Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Why am I not Upset?

It''s been a long while since I last posted on here but wanted to say this.  On the way home from the game last night it struck me that even though we are looking at third tier football for the first time in my lifetime, I was just not as upset or as angry as I thought I would be.  I thought about it long and hard and came up with what I think are the reasons for my numbness to our plight.Firstly I don''t feel the same connection to the club or the team anymore.  Loan players and the quick turnover in contracted players/amangers  have made it difficult to support a group that is constantly changing.Secondly, I am not that angry and upset because I have been feeling like that for several years.  The continual failures in the transfer market, lack of clear team building, being told there is no money then reporting £m''s in profit, bad managerial appointments and poor player recruitment are just a few things that have made me upset but I could list many more.Lastly and the main reason I don''t think I am upset is because I think if we go down, we are getting exactly what we deserve.  You reap what you sow and we have been sowing nothing for years.  The board have spent so much time worrying about what will happen in 5 or 10 years time that they have been so blind to the here and now on the pitch.  How many times have we heard that we don''t want to do a "Leeds".  Well geuss what, we could easily be in the same league at Leeds next season with huge debts that we will struggle with despite or "prudence".  You can''t run a football club without a team and to be honest we dont have one.Of course there is still hope that Barnsley will lose win we will win and be safe and I will not need to worry why I am not upset but I don''t hold much hope considering we have failed to win the majority of our must win games this season.

Fair points all.  Whatever happens on Sunday we need to make sure that there is a watershed moment after the final whistle and a new era can begin where we all start to enjoy supporting NCFC again whatever league we are playing in.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]It''s been a long while since I last posted on here but wanted to say this.  On the way home from the game last night it struck me that even though we are looking at third tier football for the first time in my lifetime, I was just not as upset or as angry as I thought I would be.  I thought about it long and hard and came up with what I think are the reasons for my numbness to our plight.

Firstly I don''t feel the same connection to the club or the team anymore.  Loan players and the quick turnover in contracted players/amangers  have made it difficult to support a group that is constantly changing.

Secondly, I am not that angry and upset because I have been feeling like that for several years.  The continual failures in the transfer market, lack of clear team building, being told there is no money then reporting £m''s in profit, bad managerial appointments and poor player recruitment are just a few things that have made me upset but I could list many more.

Lastly and the main reason I don''t think I am upset is because I think if we go down, we are getting exactly what we deserve.  You reap what you sow and we have been sowing nothing for years.  The board have spent so much time worrying about what will happen in 5 or 10 years time that they have been so blind to the here and now on the pitch.  How many times have we heard that we don''t want to do a "Leeds".  Well geuss what, we could easily be in the same league at Leeds next season with huge debts that we will struggle with despite or "prudence".  You can''t run a football club without a team and to be honest we dont have one.

Of course there is still hope that Barnsley will lose win we will win and be safe and I will not need to worry why I am not upset but I don''t hold much hope considering we have failed to win the majority of our must win games this season.
[/quote]

Very good post SC. It pretty much sums up the way I''m feeling.

I have been feeling for a while now that maybe we just have to take the hit of going down in order to sort the club out once and for all. We have been rubbish for years now. We deserve to go down and maybe it will be the jolt needed for the real change that is needed. If we had stayed up I could just see another season of the same next season!

Totally agree Saint. I think your point about the transient nature of the people involved with the club is the most telling. From the board to the playing staff - they don''t want to be here. Most have no choice at least until the summer and Delia can''t get out without her money. The only ones who want to be there are the 17k+ Season Ticket holders - and we are powerless to do anything about the current situation. Division 3 football, a good clearout and, as my young daughter said at the end of last night, "at least we might see them win a few games next year - these last four years have been pants"!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I have been feeling for a while now that maybe we just have to take the hit of going down in order to sort the club out once and for all. We have been rubbish for years now. We deserve to go down and maybe it will be the jolt needed for the real change that is needed. If we had stayed up I could just see another season of the same next season![/quote]I agree with that and I think that is another reason that I am not quite as upset as I could be.  As you say, if we stay up you can just see more of the same next time.  If we go down the hope is that the likes of Spillane McDonald, Martin and a couple of other younger players may be more involved in the first team.  Then maybe, just maybe, we might start to actually build a side for the future rather than continue on as the short-term team we have become.  I can''t see us coming straight back up if we go down, the spine of the team is too weak and needs rebuilding almost from scratch but I don''t care.  If I get my club back I don''t mind being patient.

Totally agree with all these comments. We came away from the ground and said exactly the same thing.

If we were a good side, I would feel frustrated and sad but this board and series of managers deserve exactly what they''ve got.

The team doesn''t reflect the crowds loyalty. We use to have songs/chants for nearly all of the players a few years ago. Now there is none.

I have renewed my ST but i don''t think I will bring myself to attend next season unless the club signals it''s intent to have a plan of recovery. Unfortunately that means a complete clear out of board, manager and coaches, a new owner(s) who are proper business people with a professional passion for the game. So....dream on!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]

I have renewed my ST but i don''t think I will bring myself to attend next season unless the club signals it''s intent to have a plan of recovery. [/quote]

So you''ll be supporting the board but not the team.  Give me strength. 

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]

I have renewed my ST but i don''t think I will bring myself to attend next season unless the club signals it''s intent to have a plan of recovery. [/quote]

So you''ll be supporting the board but not the team.  Give me strength. 

[/quote]

The mirror image of my friend Mr Carrow. They should get together, Bury buys the ticket - Mr Carrow goes to the games. Everyones happy! Job''s a good''un!!

I feel the same SC. Although I''m oddly relieved too. It''s insane putting emotional energy into something so painfully flawed. After last night I felt like I''d been excused any further hurt. Had we looked like scoring or even worrying them I''d have felt robbed or frustrated but in the end I just felt numb.