Sign in to follow this  
Grow Up Mate

Darel Russell

Who else agrees with me that this guy is utter cr@p he has been useless this season and is a liability getting sent off alot, he was decent last season and score quite a few goals but this season he has been terrible in my opinion and is one of the many players not good enough for this football club (along with otsemobor, carney, cureton, fozzy the list goes on) 

He wears his heart on his sleeve, more that could be said for a lot of our players. Yes, he gets his fair share of yellows and reds in a season but he is committed to the cause. I''m not saying that makes him one of our best players because a certain Andy Hughes had the same attributes but should we go down then he would be a handy player at League One level.

[quote user="Mushroom"]He wears his heart on his sleeve, more that could be said for a lot of our players. Yes, he gets his fair share of yellows and reds in a season but he is committed to the cause. I''m not saying that makes him one of our best players because a certain Andy Hughes had the same attributes but should we go down then he would be a handy player at League One level.[/quote]That not enough. This he''d die for the cause $hite is always spouted by our fans. He isn''t good enough. Trying and producing are to different things.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="Mushroom"]He wears his heart on his sleeve, more that could be said for a lot of our players. Yes, he gets his fair share of yellows and reds in a season but he is committed to the cause. I''m not saying that makes him one of our best players because a certain Andy Hughes had the same attributes but should we go down then he would be a handy player at League One level.[/quote]That not enough. This he''d die for the cause $hite is always spouted by our fans. He isn''t good enough. Trying and producing are to different things.
[/quote]

Yep yep yep yep yep. The same can be said about Crofty.

As I''ve said on here before I''ve felt a bit sorry for the guy this season. He''s tried to do a job even when being played out of position and then he''s found himself on the bench with far weaker players playing instead of him.

I know he''s never going to be a great player but at this level he is decent and he works hard which isn''t something to be underestimated (but all too often is). If all our players had worked hard for the cause then we wouldn''t have struggled as badly as we have.

[quote user="TomSlisz"]Who else agrees with me that this guy is utter cr@p he has been useless this season and is a liability getting sent off alot, he was decent last season and score quite a few goals but this season he has been terrible in my opinion and is one of the many players not good enough for this football club (along with otsemobor, carney, cureton, fozzy the list goes on) [/quote]

It''s true he has been a major disappointment, he seems to have lost something major from his game. I know he''s been having asthma problems for years so I don''t know if that''s getting worse with age. I''d still rather have him than any of those on your list and I think he''ll be a handy player to have around next year in Div 3.

Ive never liked him, lots of effort, combative and hustle and bustle but not much else. I actually think Russell has been one of the reasons weve been poor this season as he really offers nothing in terms of attack. With Clingan superb in the holding role that left the attacking midfield role to Russell. Rarely does he score from his midfield position, nor does he create anything. All he does is run about like a headless chicken getting stuck in. We need more from a central midfielder. Clingan and someone else, a Francis for example, and we''d have had a better season.With Clingan defending and dictating we need a midfielder to attack and create and get in the box. Russell does none of this.

Russell is way past his sell by date, but clearly one of our top midfielders in Gunn''s eyes.  He spent most of his time last night walking around without a care in the world, not bothering to pick up any runners or even trying to close players down. 

The trouble is Gunn picks players like Russell and Otsemebor every week, when if we are honest, most supporters can see they are consistently under performning.  If the manager wants to see what I mean then he, or any of his coaching staff, are more than welcome to sit alongside me in the upper barclay.  If there is a genuine medical reason then Russell shouldn''t be played for his own health if nothing else.

Some players may have been guilty of not putting in the effort recently, but the manager is just as much to blame because he picks them.

Rusty is hugely overated, another who gets loads of slack for ''trying.'' In my opinion Pattison is much better in that position and its a failure of man managment that he is out of the picture.

Gunn picks players like Russell and Otsemebor every week because he has no choice. If he hadn''t got in Mooney, Lee, Gow and McDonald he would be picking Cureton every week too. In the main the permanent players we bought since Worthy have been League One standard so its really no surprise that''s where we are destined to go.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Gunn picks players like Russell and Otsemebor every week because he has no choice. If he hadn''t got in Mooney, Lee, Gow and McDonald he would be picking Cureton every week too. In the main the permanent players we bought since Worthy have been League One standard so its really no surprise that''s where we are destined to go.

[/quote]Otsemabor yes, but Rusty i dont agree. If he had handled the situation wiht Pattison better he would be able to play that position as he had shown he is capeable of earlier this season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yeh and some of the players the mesiah worthy brought in were League One standard too...

[/quote]

He is a tryer. And trying isn''t good enough anymore. He''d probs be alright if we do drop down though.

[quote user="A change gonna come..."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Gunn picks players like Russell and Otsemebor every week because he has no choice. If he hadn''t got in Mooney, Lee, Gow and McDonald he would be picking Cureton every week too. In the main the permanent players we bought since Worthy have been League One standard so its really no surprise that''s where we are destined to go.[/quote]

Yeh and some of the players the mesiah worthy brought in were League One standard too...

[/quote]

Some of them, not many of them though and certainly not all of yhem.

If you look at all the weak links in our squad they seem to stem from Grants bad signings. Cureton, Otsemabor etc.

[quote user="king canary"]Rusty is hugely overated, another who gets loads of slack for ''trying.'' In my opinion Pattison is much better in that position and its a failure of man managment that he is out of the picture.
[/quote]Why has Pattison been left out, what has he done that is so terrible that with his obvious enthusiasm he hasn''t been given a chance? Note to ''king canary'', I''m sure it wasn''t Grant that signed Ossie.

[quote user="barclay46"][quote user="king canary"]Rusty is hugely overated, another who gets loads of slack for ''trying.'' In my opinion Pattison is much better in that position and its a failure of man managment that he is out of the picture.[/quote]Why has Pattison been left out, what has he done that is so terrible that with his obvious enthusiasm he hasn''t been given a chance? Note to ''king canary'', I''m sure it wasn''t Grant that signed Ossie.[/quote]The rumours are that after Roeder left he was pissed off, having been quite close to him and developed a bit of an attitude problem. However it seems Gunns answer was to completely freeze him out and offer him on loan to other teams rather than try and get him back on board.As for Otsemabor you are right! My mistake. However the point about Grant still stands, you could point to signing like Russel, Fotheringham, Strihavka etc to see where our problems started.

Our problems started with the signings of  Andy Hughes , Jason Jarrett and Peter Thorne , and its all been downhill ever since.

[quote user="king canary"]If you look at all the weak links in our squad they seem to stem from Grants bad signings. Cureton, Otsemabor etc.
[/quote]

I agree and you don''t have to look for for the reasons for that King. A lot of posters revisit the Worthy Out era now and and recognise what he said about if you want quality players you have to poay the price. And whilst he did try to get more money out of the board for signings he also refused to buy lesser players preferring to find other ways around the problem. It''s worthwhile remembering what he did actually say :-

Hulse, who has moved from Leeds to Sheffield United for £2.1m, was Plan A - Howard, who has left Leeds for Derby for £1m, was Plan B.

“There is not a lot of plan C, D, E, F, G, H from the point of view of the quality that we need to come into this football club and take us forward. I can go and sign five six-foot three strikers tomorrow for £100,000 apiece - they won''t do the job that we want because they are not good enough, simple as that, and if you want to move forward then you need good players within the club.

“We have looked across the board and the two top targets were Hulse number one, and Howard number two.”

“It is not a surprise because when there is not an abundance of those types of strikers about, they command high transfer fees, they command high wages,” he said. “Certainly in the Howard situation, yes, £1m is a lot of money for him, but if that''s what there is about and that''s the going rate at the time, then that''s it.

“There is a budget here and it''s a tight budget and we have got to manage that very carefully to get the most from that and with having a tight budget you have got to be very careful how you spend it, simple as that.”

So in this case the way Worthy got the most out of that budget was to let the window close and bring in Dion Dublin. He just wouldn''t bring in players if he didn''t think they were good enough. I think Croft and Dublin were his only two signings from that summer/autumn. Grant came in and had two crazy transfer windows, and Hucks famously spoke about how poor the players were. Grants signings were the catalyst for where we are now.

Croft just recieved player of the season. I would have given it to Doc. But it doesn''t count for much in what is probably a relegation season. But those two players are, along with Adam Drury, what''s left of the Worthy side. Croft and Doherty weren''t the best players he left us by a long way but they are the best we have now. And that is why we are where we are.

We have had two managers in a row who have felt the need to have a clear out without the funds needed for it. While it would be nce for a board with more money to support this, I would have rather seen the money Grant spent on 2 or 3 real quality players rather than 6 or 7 poor ones.