Sign in to follow this  
Spartan

Richard Balls article in Evening News

Unlike the majority of reporters working for the EDP, Radio Norfolk and other local media, Richard Balls has never been reluctant to speak his mind, and what he has to say is always spot on in terms of identifying the key issues. Make sure you read his most recent article via the link provided on an earlier posting. He is a passionate supporter of NCFC, and like the rest of us is distraught at the demise of the club. After their meeting on Wednesday the board had better have come up with a clear and courageous strategy for getting us out of the mess they have created, and that doesn''t mean appoing Bryan Gunn or indeed any of his coaching team to managerial positions in the club. The majority of fans no longer want the cosy touchy - feely approach from board and managers, we no longer want a yes man who will follow the party line whatever the outcome, and we no longer want a succession of managers bereft of experience, knowledge, personality, vision, qualifications, drive, motivational skills or judgement. What we need to get our promotion season off the ground is the prompt appointment of an up and coming manager who has already experienced success, and is hungry for more, has ambition, and all those qualities sadly missing at both management and board level over the past few years. If the outcome from Wednesday''s meeting follows the normal trend, then I hope Richard will be backed by all those who like me have reached the end of their tether with the current situation, in launching a campaign to regain ownership of the club that belongs to us, not the group of spineless individuals who currently call themselves the board. 

Please come back Richard, we''re missing your column.

Is there a manager actually out there who meets all the requirements that you list, who we can afford, who will actually come here knowing Delia & Co are so despised by the fans. And.......... will all the fans unite behind this mystery person should we manage to tempt him here, I doubt it. Delia is now in a position that she will not be allowed to take the credit for any decision even if it proved to be a correct one !

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]Is there a manager actually out there who meets all the requirements that you list, who we can afford, who will actually come here knowing Delia & Co are so despised by the fans. And.......... will all the fans unite behind this mystery person should we manage to tempt him here, I doubt it. Delia is now in a position that she will not be allowed to take the credit for any decision even if it proved to be a correct one ![/quote]I don''t believe that. I think that a series of ''joined up'' decisions backed by a decent plan to get us back where we belong would be met by credit from even the most die-hard of board-outers. Do you think the board are capable of this Pirate?

Pirate

Manager we can afford? I am sure there are, trouble is, they have to do their own research don''t they, and look at the track (and sacking) record of Delia and co. Many managers appointed, many failures. Is that not an overwhelming factor in deciding something is not right at Carrow Road, on just mere coincidence?

With a more dynamic, positive and competent board of directors we would have no trouble at all in attracting a manager who could work well for us. Someone who''s already proven he can get a team promoted from the lower leagues. But at the present time this is not going to happen. The club as promoted by Delia and co is a farce. A club with magnificent support and the potential for more still is held back by outdated and ill thought out policies from on high.

Not only that, but they simply don''t learn from their mistakes.

Fans are failing to unite on anything at present, why is that do you suppose? I would suggest that an awful lot of them are (as Richard Balls says) completely fed up with being led into oblivion by a bunch of incompetent, arrogant people who hold scant regard for the fans.

Delia taking credit? For what exactly, for hoovering up 66% of the shares, for presiding over two relegations; for failing to prepare properly once promoted, for not doing very much at all to attract investment and for appointing an agency to seek investment (all at her price). And the debt? Risen just slightly hasn''t it? Oh and did I mention the calibre of players we have at Carrow Road these days?

Credit, yes, for taking us down to the Third Division. Well done Delia, credit where it''s due.

There are some good points in that article.  The one point that made me chuckle though , was the bit about getting rid off Gunn for another manager who can go out and sign some more"Cody McDonald''s".  Errr.....who signed Cody McDonald in the first place???

Great article.  No real surprise that it appears to have been hidden away in the depths of Archant''s ''Yes-Machine'' (Balls talks of sycophants but fails to mention some of his former colleagues), way too out of line to question what''s going on.......The silence may be deafening from the board on most occasions, but its similarly so from the local newspaper.  Come on Archant, grow some Balls!

Hidden away? It was on the homepage of both the Evening News and the Pinkun sites, and linked to from here on the day it was published.

Spot on piece by Balls, he always spoke sense and I often found myself verbally agreeing with the newspaper, to say I got funny looks from others around me was an understatement...

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="Canary Pirate"]Is there a manager actually out there who meets all the requirements that you list, who we can afford, who will actually come here knowing Delia & Co are so despised by the fans. And.......... will all the fans unite behind this mystery person should we manage to tempt him here, I doubt it. Delia is now in a position that she will not be allowed to take the credit for any decision even if it proved to be a correct one ![/quote]

I don''t believe that. I think that a series of ''joined up'' decisions backed by a decent plan to get us back where we belong would be met by credit from even the most die-hard of board-outers. Do you think the board are capable of this Pirate?
[/quote]

In a nutshell no, but then accidents do happen occasionally !

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Hidden away? It was on the homepage of both the Evening News and the Pinkun sites, and linked to from here on the day it was published.[/quote]Its a fair cop, Pete, my bad... I didn''t realise it was 2 weeks old, wasn''t paying attention.... my point still stands, though....

"although Andrew Turner has been clear that the split was down to “football reasons” and not the recession"

Su,s it up really, how will we get Smith and Jones out of our club, they really are destroying it!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Pirate Manager we can afford? I am sure there are, trouble is, they have to do their own research don''t they, and look at the track (and sacking) record of Delia and co. Many managers appointed, many failures. Is that not an overwhelming factor in deciding something is not right at Carrow Road, on just mere coincidence? With a more dynamic, positive and competent board of directors we would have no trouble at all in attracting a manager who could work well for us. Someone who''s already proven he can get a team promoted from the lower leagues. But at the present time this is not going to happen. The club as promoted by Delia and co is a farce. A club with magnificent support and the potential for more still is held back by outdated and ill thought out policies from on high. Not only that, but they simply don''t learn from their mistakes. Fans are failing to unite on anything at present, why is that do you suppose? I would suggest that an awful lot of them are (as Richard Balls says) completely fed up with being led into oblivion by a bunch of incompetent, arrogant people who hold scant regard for the fans. Delia taking credit? For what exactly, for hoovering up 66% of the shares, for presiding over two relegations; for failing to prepare properly once promoted, for not doing very much at all to attract investment and for appointing an agency to seek investment (all at her price). And the debt? Risen just slightly hasn''t it? Oh and did I mention the calibre of players we have at Carrow Road these days? Credit, yes, for taking us down to the Third Division. Well done Delia, credit where it''s due.[/quote]

I don''t disagree with you, I am merely making observations as to the difficulties we have had to face, are facing and will have to face for the forseeable future ! The longer this has gone on the more devisive fans have become and imo Delia will leave when she is ready and not before. The more pressure applied from fans or whomever the more she will dig her heels in, leaving me to support the club I love............and wait.

It reads as a collection of soundbites to me - but hey, why change a winning formula?[;)]

[quote user="LQ"]It reads as a collection of soundbites to me - but hey, why change a winning formula?

[;)]

[/quote]

Me too. It looks like a quickly written effort playing to what the crowd wants to hear, rather than taking the time to be a writer developing a piece that''s got some depth to it.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="LQ"]It reads as a collection of soundbites to me - but hey, why change a winning formula?

[;)]

[/quote]

Me too. It looks like a quickly written effort playing to what the crowd wants to hear, rather than taking the time to be a writer developing a piece that''s got some depth to it.

[/quote]

I know he is a local hero and all that but this end Balls by name and Balls by nature.

I think my views on Richard "power to the people" Balls are well documented.Over a period of years.Glad he''s got a day job...

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know he is a local hero and all that but this end Balls by name and Balls by nature.

[/quote]

At this end you''re a non-local zero, so therefore - we should now call you Castratedum.....A once quite ''Eunuch'' but balls long-gone, Journo.....

[quote user="LQ"]I think my views on Richard "power to the people" Balls are well documented.

Over a period of years.

Glad he''s got a day job...
[/quote]

Guess he''s blacklisted along with Tilly then is he Lisa?? Think there''s plenty who will disagree with you as I understand his column was very popular plus he seems to have  many fans on here. 

Also, like others who''ve posted, I thought he was also excellent at the meeting at St Andrews Hall the other night.

Anyone can do soundbites CA. Even Tony Blair had them down to a tee...And no, no-one else is in the same league as Tilly. He has a setting all of his own for various reasons. I''m sure he enjoys you sticking up for him like all proper women should.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At this end you''re a non-local zero, so therefore - we should now call you Castratedum.....A once quite ''Eunuch'' but balls long-gone, Journo.....

[/quote]

Absolutely devastated this end. Is that it?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely devastated this end. Is that it?

[/quote]

That''s all your worth....

[quote user="LQ"]Anyone can do soundbites CA. Even Tony Blair had them down to a tee...

And no, no-one else is in the same league as Tilly. He has a setting all of his own for various reasons. I''m sure he enjoys you sticking up for him like all proper women should.

[/quote]

I wasn''t aware I was sticking up for him, I''m sure he doesn''t need anyone to do that on his behalf especially not a woman [:)]

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Found it.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NewsSplash&itemid=NOED05%20May%202009%2011%3A03%3A52%3A653

[/quote]

It''s just back the crowd bullshit - and I should know

Here is a more interesting question.  Which person at Archant did Peter Cullum ring after he had been coerced into offering to invest in you by Charles Clarke MP (Norwich South).  It was not Cullum''s idea - he is still trying to get over being rogered by Charlie George at U15 level. - so it was Jug Ears who apparently inspired him to ring up after boring the arrus of him at a British Insurance Association dinner.

So a bright idea by Charlie?  Or was he a broker for other people?

Not likely to be investigated by the EDP any time soon and nor by Richard if he knows what is good for him.

[:|]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

Found it.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NewsSplash&itemid=NOED05%20May%202009%2011%3A03%3A52%3A653

[/quote]

It''s just back the crowd bullshit - and I should know

Here is a more interesting question.  Which person at Archant did Peter Cullum ring after he had been coerced into offering to invest in you by Charles Clarke MP (Norwich South).  It was not Cullum''s idea - he is still trying to get over being rogered by Charlie George at U15 level. - so it was Jug Ears who apparently inspired him to ring up after boring the arrus of him at a British Insurance Association dinner.

So a bright idea by Charlie?  Or was he a broker for other people?

Not likely to be investigated by the EDP any time soon and nor by Richard if he knows what is good for him.

[:|]

[/quote]

Are you sure of your information Cameldonum as you are starting to tread on dangerous ground with names of people who presumably have clout? Regardless, you don''t sound like a neutral observer without an agenda.

Absolutely certain.  I have been in this business for over half a century and I have never had a writ issued against me by anyone.

I repeat: it was not Cullum''s idea to approach Norwich City.  It was the idea of the Rt Hon Member for Norwich (South).