Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

This is what it takes to 'walk' league one..

Leicester City
 Cards
David Stockdale  
Chris Powell * Yellow Card
Marc Edworthy ** Yellow Card
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

Leicester''s team vs Scunthorpe last weekend..... doesn''t seem much does it?

Obviously Howard and Fryatt have scored a hatful between them , ''IF'' we could sign Alan Lee, presumably he could do the Howard job,? Defensively a back four of Otsemebor,Drury,Doherty & Stefanovic?? is surely better than that?.......Edworthy and Chris Powell FFS!

Experienced, hardened pros,  not on cheap wages,  each who graft for the team. There are much stronger than our players overall - would prefere Oakley to any of our central midfielders for example- who are far too weak on the ball.  Its a physical league and our namby pambies would not be able to stand up to that.   

Yes - that is a million miles away from what we have now.

And yes - Lee would be perfect in League one - and a more essential buy than any other loan player we have had this season. 

Edworthy was better than any of the right backs we''ve had since. Reading would have had to work much harder to get the crosses over on Monday to score rather than being given freedom to run around over there..

Those kind of players are exactly what we need should we go down.

Ten Million Pounds. According to Milan mandorich.

no way will our present leaders be able to match that.

and not down yet anyway. 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Leicester City
 Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

Obviously Howard and Fryatt have scored a hatful between them , ''IF'' we could sign Alan Lee, presumably he could do the Howard job,? Defensively a back four of Otsemebor,Drury,Doherty & Stefanovic?? is surely better than that?.......Edworthy and Chris Powell FFS!

[/quote]

I think the key is consistency but I do think "walked it" is slightly over egging the pud.  They took quite a while to settle into the League One "style" which included a very shaky draw with Stockport (and they were lucky to get a point) followed not long after by an unceremonious home defeat after being slightly taken aback by Millwall''s traditional earthy approach to football.  It was not until late November that the team settled and then they went on a very good unbeaten run, including six league wins.

Since then they have played extremely well, let people who wanted to play football play and learned to deal with those who merely want to stop you playing while not necessarily offering very much themselves (see under Millwall).

There are  not any Ronaldo''s in League One.  Solid hard graft rather than stars are what teams try to aim for, I think.  It can be delightfully old fashioned rather than the elaborate games of chess played in the world''s greatest league.

[quote user="CT "]I think replacing Otsemobor is a must! Most of the goals we''ve conceded this year have been down to him
[/quote]

I was thinking along the same lines, but then I realised that he''ll be one of the few players still contracted with us going into next season, and whilst he''s nowhere near Championship standard, he might be half decent at League 1, so we might as well keep him, even though personally I think he has been rubbish this season.

Leicester City
 Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]

That team Leicester has this season in League 1 uses the same strategy Worthington did to get out of the Championship. Sign up good quality experienced pros at the level you''re playing at. So next season, we''ll need an experienced and strong team full of League 1 players, with a couple of "stars" who could play at a higher level. That has to be our approach. And signing Alan Lee has to be a must. I''d happily swap Hoolahan for Lee. We also need to find some hard working wide players who can put in decent crosses. They don''t need to have bells on them or be able to the Cruyff turn or anything - just get the ball in the box with some quality. Maybe Lappin could do a job at League 1 level, he definitely has a cultured left foot?

Semmy was one of the ebst performing players in league 1 and will be very important to us next year.

[quote user="CT "]I think replacing Otsemobor is a must! Most of the goals we''ve conceded this year have been down to him [/quote]

im unsure about otsemobor, i think he needs managing, i see real potential.......... if he could stop this half way line block he seems to have!

Just because Semmy was good in league 1 a few years ago is no guarantee he''ll be any good next season. he''s the worst player in the starting 11 and i hope we sell him, swap him, or release him on a free

i''d rather we got Rossi Jarvis back than play this lazy sod for another year

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Leicester City
 Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]

I think the key is consistency but I do think "walked it" is slightly over egging the pud.  They took quite a while to settle into the League One "style" which included a very shaky draw with Stockport (and they were lucky to get a point) followed not long after by an unceremonious home defeat after being slightly taken aback by Millwall''s traditional earthy approach to football.  It was not until late November that the team settled and then they went on a very good unbeaten run, including six league wins.

Since then they have played extremely well, let people who wanted to play football play and learned to deal with those who merely want to stop you playing while not necessarily offering very much themselves (see under Millwall).

There are  not any Ronaldo''s in League One.  Solid hard graft rather than stars are what teams try to aim for, I think.  It can be delightfully old fashioned rather than the elaborate games of chess played in the world''s greatest league.

[/quote]

I think 4 defeats all season and finishing 7 points ahead of 2nd place and 9 ahead of 3rd is as much of a ''walk'' as your''e going to find!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Leicester City
 Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think 4 defeats all season and finishing 7 points ahead of 2nd place and 9 ahead of 3rd is as much of a ''walk'' as your''e going to find!

[/quote]

They have done very well but I don''t believe you can call it a walkover.  I am sure Leicester will tell you they have the bruises to prove that.  They have produced a very good side and like others relegated before them took the risk, so it is said, of keeping their main players on Championship wages.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Leicester City
  Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They have done very well but I don''t believe you can call it a walkover.  I am sure Leicester will tell you they have the bruises to prove that.  They have produced a very good side and like others relegated before them took the risk, so it is said, of keeping their main players on Championship wages.

[/quote]Exactly Cam, I''ve had the "pleasure" of seeing Leicester a fair few times this season because I work at the Walkers.  To begin with, despite getting some good results, they really struggled.  A 2-2 draw with Walsall springs to mind.  Leicester did struggle to adapt, and yes they have come through in the end with a good record.  Therefore if we get relegated, I don''t think anyone should expect us to just turn up and play people of the park, it''s just not like that in League One.

Leicester City
  Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]Stockdale was our 6th keeper of the season - all of the keepers came in did a good job.Powell - Played about 12 games, solid pro and still a good defender - very good man to have around the place too, but Mattock and Berner were our main LBs this season.Edworthy - I think he only played a handful of games, all when Gilbert was injured, who was our main RB all season with cover from Morrison. Hobbs - Sensational - developed a lotMorrison - Tunchev had this slot before he got injured in December, hes an international defender and is playing well below his level with us, Wayne Brown was also good cover, as was Morrison - both will do a good job as back up CBs next season.Oakley - A lot of true captain performances, drove the team on, is experience was invaluable to help King develop.King - Fantastic season, great long shot on him, from the academy and developed a lot throughout the season.Dyer - a goal scoring winger with exceptional pace - not had that for a while - great free signing.Gradel - Didn''t feature for a while because of a series of deaths in his family, but hes a great tricky winger and his value of £3m isn''t there for nothing. Will play at the top one day.Howard - Player of the season - sensational and a main reason for our success.Fryatt - What a 1st half of the season - his goals have obviously made our job in league One a lot easier.League One isn''t easy and we''ve used many players including a lot of loan players (Cleverly, Davies, etc). It did take a while to adapt to League One, and once we adapted around october our 23 match unbeaten run shows we did a very good job of playing good football and also battling it out when teams don''t want to play football on the ground. You need a lot of depth, like in all leagues, to be a success made up of all kind of characters from inexperience to players with years and years of experience. The team against Scunthorpe wasn''t full strenght because of injuries and to give a few of the pros ''a send off'' and thanks, and isnt a sign of our main starting 11 this year.Get a blend of youth and experience, a good feel around the club developed from the manager with discipline and the likeability factor and you''ll bounce straight back if you do go down. Easier said than done, i know but good luck for tomorrow!

Also, to add Drury, Semmi, Doc and Stefanovic wouldn''t have came close to being in our defence, and will be too weak in league, imo. Infact, i only think Clingan would have added something to our squad and he would have struggled to knock king, oakley, davies (when on loan for a few games) and Cleverley/ Berner out of the midfield spots. League one is a very tough league with some very talented players in, not just hard workers. And to answer the original question in a  quick sentence, that starting 11 isnt just what you need, as highlighted slightly in my above postThanks.

You''ve summed up League One very well - it''s the ability to adapt and as quick as you can.  And, as you will have seen and triumphed over, if you are going to try and play your football on the ground you need to do it quickly because you don''t get time on the ball from most teams. 

Good luck next season by the way.  I think it a good tribute to Leicester that many League One clubs are sorry to see you go but I am sure wish you well.

Slightly biased because my great-grandfather was in your side when you were Leicester Fosse.  [:)]

Leicester City
  Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]Hate to break it to you, but thats better than our team. Fryatt and Howard are both good championship strikers, Lloyd Dyer is Lee Croft with crossing ability, Matt Oakley is a better passer of the ball than Daryl Russell, Jack Hobbs is a very talented player who was rated highly by Liverpool fans, ask Cambridge  how good Morrison is, we all know how reliable Edworthy is...... a damn site more consistant that Omnuszi or Otsemober, Chris Powell is ancient..... but the type of player that can go on forever such is his hunger, David Stockdale is a very talented young goalkeeper who is less error prone than Marshall, Andy King has scored 10 in 55 for Leicester and is only 20 (plays for Wales under 21s and tipped for the top).And thats just that particular starting eleven. Look at the rest of their squad, Stephen Clemence, Patrick Kisnorbo, Barry Hayles, Joe Mattock (who is superb), Paul Dickov, Tunchev (Euro 2008 player).Sorry but your talking rubbish, Leicester are a better team than we are now and Manderic has bankrolled them this year. Without somebody like Manderic we have no chance, I bet Leicester have paid enough for that promotion.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[quote user="CT "]I think replacing Otsemobor is a must! Most of the goals we''ve conceded this year have been down to him [/quote]

I was thinking along the same lines, but then I realised that he''ll be one of the few players still contracted with us going into next season, and whilst he''s nowhere near Championship standard, he might be half decent at League 1, so we might as well keep him, even though personally I think he has been rubbish this season.

[/quote]I think that league one is his standard, he got in the league one team of the year before we signed him, so probably worth keeping.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Leicester City
  Cards
David Stockdale  
Jack Hobbs  
Michael Morrison  
Matt Oakley  
Lloyd Dyer  
Max-Alain Gradel ***  
Andy King  
Steve Howard Yellow Card
Matt Fryatt

[/quote]

[/quote]Well what do you know? The WUM called it correctly! Swap the teams around and you basically describe us.

As the original OP I was thinking of resurrecting this thread myself!. Turns out our ''Steve Howard'' was Grant Holt in the end and as it turned out we actually already had (bar 4 new players) a championship winning side already at the club, right under our noses !!!!

This is what it takes to ''walk'' League OneForsterR.MartinDohertyNelsonDruryRussellSmithLappinHoolahanHoltMartin

I particularly like that the Leicster fan appears to have had a run in with a certain website, as we have on occasion this season [:)]