Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

are we really dead in the water???

we all know how city bailed out against a ''willing to roll over'' fulham - while the baggies won and leapfrogged poor ole city to stay up...could we do the same to barnsley???rationally, plymouth have f all to play for - but nevertheless - they are playing in front of their fans and will want to put on a decent display for their lap of honour...and also barnsley played an extra game last midweek and had a high tempo draw against wolves...they will surely be less fresh rather the pasty crunchers - and to boot will all their nervous energy undo them???plymouth isn''t the easiest place to go of late???that just leaves city to do the biz against a charlton side - who have been playing better of late themselves...make no mistake - we will need to earn the right to win and stay up...no bottlers please!!!so if the plonker legends can start with our best line-up IN THEIR CORRECT POSITIONS - i reckon we have a decent chance of winning - and if plymouth come good - we could stay up yet...but please - gunny and co - play gow on the right and carney on the left - - - remember - - - gow scored 5 goals for blackpool on the RIGHT wing - and so where have we played him???anywhere fudging but!!!putting gow on the left and carney on the right - against their natural best foot - didn''t work against sheff wed - and it didn''t look good on monday night...so go on gunny - make mine a large one - and keep it simple ffs...and no - you can''t stay on as manager next season...[:''(]

Yes but its not as simple as us and the baggies.  Barnsley only need to sit everyone behond the ball and let Plymouth play out a draw and we are sunk.[quote user="lucky green trainers"]we all know how city bailed out against a ''willing to roll over'' fulham - while the baggies won and leapfrogged poor ole city to stay up...could we do the same to barnsley???rationally, plymouth have f all to play for - but nevertheless - they are playing in front of their fans and will want to put on a decent display for their lap of honour...and also barnsley played an extra game last midweek and had a high tempo draw against wolves...they will surely be less fresh rather the pasty crunchers - and to boot will all their nervous energy undo them???plymouth isn''t the easiest place to go of late???that just leaves city to do the biz against a charlton side - who have been playing better of late themselves...make no mistake - we will need to earn the right to win and stay up...no bottlers please!!!so if the plonker legends can start with our best line-up IN THEIR CORRECT POSITIONS - i reckon we have a decent chance of winning - and if plymouth come good - we could stay up yet...but please - gunny and co - play gow on the right and carney on the left - - - remember - - - gow scored 5 goals for blackpool on the RIGHT wing - and so where have we played him???anywhere fudging but!!!putting gow on the left and carney on the right - against their natural best foot - didn''t work against sheff wed - and it didn''t look good on monday night...so go on gunny - make mine a large one - and keep it simple ffs...and no - you can''t stay on as manager next season...[:''(]

[/quote]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Thats all we had to do against Fulham.[/quote]correct - and we were camped in fulhams half - with half hearted challenges,,,but the ref didn''t play along - big fat pastry faced looking wayne kerr -  cos when hucks heels were clipped in the box he waved it away...then fulham scored with their first attack,,,ho hum - thats what we got for leaving svenny on the bench - we only had a chance at all cos of his (and deano''s) goals towards the end of that season...back to the present - so yeah - we have a chance based on that - but agreed --- its a dogs life - thats all...but footy''s a funny ole game[^o)]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]We did have to beat them or we would have gone down on goal difference.
[/quote]

Amazing how quickly history gets rewritten isn''t it?

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]We did have to beat them or we would have gone down on goal difference.[/quote]

[/quote]who''s memory has failed then cherub???i thought we needed a draw - but tbh i can''t remember for sure...

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]We did have to beat them or we would have gone down on goal difference.
[/quote]

[/quote]

who''s memory has failed then cherub???i thought we needed a draw - but tbh i can''t remember for sure...
[/quote]

We finished on 33 points, WBA on 34

Before the last game their GD was -27 ours was -29

So a draw would have seen us level on points but with a worse GD

We went into the Fulham game above the relegation zone, meaning that we simply had to get as good a result as the teams below us. So if we had won we would have stayed up no matter what, but a draw would have been good enough if no-one else had won, and a defeat would have sufficed if everyone else had lost.