Sign in to follow this  
Iwan_09

League 1 clearout

Now are fate is all-but sealed who do you think we should try and keep/axe for next season.

Personally I think the main people we need to KEEP are...

MARSHALL

DOHERTY

SHACKELL

CLINGAN

CROFT

HOOLAHAN

LAPPIN

Everyone else, including Gunn, I am not bothered about... I will actually pay for Dave Carney''s flight back to Aus - he was embarrassing last night.

Managerial prefernces as well?? - Steve Tilson for me.

I wouldn''t keep Marshall if someone offers reasonable money, Shackell we won''t be able to afford and i would not be at all surprised to see Doc sold too!

I''d definitely keep McDonald....

The main problem with this list is that these players will be the most difficult to keep. (Well, Shakell is not ours in the first place...)

Further problem seems to be that we ought to offer them at least their current wages. Now that would involve ambition...

As for manager - I''d go for Hareide -- in the hope of some good, physically strong Scandinavian players.

finances will dictate a major clearout.  they will start to rebuild using more of the academy lads and you may see 1 or 2 of the others on your list stay.  anyone that is worth anything will be on their way to make ends meet.

I think the players to leave will be:

Hoolahan,

Clingan (for a much reduced fee)

Marshall,

Cureton, Fozzy, Pattison.

In addition the only one of the loanees I can see us getting in League 1 is Lee as he wants to move back to the area - though this might change if another team comes in for him.

Going to be a chance for the kids next year.

Wes is obviously a moody beggar but if we get someone in to put an arm round his shoulder hopefully we can convince him to stay.

I admit keeping Shacks is optimistic but Doc will be solid in League 1.

McDonald will cause loads of problems next year from what I saw last night so we just need a could target man alongside him... 

why would anyone want to keep Croft, drury or Russell not good enough even in league 1, sums up a lot of fans Croft Player of the season when all he can do is run, cant cross a ball for toffees, but then again cos he scored against Ipswich, how sad,  bring back Hucks Gunn has to go along with Doomcaster and the smiths.

Marshall possibly. supose reserve scottish goalkeepers can make it down here sometimes, Bryan, but keepers that punch never do it for me. why did they get rid of lewis??? sell him get him off the wage bill, play our young un.

Doherty. strong as an ox, plays like one. thruppeny-bit head. Roeder did not rate him, ended up having to play him, less of a liability upfront, thats where he should have played.

Shackell. just forget him, he''s history

Clingan, will be right at home in lg.1 where he came from, if city hang on to him?? his first and only season in the chump was not brilliant

Croft.  prob. played his last game already, wage bill cuts dictate he will be off.

Hoolahan. if he stays, overcomes injury,  will rip up Lg. 1. the one to keep on your list.

as for the rest, we shall have to wait and see who remains

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I think the players to leave will be:

Hoolahan,

Clingan (for a much reduced fee)

Marshall,

Cureton, Fozzy, Pattison.

In addition the only one of the loanees I can see us getting in League 1 is Lee as he wants to move back to the area - though this might change if another team comes in for him.

Going to be a chance for the kids next year.

[/quote]

Fourth Division, here we come![:|]

LOL - at least we will get there with our own players and hopefully in spite of our best efforts, rather than the damp squib that has been this years campaign.

Marshall, Pattison, Cort, Clingan, Hoolahan, Lappin and Croft are the players I expect to see leave.

I think Russell and Otsemobor could too.

With all them going, aswell as the loanee''s, I can''t see us having a backbone of the team. If you look at Leicester, they kept the majority of the squad and made a few more additions. I think we have to add a spine to the side as soon as possible, and the board will have to give back all the money they get from the transfer back to the manager, whoever that might actually be. It needs to be someone proven in that level, and I agree with some posters that Steve Tilson would be a great appointment.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

Marshall, Pattison, Cort, Clingan, Hoolahan, Lappin and Croft are the players I expect to see leave.

I think Russell and Otsemobor could too.

With all them going, aswell as the loanee''s, I can''t see us having a backbone of the team. If you look at Leicester, they kept the majority of the squad and made a few more additions. I think we have to add a spine to the side as soon as possible, and the board will have to give back all the money they get from the transfer back to the manager, whoever that might actually be. It needs to be someone proven in that level, and I agree with some posters that Steve Tilson would be a great appointment.

[/quote]

Oh yes deffo please![Y]

I think we have a total clear out keeping on the young players of note.I work abroad and after running about for a day and buying the equipment to watch nowich on Showtime Arabia lastnight I felt totally diconnected from what I saw.I am shocked with the unbalaced nature of the side let alone the lack of quality on diplay.Just look at our opponents last night Reading who where not really that good and it made it all the more upsetting as it shows that the difference between top and bottom in this league is not great.However what Steve Coppell does and I admire it put together balanced sides ie solid players in correct positions and tries to keep it simple creating width crossing into the box and this lead to two simple goals.  This is the kind of balance we need to create for success in the 1 next season I would go for youngsters and affordable lower division players and clear out everyone worth any money and on higher wages.If we do keep anyone I would suggest keeping a experienced central defender, Clinigan (though most likely off) and Hoolahan (unleast till jan).  These would give a spine of a team which we can then augment with young raw talent.You can be poor and balanced, but you cannot be poor and unbalanced last night showed whoever goes its no loss.As for Ostenboor he looked like a sprinter playing football first out, he has the pace and build to be top class but he is not two fullbacks have to be first on the shopping list modern footballs most important position.

?????????

semmy  doc stefanovic   drury

pattison   russell  ?????  hoolahan

lee   mcdonald

would defo sell marshall in a decent offer comes in, as for clingan i epect there to be alot of interest and he will want to leave. Hoolahan will be absoulutely key for us net season so the board must do all they can to keep him. Lee said he will sign regardless of relegation so if we have some spare cash it should be spent on him. Pattison will be a very good player in league one so differances need to be sorted, he has all the attributes to do well.

if we can add another keeper and a goalscoring midfielder to the nine above we should do well...................

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

?????????

lee   mcdonald

would defo sell marshall in a decent offer comes in, as for clingan i epect there to be alot of interest and he will want to leave. Hoolahan will be absoulutely key for us net season so the board must do all they can to keep him. Lee said he will sign regardless of relegation so if we have some spare cash it should be spent on him. Pattison will be a very good player in league one so differances need to be sorted, he has all the attributes to do well.

if we can add another keeper and a goalscoring midfielder to the nine above we should do well...................

[/quote]

I would look at adding a goalie, left back, centre-mid, right wing and a striker to that team. Lee and McDonald didnt encourage me whatsoever yesturday.

[quote user="Iwan_09"]

Now are fate is all-but sealed who do you think we should try and keep/axe for next season.

Personally I think the main people we need to KEEP are...

MARSHALL

DOHERTY

SHACKELL

(CLINGAN)

CROFT

HOOLAHAN

LAPPIN

Everyone else, including Gunn, I am not bothered about... I will actually pay for Dave Carney''s flight back to Aus - he was embarrassing last night.

Managerial prefernces as well?? - Steve Tilson for me.

[/quote]IF we are relegated - we may just keep Clingan in the short term subject to us maintaining an instant promotion push - and maybe the promise of a Huckerby return thrown in. Croft I think has already packed his bags and Hoolahan would struggle int he 1st Division anyway. Pattison has little allegiance to us even if he was wanted. Fotheringham would stay if given the chance I think because he will find a good move difficult IMO. We couldn''t afford Shackell - shame! Selling Marshall might be good business anyway. I fancy Doherty and Lappin would be realistic on wages and might give it a go, especially if Clingan stayed. Lee and McDonald could stand us in good stead - I just hope the board don''t see an instant profit around Cody Mac..

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

?????????

lee   mcdonald

[/quote]

I would look at adding a goalie, left back, centre-mid, right wing and a striker to that team. Lee and McDonald didnt encourage me whatsoever yesturday.

[/quote]In their defense it looked like it was gunns mistake we had a completely unbalanced formation leaving Cody and lee needing to play like messi to make any chances it didn;t happen and thus we did not score.If Mc Donald and lee where playing for Reading lee would have loved those crosses and cody maybe would have had some joy getting the ball closer to goal.   Though lets be honest they have neverplayer together before with no service.