Sign in to follow this  
Panic

A Good Article that boldly tries to explain our plight

I think the point about the finances is fair.  Football clubs are no longer run as businesses, they are part of the entertainment industry.

If clubs were to have their borrowing limited or linked to turnover it might help to prevent the problems faced by teams like Southampton.

"All three clubs [Charlton, Southampton and Norwich] were loaded with financial commitments once they came down [from the Prem]"

I don''t know who wrote it but they''re dead wrong.  It''s true enough that Charlton and Southampton were in the top flight for long enough to make it difficult to adjust to the Champ overnight (but isn''t that what the parachute money is for?)  We weren''t though.  We were loaded with financial commitments before we even went up, thanks to overborrowing by the board to spend on infrastructure.

Those who moan about the gap between the Prem and the Champ are simply strengthening the case for a two-tier Prem with no relegation to the League.  It will probably happen before too long and as things stands I very much doubt whether we will be part of it.  If our relegation from the newly formed Prem in 1995 was terrible timing, this time round it could be even worse.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

"All three clubs [Charlton, Southampton and Norwich] were loaded with financial commitments once they came down [from the Prem]"

I don''t know who wrote it but they''re dead wrong.  It''s true enough that Charlton and Southampton were in the top flight for long enough to make it difficult to adjust to the Champ overnight (but isn''t that what the parachute money is for?)  We weren''t though.  We were loaded with financial commitments before we even went up, thanks to overborrowing by the board to spend on infrastructure.

Those who moan about the gap between the Prem and the Champ are simply strengthening the case for a two-tier Prem with no relegation to the League.  It will probably happen before too long and as things stands I very much doubt whether we will be part of it.  If our relegation from the newly formed Prem in 1995 was terrible timing, this time round it could be even worse.

[/quote]

PS.  One club who probably will be part of it is Ipswich Town. 

If the two Prem league ever happens it seems unlikely we will be part of it at the moment, and i reckon most teams out of those two leagues would then be playing pretty much non-league part time football!

No offence Canary Cherub but I think saying there will soon be a two-tier Premier League is a load of rubbish. For a start the whole notion of it having to tiers is flawed because the clubs in the Championship don''t have neither the talent nor the finacial clout to sustain it EVEN with Sky money. We can see this with clubs in the bottom half of the Prem who seemed to always be there regardless of money (look at Man City or Fulham).

I do agree with your first comment, however I think you''re forgetting that the New Jarrold Stand was paid for by both the sponsor deal for it (people always forget that bit) and the selling of the car park.

[quote user="Panic"]

No offence Canary Cherub but I think saying there will soon be a two-tier Premier League is a load of rubbish. For a start the whole notion of it having to tiers is flawed because the clubs in the Championship don''t have neither the talent nor the finacial clout to sustain it EVEN with Sky money. We can see this with clubs in the bottom half of the Prem who seemed to always be there regardless of money (look at Man City or Fulham).

I do agree with your first comment, however I think you''re forgetting that the New Jarrold Stand was paid for by both the sponsor deal for it (people always forget that bit) and the selling of the car park.

[/quote]

The point is not whether a two tier Prem is a rubbish idea in footballing terms but whether enough clubs think it will serve their interests to vote it through.  Like when the Prem was formed, it will be a financial decision first and foremost not a footballing one, and the economic downturn could be the catalyst.  There''s no use sticking head in sand, the wind is blowing in that direction more strongly than it has before.  The people who run the club simply must do everything in their power to make sure we''re part of it because the alternative doesn''t bear thinking about. 

Regardless of who paid for what, and when, the  reality is that when we went up to the Prem in 2004 the club''s debt had recently trebled almost overnight from a manageable £6m or so to over £18m.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

PS.  One club who probably will be part of it is Ipswich Town. 

[/quote]

Then you won''t have far to go if this new brand Premiership rocks your boat will you Cherub?

I cling fondly to the hope that the Permiership will come to a sticky end. The day we allowed the top division to leave the Football League ws a sad day for most  football fans in this country but I guess a good day for the armchair boys. I used to hope that we would be in a position to take advantage of the day but sadly, barring a last day miracle, it''s a forlorn hope.