Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Post mortum

Ultimately we DESERVE to go down. Here are the 5 main reasons relegation was always coming. I believe someone (NCSA?) needs to put them before the board and insist on some explanation/answers. Third division football is just not acceptable for a club of this size, chronic failure by those at the top.  The writing was on the wall last season but the board did NOTHING to resolve the problems- they ALL came back to bite us. Failure to grasp nettles is inexcusable at board level but that is the main charge I would lay at their door.  So here are the five:

1) Chronic asset stripping in terms of players: since the fatally mismanaged Prem season the club has clearly had a policy of ''accrue more than you spend'' each transfer window. This has led to a steady, but certain, decline in quality of footballers. Evidenced in the increasing drop in positions each and every season. No excuse can be used for this bizarre policy after all this IS a football club. Ashton- Earnshaw- Cureton- McDonald tells its own story. 

2) Hapless appointments: the board have made poor decision after poor decision concerning the managment of the club. Yo-yoing between ''nice but inexperienced'' and ''savvy but overly aggresive'' has cost us dear. Indeed the appointments are a clear sign of a regime that is not ''setting the vision'' but ''fighting the fire''. For after the hapless Grant- fear celarly moved them to appoint the power hungry Roeder, then fear again made them chooose the polar opposite in Gunny. A determined well run board would have avoided all these by choosing someone with a bit of both qualities and none of the weaknesses. Gunn is another Grant- why make the same mistake twice???

3)Failure to let go: the board claim they are seeking investment. I do not doubt this, only I fear what they mean by that is not what is actually needed. They want a nice docile millionaire willing to hand THEM money to spend, what is needed is someone to come in and inject some vision alongside capitol. It seems strange that -when there is supposedly no investment out there- we not only hear of people who tried to buy the club but grow disillusioned - we witness other clubs finding investment all the time.

4) Inability to solve basic problems: virtually every fan at the club realised BEFORE LAST SEASON that Cureton was not fit for purpose and that Dion needed replacing. It just never happened. Why no Nrowich ownded decent strikers? Why rely on loan after loan that brings disruption and takes time to gel, time and time again....why? We KNEW the strikforce needed replacing and a savvy board would have insisted the manager sorted this as a matter of priority. Not good enough....and it HAS cost us. How much has been WASTED on loans which could have secured a decent front man?

5) Loan policy: what on earth has this been about? Talk about panic and fire fighting. Millions wasted on loans, a revolving door in terms of players, no settled team- which EVERY decent Champ side can boast. The loans- combined with the constant changes in management and owned players - has led to a culture of chronic instability. Why are we surprised that players don''t seem to care- when they never field the same team three times in a row? This initself is CLEAR evidence of a club poorly managed. Noone really has a vision - and without vision all companies fail. It is just hope for the best and throw water at fire.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH BY A VERY LONG STRETCH. And the people of Norwich deserve an answer from the board and a clear indication that they have learnt lessons. Pray tell us board- What IS THE VISION at the this moment in time. Or are we to rely on champ loans next year, coupled with poor signings and fingers crossed AGAIN?

I think you may be waiting a long time to get the answers to those points.

The simple fact is that the club has been run on a prudent financial footing in all things from appointing managers to signing loan players, I think as a temporary solution until either new investment came in or we fluked promotion.

This policy has clearly backfired as we are arguably in no better a financial position than we were a few years back and from a footballing pov the decline has been all too clear.

I think unless new investment is found for next season there will be more of the same prevarication and delaying.  I just hope I am wrong.

Great post unfortunately our board do not have any vision... was it not MWJ who asked the floor for any ideas on generating investment @ the last AGM

Our board of directors are well intentioned but incompetent

I am sick of being patronised and hearing that its not their fault as all the other nasty clubs in our division have wealthy benefactors.... I wonder why we haven''t ?, perhaps it has something to do with the strict criteria Delia has set on the sale of her shares ?

Enough is simply enough Delia, MWJ, Munby, Doncaster & Foulger OUT

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

Ashton- Earnshaw- Cureton- McDonald tells its own story. 

[/quote]

He may have had a lower price tag, but I see McDonald as a step up...

McDonald has a lot of potential and think in League 1 he could score a lot of goals but the chances of finding similar quality at non league prices to fill the rest of the gaps in our team seem worse than the chances of us playing in the championship next season.