Sign in to follow this  
Sports Desk - Matt

Should Bryan Gunn be given the manager's job full-time? Discuss

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Matt"] Should Bryan Gunn be given the manager''s job full-time? Discuss.[/quote]

There should be no decision until (a) we see if Smith and her dream team leave for Suffolk....or (b) whether we actually go down. The latter is still not a certainty until we see what Barnsley do.

In my view it''s not a question to be asked at this stage.

[/quote]

Cluck, you must be losing your edge or I am. I agree entirely. 

[quote user="BigFish"]

Stability for its own sake is not reason in itself but neither is so called experience. The club currently stands at its lowest point since the Chase days and clearly needs root and branch reform. At the same time the team needs managing and some form of continuity is now clearly required. The board have proven themselves singularly unable to either select managerial talent or give them the tools for the job and are there any reasons to suggest that this time would be different.

Of all the names above none would come with a copper bottomed guarantee that they could surpass team Gunn. None of Gannon, Tilson or Grayson have records that cry out for inclusion on any short list - unless bobbing teams around the lower leagues is the criteria. Mowbray, Jones, Johnson and Davies all had money to spend on which they built their repertations. Laws? Kept Wednesday in the division which would take now but really what does experience mean. Keane spent £60m on a very average Sunderland team so what kind of mediocrity will he bring to Town on much less.

[/quote]

Grayson and Tilson have both taken teams out of the league we''ll probably be playing in. Grayson especially is a highly promising young manager - and neither Blackpool nor Southend had achieved much in recent years before their arrivals. Johnson took Yeovil up two divisions, then almost repeated the feat with Bristol City, who were on their knees and staring head on at the Fourth Division before he took over. Jones built his reputation at well known financial powerhouse, Stockport County (who he took up to the second flight, and took to the League Cup semi-finals); Mowbray had about £5.41 and a half eaten packet of crisps to spend while at Hibs, with whom he worked wonders. As for Keane: he spent bucketloads because he inherited a team that was bottom of the Championship! Then he improved them by 29 league positions in less than two seasons.

Would any come with a copper bottomed guarantee? No. Which brings me back to the point that clearly, if experience doesn''t mean anything, all football clubs should just put managerial applicants'' names in a hat and pick one out for the hell of it. But they don''t. Properly run clubs make wise managerial choices based on what candidates have already done - and those with a track record are far more likely to succeed than a complete novice.

... given the manager''s job fULL-TIME? Hey hang on there a bit friend - it is terribly presumptuous  of you  to just asssume that we can afford a full time manager next season and anyhow the buzz on the grapevine has it that next seasons manager will be appointed on a  part time basis only, two days a week with voluntary Saturday work.Savings have to be made I guess and it''s good to know admin are getting their act together at last.My own view:I believe Brian will be far better employed in goal where he has a little more experience.He would be less of a liability there and will most certainly offer a far bigger presence than ever he could in his current role.P.SI may sue if you quote me on this however if the lawsuit  is successful, I promise to buy a  proper footy team for the Canaries.

[quote user="thebigfeller"][quote user="BigFish"]

Stability for its own sake is not reason in itself but neither is so called experience. The club currently stands at its lowest point since the Chase days and clearly needs root and branch reform. At the same time the team needs managing and some form of continuity is now clearly required. The board have proven themselves singularly unable to either select managerial talent or give them the tools for the job and are there any reasons to suggest that this time would be different.

Of all the names above none would come with a copper bottomed guarantee that they could surpass team Gunn. None of Gannon, Tilson or Grayson have records that cry out for inclusion on any short list - unless bobbing teams around the lower leagues is the criteria. Mowbray, Jones, Johnson and Davies all had money to spend on which they built their repertations. Laws? Kept Wednesday in the division which would take now but really what does experience mean. Keane spent £60m on a very average Sunderland team so what kind of mediocrity will he bring to Town on much less.

[/quote]

Grayson and Tilson have both taken teams out of the league we''ll probably be playing in. Grayson especially is a highly promising young manager - and neither Blackpool nor Southend had achieved much in recent years before their arrivals. Johnson took Yeovil up two divisions, then almost repeated the feat with Bristol City, who were on their knees and staring head on at the Fourth Division before he took over. Jones built his reputation at well known financial powerhouse, Stockport County (who he took up to the second flight, and took to the League Cup semi-finals); Mowbray had about £5.41 and a half eaten packet of crisps to spend while at Hibs, with whom he worked wonders. As for Keane: he spent bucketloads because he inherited a team that was bottom of the Championship! Then he improved them by 29 league positions in less than two seasons.

Would any come with a copper bottomed guarantee? No. Which brings me back to the point that clearly, if experience doesn''t mean anything, all football clubs should just put managerial applicants'' names in a hat and pick one out for the hell of it. But they don''t. Properly run clubs make wise managerial choices based on what candidates have already done - and those with a track record are far more likely to succeed than a complete novice.

[/quote]

Johnson did bugger all with Latvia though[:D][;)]

[quote user="The Butler"]

A good goalkeeper, decent corporate manager, not sure about head scout.

Compere at Gunn club, local celebrity and ex sheriff of Norwich.

That''s his CV where oh where does it show any qualifications for managing an ambitous championship/Div 1 club?

Nice fella shame about the CV, the last line of which will read, last job got my team relegated.

No let him go back to what he does best being a city legend!!

[/quote]

hear hear

I''m afraid not, he wasn''t the right man 3 months ago and he isn''t the right man now. We are in a worse position now than when he was appointed, he has been shown to be tactically naive, bereft of the abilty to make tactical changes during matches and leaves substitutions far too long. He was appointed on the back of a freak result against Barnsley and the Board once again bottled a big decision and took the easy and cheap option, the cheap option won''t look so good when we are getting League 1 TV money.

No matter which division we are in next season he is not the right man, we need an experienced manager who knows the club so my vote would be for Aidy Bothroyd - hopefully he would be able to work with Butterworth and Crook who will have a valuable 6 months experience working with the players meaning there wouldn''t be a long ''getting to know you'' period and we can get off to a decent start next season.  

[quote user="Sports Desk - Michael"]

Of course, it''s not just Bryan Gunn.

Ian Crook, John Deehan, Ian Butterworth - do you just cut all your losses and start again?

Most thought it was a risky appointment. But was it a bad one?

[/quote]

It''s a cheap appointment by the board obviously hoping that by having some old boy legends they will be supported by the fans and not get lots of flak even though things are far from rosy.

The club may strike it lucky by appointing Gunn who knows, but can we afford to wait and see. Realistically is doen''t matter who we get in they will struggle.

Why? - simple, no money.

Its as simple as this Matt, Bryan Gunn is a hero, he''s just not a manager. The man had the guts to step up and try and help us out of a hopless situation and I think he will eventually have the sense to realise he dosn''t have the skills required to take us forward next year.

no matter what happens this season, I for one certainly thank him for trying to rescue the club we all love.

Further to the comment by someone earlier in this thread if we go down we need a young, up and coming manager who knows the division. If we have to go in house I guess Butterworth would be the best option but I would prefer us to go for someone like Steve Tilson or Mark Robins. They know league 1 and what it takes to do well at that level and I am sure both would relish a chance to rebuild Norwich City!

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[quote user="Sports Desk - Matt"] Should Bryan Gunn be given the manager''s job full-time? Discuss.[/quote]

There should be no decision until (a) we see if Smith and her dream team leave for Suffolk....or (b) whether we actually go down. The latter is still not a certainty until we see what Barnsley do.

In my view it''s not a question to be asked at this stage.

[/quote]

Cluck, you must be losing your edge or I am. I agree entirely. 

[/quote]

I''m actually quite nice in real life........ [:)]

He''s a good guy, and he''s matured in football learning from some of the best, namely Sir Alex Ferguson. I think he would be a good candidate - face it, he hasn''t done a terrible job. I''m in two minds though, but my head says he should be the man and walk away at the end of the season, whether we stay up or not.

Would Delia ever appoint Bryan as her Senior Catering Manager or the Head Chef in her Restyrunts.....It just wouldn''t happen.

We all have our reason''s and opinion''s concerning Gunny''s appointment - but their favoured word ''prudence'' and the ''unwilling to bite the hand that feeds''.....may have been a statutory requirement for Roeder''s replacement.....I think lack of finance to fund a new (outside) manager - coupled with a severance pay-off to the outgoing failure - was a major factor in the board''s ''In House, and won''t rock the Capsizing Carra Coracle'' stringent selection of a replacement. 

Stay and play safe, appoint a ''Canary Legend'' who''s popular and admired by all....sorted. I certainly don''t blame Melissa Gunn.

Bryan Gunn is a great guy....But unfortunately, a football manager, he is not.

No, great bloke but a football manager he is most certainly not. But if this board are responsible for the decision you just know they''ll appoint him because it''s the cheap and easy option even though most of us seem think it''s the wrong one.

Yes and no. He''s inherited Roeder''s awful squad so does really deserve a chance with his own. He has made some very good decisions that ive been impressed with, Cody, Gow, Mooney, Shackell and Lee, good decisions so id like to see what he could from day one.On the other hand he took us down so how can you really go with him for next season? Maybe a new manager coming in is needed. All irrelevant anyway because the board wont appoint anyone, theyll go with the cheap option and stick with Gunn.

When Gunny was appointed, I like many was sceptical but supportive. It was a bold move designed, in my view, to appease fans. As discourteous, unfriendly and arrogant as Roeder was, Gunny was equally accomodating, approachable and down to earth.In his favour, he''s clearly popular with the players and has allowed them greater freedom to play and has done some decent transfer deals. Shackell was widely slated when he returned but has proven to be a revelation. Mooney as well has shown the traits of becoming a leading Championship striker. Hoolahan looked to be the biggest disappointment of the season, but got better and better under Gunny''s stewardship until his untimely injury. Bertrand improved greatly, but still doesn''t look like a shadow of his former self of last season. Lee, despite not being fit and being very poorly serviced, has given us much needed muscle and effort up front. However, his criticisms from me are fairly major. For me his team selections are questionable. His insistence on continuing with Carney with Lappin sat on the bench is bizarre. Gow - effective up front when pit against cumbersome central defenders, ineffective on the wing when against more nimble full backs. Otsemobor is constantly disappointing and the source of many a conceeded goal. Why not give Leijer a go there? Gunny''s impact on a game when it''s in play is very disputable, often leaving substitutions far, far too late to make any effect. And those substitutions are often wrong. Why. why, why did he bring on Luke Daley - a striker - for a winger when we had a winger in Lappin on the bench? Gunny also stands there on the sidelines, arms folded, giving me the distinct impression he''s out of his depth. If he gives that impression to me, how much his players feel? He''s tactically naive - explaining his reluctance to go 4-3-3 when chasing the game with Jamie Cureton sat on the bench as "Cody and Lee were doing well". That''s completely missing the point - you sacrifice a midfielder for an extra attacking influence to hopefully get a goal back and push for a late revival. His alienation of certain players is questionable. What exactly has Matty Patty done? You can complain about Fozzy, but at times, he could be that inventive spark we''ve lacked recently. Gunny failed to address these issues and keep two senior players on side, if for nothing else than to add options to the squad. I''d rather have Gunny than Roeder. Let me make that plain. But we need a strong leader in these difficult times - not someone learning their trade and making the mistakes I''ve outlined above on a regular basis. I think Gunny''s contract should not be renewed, and the services of a manager experienced in league one appointed.

Why is it that when I was sat in front of the telly watching Thomas The Tank Engine with my young one today, I noticed all of the engines looked just like Bryan Gunn?.... especially James.

Uncanny....

Why is it that when I was sat in front of the telly watching Thomas The Tank Engine with my young one today, I noticed all of the engines looked just like Bryan Gunn?.... especially James.

Uncanny....

[/quote]

And he''s a dead ringer for the fat controller too!

Uncanny....

[/quote]

Haha!

[img]http://sodoruk.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/james.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Wolverhampton+Wanderers+v+Norwich+City+F6roB0__bIdl.jpg[/img}

jas :)

well stats say his record has been better than roeders ,

and he was left with a mess that roeder left .

with no money to invest i cant see that it would matter who we take on , yet taking on the challenge he has , i would give him a season with the squad he picks ,

this mess certainly is not gunnys fault , i think he bite off more than he could chew in trying to keep us up .

Looking back some of our best gaffers have been safe and disappointing appointments. Stringer created the finest team we have ever had but probably only got the job because he was knocking about the club and had played 400+ times (sounds familiar). What numpty would have given Walker the job and look what happened. The only major honour the club has won was under a guy who had never managed anywhere.At the same time look at mangers with records like Allardyce, Ince, Pardew, Curbishley and further back Clough and look at the hash they made of it when operating outside their comfort zone.