Sign in to follow this  
Blainsey

Why we HAD to go for Gunn

Specualtive perhaps but,

we couldnt afford to go for anyone else. After Roeder''s payoff (must have been huge) and with the board only wanting a manager until the end of the season, it was only ever going to be Gunn.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Specualtive perhaps but,

we couldnt afford to go for anyone else. After Roeder''s payoff (must have been huge) and with the board only wanting a manager until the end of the season, it was only ever going to be Gunn.

[/quote]

No Sh~te Sherlock.....!!

Number One objective for the board  at the time was season ticket renewals (i.e. money in the bank) - they felt Gunn was the best man to meet that objective and you have to say they met it. Sod the fact that we might actually need anyone with an ounce of managerial experience to get us out of the predicament we were in then - the rest is history.....

The fact that it looks like (barring a miracle) we are going down is depressing enough - what makes is even worse is that we will probably stick with the hospitality man next season because we can''t afford to do anything else...

Foulger paid Roeder off personally, which I was told was '' much higher than was the quoted figure of the time''. I estimate Roeder was paid off at least £600K, possibly nearing £800K. Whatever Roeder lack of nous, he certainly knew how to take our amateur board to the cleaners come goodbye time.

The problem is that now we heading for League One, we won''t be able to attract quality managers. I can''t see Boothroyd et all queueing up this time. All this said, Gunn is not an option and if he is given the job permanently, I will be even more disgusted with this club than I already am.

[quote user="The Judge"][quote user="Blainsey"]

Specualtive perhaps but,

[/quote]

No Sh~te Sherlock.....!!

Number One objective for the board  at the time was season ticket renewals (i.e. money in the bank) - they felt Gunn was the best man to meet that objective and you have to say they met it. Sod the fact that we might actually need anyone with an ounce of managerial experience to get us out of the predicament we were in then - the rest is history.....

The fact that it looks like (barring a miracle) we are going down is depressing enough - what makes is even worse is that we will probably stick with the hospitality man next season because we can''t afford to do anything else...

[/quote]

Just yet another scape goat for the inept boardroom, coming up with yet more diversary tactics , these people must be got rid of, big question is  HOW?

Imo, Gunn should get next season at least.Yeah he didn''t keep us up, but he gave it a bloody good go, and we''ve fallen down towards the end, but we are only missing that one player with spark and invention, ala Hucks/Hoolahan.If Hooly hadn''t been crocked I think we would be staying up. He is creative and inventive, and that is the only thing we are really missing, and that lack of spark was obvious last night. I don''t think you can blame Gunny for that; or indeed the mess he inherited. Carney aside I think his loan signings have been astute, yes he is learning, he doesn''t make subs early enough, and sometimes his tactics are questionable, but overall I think it would positive to keep him. I''m not saying that because he is a City legend, I''m saying it because I think he will be a great manager. The thing is, HE NEEDS TIME.We cannot stay in the same rut of changing our manager once a season, we need some stability, and Gunn has all the right personal qualities to be a manager, he has the right people around him too. You can point towards his time as Head of player recruitment and say his dealings there weren''t brilliant, which I would agree with, but remember he didnt have the final say in signing them. Who really knows how many Cody Macs, Gunn suggested and had shot down?!Gunny, Crooky, and Butterworth (Butterworthy?!) are a fairly inexperienced team. They have all the makings of a great team, they just need some time. I don''t think we will bounce back next season, I expect a respectable high mid-table finish - 8th or similar. The season after, if we stick with them, I think we will storm the division.Gunny seems to have the right players coming in - Cody mac, Gow, Lee, Mooney, Shacks.... we won''t have all of them next season, but we will have Cody and it seems like Alan Lee wants to stay regardless of division, whether we can afford him is another matter entirely... I trust Gunny to make the right signings and get the right players in. I''d like to see Lappin sign a new deal too, he is worth another contract, especially in League 1 - he''d be excellent at that level.Relegation gives us an opportunity to get rid of the sh*t high wage earners - Fozzy, Cureton et al.I would like to see a team of our own players come in. Mainly young hungry players, from League 1 or 2 clubs... boys with a point to prove.... no more egos... Just players who want to play for the shirt, players who will give us some loyalty for giving them their big shot. I was one of the people who didnt think Hucks was good enough when he left. In league one, and having changed his game up to compensate for losing some of his pace he would be brilliant.I''m fully behind Gunny, I think he has the ability to be fantastic for us, and to get us up from Lg 1 in a few years. He just doesn''t yet have the experience.I hope he stays next season and beyond.

[quote user="kick it off"]Imo, Gunn should get next season at least.

Yeah he didn''t keep us up, but he gave it a bloody good go, and we''ve fallen down towards the end, but we are only missing that one player with spark and invention, ala Hucks/Hoolahan.

If Hooly hadn''t been crocked I think we would be staying up. He is creative and inventive, and that is the only thing we are really missing, and that lack of spark was obvious last night. I don''t think you can blame Gunny for that; or indeed the mess he inherited.

Carney aside I think his loan signings have been astute, yes he is learning, he doesn''t make subs early enough, and sometimes his tactics are questionable, but overall I think it would positive to keep him. I''m not saying that because he is a City legend, I''m saying it because I think he will be a great manager.

The thing is, HE NEEDS TIME.

We cannot stay in the same rut of changing our manager once a season, we need some stability, and Gunn has all the right personal qualities to be a manager, he has the right people around him too. You can point towards his time as Head of player recruitment and say his dealings there weren''t brilliant, which I would agree with, but remember he didnt have the final say in signing them. Who really knows how many Cody Macs, Gunn suggested and had shot down?!

Gunny, Crooky, and Butterworth (Butterworthy?!) are a fairly inexperienced team. They have all the makings of a great team, they just need some time. I don''t think we will bounce back next season, I expect a respectable high mid-table finish - 8th or similar. The season after, if we stick with them, I think we will storm the division.

Gunny seems to have the right players coming in - Cody mac, Gow, Lee, Mooney, Shacks.... we won''t have all of them next season, but we will have Cody and it seems like Alan Lee wants to stay regardless of division, whether we can afford him is another matter entirely... I trust Gunny to make the right signings and get the right players in. I''d like to see Lappin sign a new deal too, he is worth another contract, especially in League 1 - he''d be excellent at that level.

Relegation gives us an opportunity to get rid of the sh*t high wage earners - Fozzy, Cureton et al.

I would like to see a team of our own players come in. Mainly young hungry players, from League 1 or 2 clubs... boys with a point to prove.... no more egos... Just players who want to play for the shirt, players who will give us some loyalty for giving them their big shot. I was one of the people who didnt think Hucks was good enough when he left. In league one, and having changed his game up to compensate for losing some of his pace he would be brilliant.

I''m fully behind Gunny, I think he has the ability to be fantastic for us, and to get us up from Lg 1 in a few years. He just doesn''t yet have the experience.

I hope he stays next season and beyond.
[/quote]

Completely agree mate, good post.

[quote user="kick it off"]Imo, Gunn should get next season at least.

Yeah he didn''t keep us up, but he gave it a bloody good go, and we''ve fallen down towards the end, but we are only missing that one player with spark and invention, ala Hucks/Hoolahan.

If Hooly hadn''t been crocked I think we would be staying up. He is creative and inventive, and that is the only thing we are really missing, and that lack of spark was obvious last night. I don''t think you can blame Gunny for that; or indeed the mess he inherited.

Carney aside I think his loan signings have been astute, yes he is learning, he doesn''t make subs early enough, and sometimes his tactics are questionable, but overall I think it would positive to keep him. I''m not saying that because he is a City legend, I''m saying it because I think he will be a great manager.

The thing is, HE NEEDS TIME.

We cannot stay in the same rut of changing our manager once a season, we need some stability, and Gunn has all the right personal qualities to be a manager, he has the right people around him too. You can point towards his time as Head of player recruitment and say his dealings there weren''t brilliant, which I would agree with, but remember he didnt have the final say in signing them. Who really knows how many Cody Macs, Gunn suggested and had shot down?!

Gunny, Crooky, and Butterworth (Butterworthy?!) are a fairly inexperienced team. They have all the makings of a great team, they just need some time. I don''t think we will bounce back next season, I expect a respectable high mid-table finish - 8th or similar. The season after, if we stick with them, I think we will storm the division.

Gunny seems to have the right players coming in - Cody mac, Gow, Lee, Mooney, Shacks.... we won''t have all of them next season, but we will have Cody and it seems like Alan Lee wants to stay regardless of division, whether we can afford him is another matter entirely... I trust Gunny to make the right signings and get the right players in. I''d like to see Lappin sign a new deal too, he is worth another contract, especially in League 1 - he''d be excellent at that level.

Relegation gives us an opportunity to get rid of the sh*t high wage earners - Fozzy, Cureton et al.

I would like to see a team of our own players come in. Mainly young hungry players, from League 1 or 2 clubs... boys with a point to prove.... no more egos... Just players who want to play for the shirt, players who will give us some loyalty for giving them their big shot. I was one of the people who didnt think Hucks was good enough when he left. In league one, and having changed his game up to compensate for losing some of his pace he would be brilliant.

I''m fully behind Gunny, I think he has the ability to be fantastic for us, and to get us up from Lg 1 in a few years. He just doesn''t yet have the experience.

I hope he stays next season and beyond.
[/quote]

The club does not have time to get it right though. More than one season in League One and we will become another run of the mill League One club and then to where?

I cannot honestly believe anyone can say Gunn has done enough to get the job full time. Last night his team selections and substitutions were very poor, the team looked lacking in confidence, leadership and drive..and dare i say it, looked unfit compared to the Reading team!