Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Interesting Insider news regarding Saints

A mate of mine works for the FA as a ref and he mentioned today that due to the bankrupcy at Saints they will be droped 2 tiers. Ie They will be in the conferance next season rather than league One. If this has any impact on us im unsure, just thought id share this little tid bit.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]A mate of mine works for the FA as a ref and he mentioned today that due to the bankrupcy at Saints they will be droped 2 tiers. Ie They will be in the conferance next season rather than league One. If this has any impact on us im unsure, just thought id share this little tid bit.
[/quote]

Why would they do that?

This is only a rumour, of course - and no-one knows what''ll happen there. But this isn''t your standard football club in administration story at all: they are in desperate trouble, and could easily fold altogether. Whoever finishes 21st in League 1 may face an anxious summer in which they could yet be saved from the drop; because even if Southampton find a buyer, whether what follows satisfies the Football League is another matter. Two seasons ago, the way in which Ken Bates put Leeds into administration before buying them back for almost nothing was so corrupt and unsatisfactory that Leeds, effectively reformed, almost lost their "golden share", by which I mean membership of the League. The points deduction they started 2007/8 with was to avoid a precedent of other clubs being able to do as they had with no recourse - but most observers hadn''t grasped how close they came to being thrown out of the League altogether.

A similar situation could well unfold with Saints; and if they were chucked out, the Conference - whose financial rules are absurdly stringent - might not take them either, leaving a reformed club having to start out in the Southern League! That''s the worst case scenario; but I wouldn''t rule out what the OP has said at all to be honest.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

This is only a rumour, of course - and no-one knows what''ll happen there. But this isn''t your standard football club in administration story at all: they are in desperate trouble, and could easily fold altogether. Whoever finishes 21st in League 1 may face an anxious summer in which they could yet be saved from the drop; because even if Southampton find a buyer, whether what follows satisfies the Football League is another matter. Two seasons ago, the way in which Ken Bates put Leeds into administration before buying them back for almost nothing was so corrupt and unsatisfactory that Leeds, effectively reformed, almost lost their "golden share", by which I mean membership of the League. The points deduction they started 2007/8 with was to avoid a precedent of other clubs being able to do as they had with no recourse - but most observers hadn''t grasped how close they came to being thrown out of the League altogether.

A similar situation could well unfold with Saints; and if they were chucked out, the Conference - whose financial rules are absurdly stringent - might not take them either, leaving a reformed club having to start out in the Southern League! That''s the worst case scenario; but I wouldn''t rule out what the OP has said at all to be honest.

[/quote]Agreed.  I saw in The Non-League Paper the other day though that contingency plans had already been discussed with the Conference in case the worst happened.  So it looks like this is where So''ton would end up if they went bankrupt.  It wouldn''t have any impact on us though.

Wat about all the talk of having points taken back off of other teams and results anulled surely if they folded this was meant to happen?

[quote user="SpanishCanary"]Wat about all the talk of having points taken back off of other teams and results anulled surely if they folded this was meant to happen?[/quote]Only if they fold before Sunday, which is very very very unlikely.  Otherwise they will have completed their league program, and all the results will stand.

[quote user="timncfc"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]A mate of mine works for the FA as a ref and he mentioned today that due to the bankrupcy at Saints they will be droped 2 tiers. Ie They will be in the conferance next season rather than league One. If this has any impact on us im unsure, just thought id share this little tid bit.
[/quote]

Why would they do that?

[/quote]

Because if a club is wound up and reformed the highest place in the pyramid that it can go is two leagues below where it would have been.

I heard someone from the local paper in Southampton on Talksport going on about this

If they go completely bust they are looking at trying to negotiate with the Blue Square, but it seems to be very unlikely to happen

Also the view was the conference would say no - why should they accept an extra team?

If they folded they''d go the way of Aldershot etc and have to start from the bottom of the pyramid

[/quote]

Don''t you mean League 2 rather than Conference ?

[quote user="Al Guido"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]A mate of mine works for the FA as a ref and he mentioned today that due to the bankrupcy at Saints they will be droped 2 tiers. Ie They will be in the conferance next season rather than league One. If this has any impact on us im unsure, just thought id share this little tid bit.[/quote]

Don''t you mean League 2 rather than Conference ?

[/quote]No because they are already confirmed to be relegated to League One, hence they would have to move down 2 tiers from this position.