Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Hawkings Football Boots

it might not be over yet...

If southampton fold, which according to the guardian, they will do in 7 days if they dont find an investor. wont their results be discounted? if that happens forest will be deducted 3 points and we will loose 1 point. as forest are playing southampton on sunday we would just need to win to stay up.

Does anyone know the rules on this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/27/southampton-future-threat-buyer

I''m guessing that if they complete their league program then it wont matter one little bit.  Let''s not try and think up any more ways we could stay up eh lol?

[quote user="olej"]If southampton fold, which according to the guardian, they will do in 7 days if they dont find an investor. wont their results be discounted? if that happens forest will be deducted 3 points and we will loose 1 point. as forest are playing southampton on sunday we would just need to win to stay up.

Does anyone know the rules on this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/27/southampton-future-threat-buyer[/quote]They won''t fold - clubs never do.  Coventry nearly folded last year I think - then the bank / football league / whoever just gave the new buyer a bit longer to complete the purchase.  Too many potential customers support football teams, it would be bad business for Aviva / Barclays whoever to be seen to be the lender that killed Southampton.

Actually, having posted that - I read this - looks like Barclays want their money back and aren''t fussy how it happens...Football braced for Southampton replayThe situation at Southampton, whose parent company went into administration, could be repeated elsewhere, according to banking sources.Southampton Leisure Holdings'' collapse came after Barclays demanded more investment in the club as a prerequisite of extending its overdraft. But shareholders were unable to provide those funds, prompting the bank''s decision to foreclose. That came as a surprise since as the Premier League''s title sponsor its commitment to football is higher-profile than any other bank''s. But Barclays is not alone among lenders who consider the days of unsecured debt finance for football to be over.The annual rich list reflected that club owners are watching their wealth plunge, and banks'' demands for fresh investment are expected to cause problems. "Banks are looking at [shareholder] investment levels," said a source. "Investment was a key issue for Southampton and will be a greater issue going forward. Other clubs may look for support [from the banks] but there could be an issue if they cannot also invest their own funds." There has been speculation the Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia, whose £350.5m loan to Liverpool must be refinanced in July, made clear during meetings last week with the owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, that they would require fresh investment to extend the credit line.

If they complete their league program then ALL results stand, an extra side would be promoted through the leagues from Conference up I think if this travesty ever occured

I''d assume the league would only disregard the second half the season results as the first half had been fairly completed, I also expect that Forest would fight like hell if that happened in your twisted scenario

[quote user="olej"]we only got a point off of southampton, they got 3 and are going to play them on sunday.

So that would leave the table looking like this:

Barnsley P 43 pnts 48

Forest P44 pnts 47

Plymouth P43 pnts 47

----------------------

norwich P 43 Pnts 45

Charlton p43 pnts 32[/quote]Sorry olej, but that''s no way to stay up.  If we don''t earn the right, we shouldn''t be here.

[quote user="walkley_owl"]I''d assume the league would only disregard the second half the season results as the first half had been fairly completed, I also expect that Forest would fight like hell if that happened in your twisted scenario[/quote]

The Administrators say there is no problem in Southampton completing their games and they will do so.  The problem is after that if a deal cannot be struck.  At the moment most of the players wages and day to day expenses of the club have been paid for by the fans who have put in around about £140,000 so far.

As others have pointed out if they complete their fixtures all their results will stand whether they go bust immediately afterwards or not. 

I would sooner see the club be relegated to legue 1 than gain a lifeline through the political side of football, if we finish in the bottom 3 we deserve to go down.