Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

I see Gunn as the cheap option but...

Now Gunny''s a top bloke and all that but far from my choice a manager when we needed experience. But.....What was he to do last night. He picked the team that most of us would. He couldn''t shove youngsters in here there an every where. He''d have been on a hiding to nothing.Yes Carney was poor but he was the experienced pro he was the only choice with actual experience of playing in such conditions under such pressure. He has not impressed me in the slightest but to put in a kid with no experience in a game like last night from the start would be one hell of a gamble.Gunn has made a few strange loan signings but all in all he has inherited a team of players that simply are not good enough.Clingan many peoples player of the season! Out muscled out harried and out pace for most of the game. Russell a passenger. His second touch is almost always a header or a 5 yard dash to chase after the ball.Carney was awful. I thoroughly agree. Gow was also a disaster. Wingers with no pace. We never got round the back of them once. Fullback did ok, central midfield look to pass to them far to much as an easy option, they have to play hurried long balls far to often because of it and as attacking overlapping players the just aren''t up to it.Say what you like about Lee effort but he spent the entire night in Dewburry''s top pocket. McDonald showed his pace is a potential threat. He''s young and inexperienced at this level. I would be a hard man to lay to much blame at his feet and also a hard man who would say given the alternatives that Gunn had he shouldn''t have started.Both centrebacks played well. Thought their goals were crappy goals to let in but with out Doc and the outstanding Shacks we''d have been dead and buried by half time.What we saw last night had nothing to do with bad tactics or Gunn decision to play Carney it was to do with players not being as good as their opponents. We create so little with Russell and the wonderful Clingan!. And when they are both also out muscled and out paced they become passengers for lager chucks of the game.Blame Delia and Board, for letting people bring such poor players to our great club, blame them for only allowing the resources to bring such poor quality. Hell blame the players themselves they are over paid for what they can do. But to blame Gunn who by most of "our" admission is under qualified. Nah. Wouldn''t you take the job if offered. I know I would and given the resources I''d have played a very similar team.Gunn is not the answer. We going to need a new hand on the rudder but… he can’t be blamed for our relegation to the 3 tier of English football because that was masterminded long ago when we were taking in Premiership money and hoping the championship player would on the whole do!

Well for starters he could have played the two wingers on their correct wings. He then compounded his error by not swapping them over.

It was clear to everyone that we had absolutely no width and Readings defenders had no problems with Carney or Gow as they were constantly having to check their runs to get the ball onto their favoured foot.

I would have favoured Lappin over Carney, as he would certainly have given Lee more service but that is my opinion.

Playing players on their wrong sides FOR THE WHOLE GAME is not just about opinion, it was atrocious tactics.

Why did Gunn release Bell and Lupoli? Players who could have easily been on the bench last night. It was a really poor decision particularly concerning Bell who was ten times better than Carney and a player we actually owned. The strength and depth of the bench is part of a manager''s job, he''s got to make sure he has the necessary quality on the bench to change a game.

Totally agree Evil. Naive tactics to say the least and not for the first time under Gunn.

As usual he waited and waited and then once conceding tried to change things. Too little too late.

Of course we had/have to get behind Gunny to the end of this season but please no more of him thereafter.

Green and yellow blood running through their veins is no qualification and if I hear that expression from our useless feeble board one more time I''ll skweem and skweem and skweem until I''m sick and I will.

BTW Delia where are you - let''s be ''avin'' you shhhhh!

[quote user="Evil"]Well for starters he could have played the two wingers on their correct wings. He then compounded his error by not swapping them over.

It was clear to everyone that we had absolutely no width and Readings defenders had no problems with Carney or Gow as they were constantly having to check their runs to get the ball onto their favoured foot.

I would have favoured Lappin over Carney, as he would certainly have given Lee more service but that is my opinion.

Playing players on their wrong sides FOR THE WHOLE GAME is not just about opinion, it was atrocious tactics.[/quote]You don''t get it. Gow is no more a winger than I am. Carney either and as for Lappin how short some memories are. Our player are not good enough. Give Lee more service playing them on the other side. Lee was tucked up in the pocket of a 33 year old defender who was made to look like a world cup winner. And they couldn''t beat an egg which ever side they played.I saw Gunny away at Munich and Inter he is hero of mine but I''m not happy that the club appointed him as manager. However I don''t believe that Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho combined could have got our squad our team our club to do very much better and we were never going to appoint a manager of their calibre. Our players are relegation fodder. End of story.

I don''t agree with all of you post Hardhouse but your central theme as I see it is that we were beaten by a far better team - I don''t think you can argue against this. Addiionally imo, I don''t think that we could have picked a team that in anyway matched theirs on ability. The striker situation sums it up best - two of our better strikers (if not best two) come from Reading and can''t get near their team!