Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Newcastle or Exeter next year?

Okay, before I start, I''ll point out that in no possible way can a relegation for a football club be a good thing.

HOWEVER...

We have now reached the point where actually, it really can''t do us any harm. Here''s the two scenarios we could find ourselves in next season

The Championship (The ''we need a miracle'' option):

We will struggle yet again. No ambition will be shown in either appointing a decent manager, or providing any sort of proper funds for players. We will undoubtly over-use the loan system again, and we will be in the same position again, looking up the table, hoping others slip-up. Alternatvely...

League One (The ''unthinkably more thinkable'' option):

The ''better'' players- Clingan, Croft, Marshall (good god what mentalists voted Croft player of the feckin'' year?) all leave for reasonable fees, Crofty apart of course. A much needed clear-out of the dross that covers Colney like a bad stench. Cue a number of youth players given a chance, plus a large number of free transfers and ''bargain-buys'' from the lower leagues. Probability: we push for the play-offs, and appoint someone knows what they''re doing (Colin Calderwood, who will be released after Newcastle''s relegation).

Ultimately, as much as I can''t believe I''m writing this, travelling to St James'' Park (Exeter) could somehow be a blessing for our club. Relegation could, ironically, stop the rot. ''Cos I tell you something, as much as it will hurt, and is hurting, in the long-run, it could be the best thing to happen to us.

Mind you, I''m still praying for the biggest miracle since Jesus walked on water (and I don''t believe in that, either).

I can''t help but fear relegation will not be a quick fix by any stretch. After our top players leave (i.e. Croft, Clingan, Hoolahan, Stefanovich), we retain Doherty (our last star) and all the dross we couldn''t offload who are contracted until 2010 (Cureton, Russell, Ostemobor, Marshall - I''m not convinced anyone will buy him). Around them youngsters and journeymen will be fitted. Until we get shot of those 4 in brackets, I''m not convinced we can really begin to be a serious force in League 1. It could take 3 years to rebuild a team capable of getting out of League 1 without a serious injection of cash.

Whatever divison we''re in i don''t think i''d be to sad to see most of them go. In an ideal world i would want Doc, Cody, Shacks, Lee and Mooney as the starting point for next seasons squad. If its divison 3 as is likely then Shacks and Mooney won''t be back, Lee hopefully will stay whatever league we ''grace.''

Croft, Marshall, Clingan, Holahoop are not going to be here, no great loss. They can take Russell with them to. He''s been crap this season, probably sulking around wishing he was in the prem with Stoke. We need to bring in experiance though, we''ll never get out of league one with a team full of kids.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Unfortunately until something drastic is done I feel we have more chance of being in the old fourth division before the Championship again.[/quote]Hope it hasn''t been said! Either way, we''ll be going to St. James'' park next year!