Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

OUR PROBLEM THIS SEASON! OBVIOUS!!!

I think its pretty obvious why were are where we are, and i am amazed that the so called professional football people at NCFC have allowed it to happen all season. The main reason we are down is inconsistency of team selection, resulting in inconsistency of results. Surprise surprise. We have had a different team from 1 month to the next. How many defenders have we used? 10 is it? How many strikers? 10? How many left wingers? 6, 7? Lets have a look shall we.DefendersDrury, Bertrand, Stefanovic, Kennedy, Grounds, Doherty, Shackell, Omozusi, Leijer, OtsemoborLeft WingHoolohan, Bertrand, Bell, Pattison, Carney, Gow, KoromaStrikersLupoli, Cureton, Sibierski, Lita, Hoolahan, Koroma, Gow, Mooney, Lee, McDonaldThe only areas that we have had consistent team selection is right wing, centre midfield and goalkeeper, and its no surprise that the 4 players in those positions, Croft, Clingan, Russell and Marshall have all had good seasons.Roeder''s plan of only looking 3 months ahead with the loan players has obviously been our downfall. This has resulted in inconsistency of team selection and of course results. The teams at the top are there because the play the same players week in week out. Its better to keep a settled team of contracted players rather than bring in perhaps players that are better, but who will only be here for 3 months. You can do it with one player, ie Lita, but not 4 or 5 thruout the team all season long, from 1 month to the next.Its this inconsistency that will relegate us. Why havent the club recognised this cause its obvious to me.

Good point, but you could make the same point about inconsistency of management over the last couple of seasons.

Oh and don''t forget that Rusty has played in defence and up front as well!

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Good point, but you could make the same point about inconsistency of management over the last couple of seasons.

Oh and don''t forget that Rusty has played in defence and up front as well!

[/quote]Oh yeah, so thats 11 strikers and defenders. Shocking.When you play on a sunday morning, when you had different players every week didnt it make it harder?

I can just about remember that far back but yes it did!

Players need games together to gel and understand movement etc.  This has always been the case for England too.

If we go down on Sunday and it leads to us having a max of 3 loanees in next year and a team filled with youth and passion I will not see it as the end of the world.

It is not team selection it is the quality of the players we are selecting from.  The reason so many changes have been made is because none of them are up to the job.  You list Croft, Clingan, Russell and Marshall as the quality, and I would agree adding in the Doc, but being reaslistic I would say these players rate:Clingan - top 8 Champ; Croft, Marshall. The Doc - mid-table Champ; Russell - lower 3rd ChampCan somebody tell me how a team whose best players are of this standard were possibly expected to compete over the course of a season? Out of the rest of them there is nobody who rises above mediocre, and a lot who would find their comfort level in mid-table League one.  Until we get better playing staff through the youth system or shrewd buys our fall will continue.It is the below standard squad that will relegate us, make no doubt.

I remember a manager saying a few years back (might have been Coppell) that to compete in the championship you need a squad with at least 4 Premiership quality stars in it and to compete in the Prem you need one with at least 4 world class stars.

We have not had the quality for years, but when we had Green and Hucks and Crouch it led to promotion.

We must not forget about alienated players: we had Lappin and Lupoli, who wanted to play but hardly had a chance under Roeder, Gunn fell out with Pattison and Fotheringam in the same fashion. It''s not exactly a good practice, is it? 

[quote user="Barclayman"]I think its pretty obvious why were are where we are, and i am amazed that the so called professional football people at NCFC have allowed it to happen all season. The main reason we are down is inconsistency of team selection, resulting in inconsistency of results. Surprise surprise. We have had a different team from 1 month to the next. How many defenders have we used? 10 is it? How many strikers? 10? How many left wingers? 6, 7? Lets have a look shall we.DefendersDrury, Bertrand, Stefanovic, Kennedy, Grounds, Doherty, Shackell, Omozusi, Leijer, OtsemoborLeft WingHoolohan, Bertrand, Bell, Pattison, Carney, Gow, KoromaStrikersLupoli, Cureton, Sibierski, Lita, Hoolahan, Koroma, Gow, Mooney, Lee, McDonaldThe only areas that we have had consistent team selection is right wing, centre midfield and goalkeeper, and its no surprise that the 4 players in those positions, Croft, Clingan, Russell and Marshall have all had good seasons.Roeder''s plan of only looking 3 months ahead with the loan players has obviously been our downfall. This has resulted in inconsistency of team selection and of course results. The teams at the top are there because the play the same players week in week out. Its better to keep a settled team of contracted players rather than bring in perhaps players that are better, but who will only be here for 3 months. You can do it with one player, ie Lita, but not 4 or 5 thruout the team all season long, from 1 month to the next.Its this inconsistency that will relegate us. Why havent the club recognised this cause its obvious to me.[/quote]Russell played a few games as a striker