Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

Future is still bright? Academy has 7 internationals and are second in the league.

Pos

Team

Pld

W

D

L

GF

GA

GD

Pts

Arsenal U18s (C)

+39

Norwich City U18s

+3

Crystal Palace U18s

+5

Ipswich Town U18s

−2

West Ham United U18s

+14

Portsmouth U18s

−1

Southampton U18s

−8

Chelsea U18s

−6

Fulham U18s

+1

Charlton Athletic U18s

−32

Declan Rudd - England international
Jed Steer - England International
Dario Dumic - Denmark international
David Stephens - Welsh International
Sam Habergham - England International
Josh Dawkin - Welsh International
Danny Kelly - Rep Ireland International

[quote user="ncfclad"]

Pos

Team

Pld

W

D

L

GF

GA

GD

Pts

Arsenal U18s (C)

+39

Norwich City U18s

+3

Crystal Palace U18s

+5

Ipswich Town U18s

−2

West Ham United U18s

+14

Portsmouth U18s

−1

Southampton U18s

−8

Chelsea U18s

−6

Fulham U18s

+1

Charlton Athletic U18s

−32

Declan Rudd - England international
Jed Steer - England International
Dario Dumic - Denmark international
David Stephens - Welsh International
Sam Habergham - England International
Josh Dawkin - Welsh International
Danny Kelly - Rep Ireland International

[/quote]

MAY BE THE CASE BUT i THINK YOUR CLUTCHING TO STRAWS AT THE MOMENT

maybe, but I can say with quite a lot of confidence that those 7 internationals have more potential than the current crop with contracts i.e. Adeyemi and Daley, Smith however, is good.

The only problem is that League One is ugly. If you watch highlights of the vast majority of games in that league most of the players are 6'' 13" at least and the ball spends its time in the air being booted fron one penalty area to the other. League One is not a place to blood youngsters. We would be seen as a big fish in that division and if we try to play decent football teams will suss us out very quickly and will kick lumps out of the kids every week. Yes, there are some exceptions to that but the vast majority of games are very physical and ugly and the teams full of big brutes who kick anything that moves.

Well there are a few players in our youth team over 6ft who I reckon have more bite in them than some of our first team pros.

Our youth team has overperformed this year as we have not had a team in the reserve league.  A lot of those players would have been in the reserves.

They are still good players but there is a massive step up to first team action from U18, even at League 1 level.

I like Sam Habergham, when ever I''ve seen him play he looks like a decent right back. I''m not saying he should start, but considering the standard Semi has set this season, he and Spillane should be at least considerd for that position.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Our youth team has overperformed this year as we have not had a team in the reserve league.  A lot of those players would have been in the reserves.

They are still good players but there is a massive step up to first team action from U18, even at League 1 level.

[/quote]

But it''s still under 18 v under 18 so it''s fair, you''re just trying to be negative for the sake of it.

[quote user="Apoptosis"]I like Sam Habergham, when ever I''ve seen him play he looks like a decent right back. I''m not saying he should start, but considering the standard Semi has set this season, he and Spillane should be at least considerd for that position.[/quote]

Yep he does look like a good player but sorry to correct you that he is actually a left back :)

I wouldnt mind trying a back five of:

Rudd
Spillane, Doc, Shackell, Habergham

The few times we have brought youth into the team they have looked totally out of their depth. Last night was a prime example what did Daley do when he came on a fresh pair of legs did he try to beat anyone for pace did he touch the ball more than half a dozen times. He may be one for the future but certainly not next season in a much more physical division.

Can I just say that Daley is worse than Kris Renton and has nothing else other than pace, we have just released Nick Davey from the academy who is a much better player than Daley ever will be. :(

It is impossible for a club with our catchment area to bring through enough players to have any more than 2 or 3 competing for a first team place at once, you still need money to buy a few players of decent quality to make up a team and sadly until we get taken over that is always going to be our problem. If we are relying to heavily on our own youngsters next year we could be relegated again.

I watched a programme afew months ago that looked at a group of boys that had played for England at U18 level, only one of them was still a footballer the rest never made it and have normal jobs or were at college. When you think that England probably have the best young teams in the home nations this does not bode well. Also last season we had two Ireland internationals playing for the Academy, one does not play football anymore and Mark Otoole is in Grays reserves