Sign in to follow this  
Andy Larkin

The Cullum won't invest post?

[quote user="kdncfc"]What did it actually say? Was it some of the old quotes rehashed or something new?[/quote]

It was a reply to a personal e-mail to Peter Cullum from James Kent (hence the deletion). Mr Cullum said that due to the economy he couldn''t afford to invest in an ailing football club and that he had watched Monday''s game and been disappointed by the performance.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="kdncfc"]What did it actually say? Was it some of the old quotes rehashed or something new?[/quote]

It was a reply to a personal e-mail to Peter Cullum from James Kent (hence the deletion). Mr Cullum said that due to the economy he couldn''t afford to invest in an ailing football club and that he had watched Monday''s game and been disappointed by the performance.

[/quote]

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for telling me, so basically Mr Cullum earned 100 million last year on top of his already substantial wealth and he can''t afford to help out his supposed favourite football club in their hour of need. I really can''t believe these people who have got more money than they need and yet seem so reluctant to spend it. If I had the money he has got and had just earned another 100 million pounds I would do whatever it took to buy the club.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for telling me, so basically Mr Cullum earned 100 million last year on top of his already substantial wealth and he can''t afford to help out his supposed favourite football club in their hour of need. I really can''t believe these people who have got more money than they need and yet seem so reluctant to spend it. If I had the money he has got and had just earned another 100 million pounds I would do whatever it took to buy the club.

[/quote]Which is why he''s a millionaire and we''re not.  Take your point though.  [:(]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which is why he''s a millionaire and we''re not.  Take your point though.  [:(]
[/quote]

He''s a billionaire which makes it even worse.

With all due respect, do you expect the guy in an email to an unknown person to say "Im just waiting for the collpase of the club before I jump in and get it cheap then start reuilding it".  Of course he is not!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is a curious thing: last year, Mr C was 40th in the Sunday Times Rich List with an estimated worth of £1.7 billion.

This year he does not appear on the list at all.  Either it is an oversight by the list compiler or they know something we don''t.

Has he been badly hit? Yes - but still not exactly "on his uppers" as they used to say.  I certainly don''t think he is currently worth anywhere near £1.7b at the moment.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Here is a curious thing: last year, Mr C was 40th in the Sunday Times Rich List with an estimated worth of £1.7 billion.

This year he does not appear on the list at all.  Either it is an oversight by the list compiler or they know something we don''t.

Has he been badly hit? Yes - but still not exactly "on his uppers" as they used to say.  I certainly don''t think he is currently worth anywhere near £1.7b at the moment.

[/quote]all explained here Cam, amazed you missed it though......

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4678

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I blame swine flu myself!  Thanks for that. 

[/quote]

[/quote]Er, no. Not quite. Not the Cullum earning £100m bit. There was a misleading (for "misleading" read plain wrong) EDP headline that said Towergate, Cullum''s company, had made a profit of more than £100m. The headline was later changed.What happened was that Cullum had just given preliminary results for Towergate for 2008, saying its earnings before various significant items were taken away would be a bit over £100m.That certainly does not mean a profit for Towergate of more than £100m (Cullum didn''t forecast what any profit might be) and it equally certainly does not mean an extra £100m in his back pocket for Cullum himself.I have my own thoughts on Cullum and Cullumgate, but in this particular case he does not deserve to be criticised for failing to spend an extra £100m he doesn''t actually have.

Probably deleted... Free advertising and libel also involved in that threads first post I would of thought???

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Mr Cullum said nothing of the sort Beau... Jim Kent claimed that he did.

No evidence at all (not even the initial e-mail link).

Hilarious!I''m so chuffed that Messrs Waghorn et al have discovered how to use links (although there''s not a kitten nor a Skids vid in sight).Bits of it are actually true though...

I''ve always maintained that I''d rather see any new owners money going into the team on the pitch rather than the cook''s handbag.

I reckon Peter Cullum is laughing his pants off at Smith''s downfall right now. He will come in when it suits him...and when he''s got that bargain he''s been hanging out for.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

He starts by saying in effect that the ST Rich List is a piece of froth that isn''t worth the paper it''s printed on.  This year Cullum''s name doesn''t appear because he can''t accurately estimate what he (and his business) are worth, because the economy is in such a state of flux.  He''s not the only one and the same thing happens every year apparently, some names simply don''t appear.

But the really interesting bit is Waggers'' change of tack on Peter Cullum:

"The point however is not to deny . . . that he [PC] might have made a better owner had he arrived at the helm at the time of his first reported £20m "offer" in the autumn of 2007. . . He is undoubtedly a ''proper millionaire'' right up there with Marcus Evans."

If that''s not the sound of a rat leaving a sinking ship I don''t know what is . . .

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Mr Cullum said nothing of the sort Beau... Jim Kent claimed that he did.

No evidence at all (not even the initial e-mail link).

[/quote]

My apologies Smudge, I was just quoting what was posted. I take it from your comment that you believe that the e-mail was a complete fabrication on the part of the OP?

Believe me guys, I wouldn''t waste your time making up emails.

What I posted is 100% true. Of course you can believe what you want. But I have no interest in lying.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Believe me guys, I wouldn''t waste your time making up emails. What I posted is 100% true. Of course you can believe what you want. But I have no interest in lying.[/quote]

For the record, I don''t think you were lying, Jim, I was just checking whether Smudger was accusing you of lying or me of misquoting!

Just to be accurate (and perhaps Jim Kent can confirm) he did not say he couldn''t afford to invest he said something along the lines of not a good time to be investing in an ailing football club! You could interpret those words as tongue in cheek if you were so inclined!

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

I''ve always maintained that I''d rather see any new owners money going into the team on the pitch rather than the cook''s handbag.

I reckon Peter Cullum is laughing his pants off at Smith''s downfall right now. He will come in when it suits him...and when he''s got that bargain he''s been hanging out for.

[/quote]

I haven''t the foggiest if Cullum will come in again. Maybe he will; maybe he''s gone forever. I absolutely think, though, that any prospective buyer of any football club will, especially given the current economic climate, only make a serious bid when it suits them, and not the seller. If you were a serious businessman interested in buying either Newcastle or Norwich, say, would you let your heart rule your head; or wait to see if either was relegated, thus driving the asking price down? The latter, without question.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Just to be accurate (and perhaps Jim Kent can confirm) he did not say he couldn''t afford to invest he said something along the lines of not a good time to be investing in an ailing football club! You could interpret those words as tongue in cheek if you were so inclined![/quote]

Yes, I think you''re correct.

I don''t want to post more direct quotes, because the thread may be deleted.

But I can confirm he did say the current economic climate prevent him from investing in a falling/League one team.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

He starts by saying in effect that the ST Rich List is a piece of froth that isn''t worth the paper it''s printed on.  This year Cullum''s name doesn''t appear because he can''t accurately estimate what he (and his business) are worth, because the economy is in such a state of flux.  He''s not the only one and the same thing happens every year apparently, some names simply don''t appear.

But the really interesting bit is Waggers'' change of tack on Peter Cullum:

"The point however is not to deny . . . that he [PC] might have made a better owner had he arrived at the helm at the time of his first reported £20m "offer" in the autumn of 2007. . . He is undoubtedly a ''proper millionaire'' right up there with Marcus Evans."

If that''s not the sound of a rat leaving a sinking ship I don''t know what is . . .

[/quote]

Spot on.

Just to clear this all up.

I didn''t expect Cullum to tell me:

he was going buy the club next week.

But I thought he might give me a tongue in cheek remark like watch this space all who knows.

I have exchanged emails with Mr Cullum before and I think there is an outside possibility of a takeover if we are relegated.

Delia doesn''t want to sell, but might be forced to if we are relegated.

[/quote]

The so called "Rich List" is complete garbage anyway! I personally know at least a dozen people who should be in it and I would imagine every single wealth advisor or decent IFA will know at least a dozen each. The really rich and powerful keep their heads well below any radar and miles away from prying journo''s. It''s only the ones who want the attention that you ever hear about, or those involved in "public" areas who can''t keep out of the limelight.

Cullum isn''t in it because Towergate were re-negotiating their banking covenants and the compilers couldn''t accurately assess his wealth. They couldn''t anyway because he owns a lot more stuff than they know about, but thats the reason they give.