Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Cody McDonald: Whats all the fuss about?

I’m not saying the lad didn’t do ok last night but everyone seems to be reporting on an ‘incredible’ performance. I’m not deliberately being a miserable sod when I say this but apart from a couple of decent dribbles last night Cody McDonald actually looked pretty poor. He looked clumsy on the ball, he constantly lost possession by overrunning straight to defenders, his link up play was messy, he showed greed on the ball (a simple lay off to Lee during the first half could and should have opened the scoring), his runs were poorly timed. Basically he looked like he was making it up as he went along with little or no input from Mr Gunn. There was no sign of a tactical approach to his game whatsoever. I’m just a little baffled why everyone see’s him as a decent signing. Sure he’s only been in the professional game for two months but I don’t think he is anywhere good enough to play of Norwich City.

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

I’m not saying the lad didn’t do ok last night but everyone seems to be reporting on an ‘incredible’ performance. I’m not deliberately being a miserable sod when I say this but apart from a couple of decent dribbles last night Cody McDonald actually looked pretty poor. He looked clumsy on the ball, he constantly lost possession by overrunning straight to defenders, his link up play was messy, he showed greed on the ball (a simple lay off to Lee during the first half could and should have opened the scoring), his runs were poorly timed. Basically he looked like he was making it up as he went along with little or no input from Mr Gunn. There was no sign of a tactical approach to his game whatsoever. I’m just a little baffled why everyone see’s him as a decent signing. Sure he’s only been in the professional game for two months but I don’t think he is anywhere good enough to play of Norwich City.

[/quote]

I agree that a lot of the praise is overdone, but I also think that that''s the case with your criticism. Cody is fresh from non league football and is far from the finished article. Unfortunately a few armchair pundits have decieded that he is the best thing since sliced bread on the back of a few sub appearances and his goal against Cardiff.

What he has got is pace, self confidence and a good first touch, which means that with PATIENCE he has all that''s necessary to become a very good striker at this level. We hear that he has a good attitude but he needs to be developed slowly and given the chance to learn from more experienced players. Throwing him in at the deep end and expecting him to be consistently excellent is both unrealistic and unfair on the lad.

Completely disagree.Cody was the only player with directness and a willingness to run at defenders. He gave Duberry and co a tough time, and whenever he had the ball Reading defended in numbers and he had 3 players around him every time, often breaking away from the pack with pace and skill. Make no doubt about it Reading''s defence was superb, and against a lesser team Cody will do well. He had several great runs, was chopped down and given ludicrous fouls against. The pen appeal was a joke and the defender should have been red carded in the 1st half.His pace was a threat and if you ask Duberry i think he''ll say he was a constant threat.

I think Cody looks very promising. But the fact that in our most crucial game of the season we were asking a totally inexperienced young lad who was a scaffolder a couple of months ago to carry our attack really sums up the mess this club has got itself into.

Based on last nights performance if we are to play Cody from the start we have to take him off after about 60 mins as he gives his all and looked knackered towards the end of the game.

Given how he kept drifiting wide I would be inclined to look at playing him on the wing on Sunday as think he should not be displacing Lee or Mooney up front for 90 mins.

He is an unpolished diamond. His first touch is letting him down and he needs to work on controlling the ball when it''s at his feet but he is exciting to watch and I feel and hope he comes good.[Y] 

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Given how he kept drifiting wide I would be inclined to look at playing him on the wing on Sunday as think he should not be displacing Lee or Mooney up front for 90 mins.

[/quote]

He was drifting wide because that was where the midfielders were putting it for him. He needs intelligent balls through the middle or over the top, so he can use his very clever movement and pace to run onto the ball.

He - like Lee - was given exceptionally poor service yesterday.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think Cody looks very promising. But the fact that in our most crucial game of the season we were asking a totally inexperienced young lad who was a scaffolder a couple of months ago to carry our attack really sums up the mess this club has got itself into.[/quote]

You''ve summed it up perfectly Robert. There''s a big step up from impact substitute for the last ten to starting against one of the division''s better teams.

+1Also expecting to play what at times looked like 4-3-3 which is a difficult formation for forward players especially young ones (mc d) and large ones (Lee) leaving them exposed and outnumbered.With a summer with professional fitness trainers and facilties he is going to be wise investment.

I think we have one for the future in young Cody, sure the praise has been over the top but so has the criticism. The front two got very little in the way of service. The seasoned pro that is Alan Lee did not do a lot really and he tended to drift out wide as well. Last night showed that we have  a lack of pacey wide players to get in behind opposition defences and cross a decent ball into the box.......unlike Reading.....

[/quote]

I think you are being far too harsh on the lad, give him the summer and I think you''ll start to see a more rounded player.

hard to judge watching on the tele etc...

but this is the first time i''ve seen the lad play bar goal highlights etc....

he looked your only genuienly threat on the field for a goal bar clingan freekick

he may not be the most gifted player attributes wise and was bit naive with some fouls, but he troubled the reading like mad until they went 1-0up

Where''s the bloke I was talking to who reckoned Alan Lee was going to rough up Michael Duberry.

It was like watching a superfit bouncer controlling a reeling drunk.

Totally agree![quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think Cody looks very promising. But the fact that in our most crucial game of the season we were asking a totally inexperienced young lad who was a scaffolder a couple of months ago to carry our attack really sums up the mess this club has got itself into.[/quote]

I dont think you can read into or base anything on his performance against big, strong defenders who could be in the Premiership in three months, whenthe boy was a part timer a few months ago!He did very little last night, but more than I expected.  In league one he will do a great job for us.[quote user="rjwc22"]

Based on last nights performance if we are to play Cody from the start we have to take him off after about 60 mins as he gives his all and looked knackered towards the end of the game.

[/quote]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think Cody looks very promising. But the fact that in our most crucial game of the season we were asking a totally inexperienced young lad who was a scaffolder a couple of months ago to carry our attack really sums up the mess this club has got itself into.[/quote]

Never a truer word been said

[quote user="norfolk royal"]

Where''s the bloke I was talking to who reckoned Alan Lee was going to rough up Michael Duberry.

It was like watching a superfit bouncer controlling a reeling drunk.

[/quote]

audley harrison then lol

[/quote]

what did you expect from a player playing non-league football 4 months ago.

at least the effort was there.

if he is nowhere good enough to play for NCFC what about Gow, Otsemebor and Lee who were absolute pants last night?

I agree with an earlier comment regarding his poor first touch, which was clearly noticeable in an otherwise impressive performance by him.  Definately needs some work before he becomes anywhere near a regular starter - even in League 1.

Also an issue (although not Mr McDonald''s fault) was the fact that Gunn didn''t notice how much Cody was ''blowing out of his @rse'' in the last 20 minutes of the game.  He looked absolutely KNACKERED (unsuprisingly due to the circumstances).

Felt a little sorry for shackell, as I don''t believe he lost Shane Long twice on purpose, and I''m sure he''s feeling bad about letting his teammates down - even if / when he does go back to wolves.

To be honest, last night made the final game a little more of a tepid affair.  I doubt any but the most feverant (or insane) city supporters truly expect or even hope that we can stay up now. 

I''m sorry but I''ve depressed myself with this melancholic tripe, and don''t have the heart to check it for errors by re-reading it...

Cody has the potential to be a key player for us, give him time and be patient.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]He is an unpolished diamond. His first touch is letting him down and he needs to work on controlling the ball when it''s at his feet but he is exciting to watch and I feel and hope he comes good.[Y] [/quote]

I agree.  He scored against Cardiff and, of course, everyone thought he was going to score every game and keep us up. He does look promising and I reckon he will do just great in League 1, gain a bit of experience and then, no doubt, move on to another Club who have better prospects and more cash!

Seriously he is the sort of player we need next season. Someone who actually wants to play......

Well it would appear Im the only one who cant see the potential in the lad. Maybe I wasnt looking hard enough. I just fear that people are''nt confusing determination and hunger with quality. The lad has pace but pace is useless without product and intelligance. I believe League One would be more fitting to the lads talents. Hopefully we will see a much improved player come the start of next season.