Sign in to follow this  
bananaman

Svensson

He did really well - good determination, good control, good passing, let down by Leon beside him who has the touch of a non-league footballer.And Hucks didn''t do great either.

Svensson looked strong tonight, didn''t get great service as half our crosses were low or at the keeper.

McKenzie not on form at all, should have scored early on then offside about 8 times.  I would have subbed him much sooner.

I thought Hux didn''t get the ball as much as usual and when he did he always had 2 on him, so couldn''t create as much as usual, but didn''t look as positive as usual either.

All in all though with some lady luck at last I thought we got a good point.

I agree second half Svensson lifted the team and put himself about - much like when he came on against Everton. Seems Huckerby was totally played out of the game - have not seen him so quiet in a Norwich shirt. Think there will need to be a fe changes again for Saturday.

Green

Ed, Charlton, Flem, Drury/Brennan

Mcveigh Mulryan Francis Huckerby

McKensie   Svensson

Personally I thought all of our forwards were pretty poor tonight McKenzie,Svennson, Huckerby all done very little. Thank goodness for Francis.

Man City showed how the ball should be passed and cut through our defence at ease. I am certain our players could pass the ball to the same level if only they had the right coaching staff.

Hucks was very closely marked tonight but still created four simple chances which were all wasted by Leon/Francis, hardly his fault!

Personally I would start Saturday with tonight''s team except for starting Henderson for Jonson and Bentley for Leon, and although I''ve never been a Mulryne fan I would tell Francis that he''d be swapped for him at half time unless he got his act together in the first half.

I thought Sven was almost playing alone up front at times. We all seem to agree that Hux didn''t do very well and Leon ran about a lot but contributed little except by getting offside and halting lots of our attacks.

All I would do for Saturday is swap Jonson for Bentley. I was really hoping Jonson would do well but I was very disappointed, it just doesn''t seem to be working yet for him.

Interesting comment about Francis- Mulryne would not be an alternative to me as he is not a tackler, Safri would be the obvious candidate. Maybe we need Safri first half and Francis second half?

Dont you mean unless all the team got their act together in the first half .  Why single out Francis when every game this season the whole team has not got its act together until the second half.

I actually think that the match was the most subdued I''ve seen City (on TV) this season. Never really looked like we got going. Didn''t think anyone had a ''Helveg-esque'' shocker but then there wasn''t really any City player that stood out. A point seems the fairest result, but nicking all three would have been nice.

The Fleming incident (which should really have been a penalty) is perhaps payback for the penalty decision that was missed when we played Everton last week, so now I guess we''re even on that score. Didn''t think Jonson played too badly, and to be fair he was on the end of a few hefty challenges, many of his own making from a less than decent first touch, but then he never really gave away bad possession and did make a few important challenges himself. With Brennan in for Drury perhaps he had been told to provide more defensive cover than offensive movement, which may explain his lack of pushing forward.

Henderson seems to provide a glimpse of impetus going forward when he came on and seemed eager for the ball which is promising. I still think Hendo is a good player and one with plenty of promise for the future. Eddie, Flemo and Charlton looked steady as always despite a few minor scary moments and barring his one mistake, Greeno had a fairly good game too.

As for the midfield, I don''t think Francis and Holt played too badly, albeit neither at their best either. Super McK clearly had an off day whereby everything he tried failed to come off, which was a shame as he appears to be a confidence-striker. Svennson had a solid game unfortunately bereft of final product, but looks like he''s working himself into some decent kind of form. As for Hux, I think thats the game whereby he''s most likely to be shackled and marked out of a game because Keegan wouldn''t have wanted Hux to come back to Manchester and have a good game.

All in all, a reasonably good point, but in my opinion, if we''d played like we have been the last few games, a win was there for the taking as Man City looked like a very average Premiership football side.

Next game: Drury back, Bently in for Jonson, Hendo on the bench with Brennan and McK and Svennson up front.    

Svenssons aggression for a spell in the second half threatened to win us the game, Mckenzie was offside all night... even in his own half!!!!  

Just a small point: one of Leon''s offsides was a shocking decision as he was in his own half when the lino flagged!  Disgraceful for supposed top class officials...but, yes, he drifted off far too often...again!

Yet another match that tells it''s own story - the win was there for the taking if we had quality up front

Of our present squad I think that Matty and Leon are probably the best two "strikers".  However, Matty doesn''t really look like scoring, does he? Leon has commitment, he also gets into goal scoring opportunities but he is very niave at this level. Once again he tripped over his own feet last night when scoring would have been easier Hopefully the coaching staff will teach him about offside - to be caught 8 or 9 times in a single match is a bit much. 

Nevertheless these are the two we need to stick with right now - and I truly hope that they do come through  

DDiM - Svensson played with his back to goal the whole night, won headers, chased back, played through balls, kept the attack in motion, involved himself with the midfield in the build-up too.

It''s not just about shots etc - and he will be there if someone could just put a good ball in the box.

And for all those who were glad to see "the People''s left-back", how come he had four clear and un-pressured opportunities to put a good cross in and fluffed all of them?

I agree with DDIM, what exactly did Svensson do? I thought he didn''t look any worse than anyone else - but he certainly didn''t look good, what are you basing this on?

Positives for me were Jim Brennan looking good at left-back and Damien Francis looking superb in midfield. Eddy also looked solid.

[quote]DDiM - Svensson played with his back to goal the whole night, won headers, chased back, played through balls, kept the attack in motion, involved himself with the midfield in the build-up too. It''s n...[/quote]

Unlike many of you, I have never ''slagged off'' Swenny, never will I guess. I just love the guy.

And to use that over worked phrase, so loved by Yanky Panky (a phrase which I loathe by the way) I''m glad I never lost faith in him.

He''s getting back to his old self IMO.