Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

April 30th 1994 - 15 Years ago today.

This date jog any memories?  Well for those who are stumped this was the last day that the Kop at Liverpool was standing, the opponents on a gloriously sunny day were Norwich City, i remember the boiling hot sun, Liverpool legends being paraded prior to kick off and a great atmosphere.

We spoiled the party that day, Jerry Goss scored a trademark volley at the kop end and we won 1-0, we played some glorious football that day, Efan Ekoku and Chris Sutton tore Liverpools defence apart time after time, i remember bursting with pride that day, just thought id share it with you for those who were there who might have forgot, and for those who are too young to remember, we truly were a great side once.      OTBC

I was there to, last kop game.....jerry goss stunner, shut them scouser up! i remember going mental!! good times!

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]

This date jog any memories?  Well for those who are stumped this was the last day that the Kop at Liverpool was standing, the opponents on a gloriously sunny day were Norwich City, i remember the boiling hot sun, Liverpool legends being paraded prior to kick off and a great atmosphere.

We spoiled the party that day, Jerry Goss scored a trademark volley at the kop end and we won 1-0, we played some glorious football that day, Efan Ekoku and Chris Sutton tore Liverpools defence apart time after time, i remember bursting with pride that day, just thought id share it with you for those who were there who might have forgot, and for those who are too young to remember, we truly were a great side once.      OTBC

[/quote]

You can say that again JimRoyale, something like the worst second half of a season in the premier leagues history or something.

Remember it well. A look at the league for that season shows just how football has changed. Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Norwich, Oldham, QPR, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Swindon and Wimbledon all in the Premier League. The vast majority of those clubs have suffered from ''financial issues'' at some stage since that season. Were they all poorly run or is there more to it than that?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Remember it well. A look at the league for that season shows just how football has changed. Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Norwich, Oldham, QPR, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Swindon and Wimbledon all in the Premier League. The vast majority of those clubs have suffered from ''financial issues'' at some stage since that season. Were they all poorly run or is there more to it than that?
[/quote]

I don''t think it''s that they were poorly run, it''s the fact that they felt the need to gamble to get back in the premier league and lost. Norwich on the other hand, didn''t gamble enough, it appears but avoided financial troubles but still find themselves stuck outside the riches of the premier league...

[quote user="The Walking Man"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Remember it well. A look at the league for that season shows just how football has changed. Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Norwich, Oldham, QPR, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Swindon and Wimbledon all in the Premier League. The vast majority of those clubs have suffered from ''financial issues'' at some stage since that season. Were they all poorly run or is there more to it than that?[/quote]

I don''t think it''s that they were poorly run, it''s the fact that they felt the need to gamble to get back in the premier league and lost. Norwich on the other hand, didn''t gamble enough, it appears but avoided financial troubles but still find themselves stuck outside the riches of the premier league...

[/quote]Sounds like they were all, Norwich included, fairly poorly run then [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Remember it well. A look at the league for that season shows just how football has changed. Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Norwich, Oldham, QPR, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Swindon and Wimbledon all in the Premier League. The vast majority of those clubs have suffered from ''financial issues'' at some stage since that season. Were they all poorly run or is there more to it than that?
[/quote]

Oldham and Swindon: small clubs punching miles above their weight. A correction was bound to happen soon enough. Wimbledon: in deep trouble as soon as they were relegated, because their tiny fanbase couldn''t sustain a club at that level.

Coventry: not very big, bound to go down at some point, have generally struggled since but avoided the very worst of it, and found a buyer when it was needed. Southampton: not very big, bound to go down at some point, but overreaching themselves even before they were relegated, then run in quite disgraceful fashion afterwards. QPR: not very big, bound to go down at some point, a complete shambles for much of the time since. Norwich: not very big, bound to go down at some point, overreacking ourselves prior to the drop (off the field, not on it), invested in the wrong things and made shocking managerial appointments for the most part since.

Leeds: say no more! Sheff Wed: two disgraceful Chairmen, one of whom ended up on the FA International Committee; but at last under new ownership and with a bright future. If we go down, they''re a club which can give us real cause for hope.

Sheff Utd: generally run OK for the most part, starting to go places now. Ipswich: something of a model in how to be run until one summer of madness messed them up for many years before Evans arrived on the scene.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Remember it well. A look at the league for that season shows just how football has changed. Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Norwich, Oldham, QPR, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Swindon and Wimbledon all in the Premier League. The vast majority of those clubs have suffered from ''financial issues'' at some stage since that season. Were they all poorly run or is there more to it than that?[/quote]

Oldham and Swindon: small clubs punching miles above their weight. A correction was bound to happen soon enough. Wimbledon: in deep trouble as soon as they were relegated, because their tiny fanbase couldn''t sustain a club at that level.

Coventry: not very big, bound to go down at some point, have generally struggled since but avoided the very worst of it, and found a buyer when it was needed. Southampton: not very big, bound to go down at some point, but overreaching themselves even before they were relegated, then run in quite disgraceful fashion afterwards. QPR: not very big, bound to go down at some point, a complete shambles for much of the time since. Norwich: not very big, bound to go down at some point, overreacking ourselves prior to the drop (off the field, not on it), invested in the wrong things and made shocking managerial appointments for the most part since.

Leeds: say no more! Sheff Wed: two disgraceful Chairmen, one of whom ended up on the FA International Committee; but at last under new ownership and with a bright future. If we go down, they''re a club which can give us real cause for hope.

Sheff Utd: generally run OK for the most part, starting to go places now. Ipswich: something of a model in how to be run until one summer of madness messed them up for many years before Evans arrived on the scene.

[/quote]Yeah, I think that''s pretty fair. A mixture of poor ownership, bad luck and teams who were previously punching above their weight going back to their natural level.The only hope I guess is that it shows the cyclical nature of English football [;)]

I watched it on MOTD, I was 14 years old and ripped the michael out of my large contigent of LFC friends at school on the monday :) 

Sutts and Efan just took them apart!!! Should have been 3 to us!!

I was there at the tender age of 14. It was one of the first away matches. I remember bowing to the chorus of "Jermey Jeremy" like he was some sort of god and then watching my brother in law (who is the most controlled man in the world) totally lose it in a bouncing fit of ecstacy. It still makes me chuckle now. The vision of that goal is still so vivid in my mind, even after all those years.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]

Efan Ekoku and Chris Sutton tore Liverpools defence apart time after time, [/quote]

it makes me very sad to think we broke that strike force up... both players had gone less than 6 months later, yet what we could have acheived building the team around them we will probably never have again.

jas :)

I would venture to suggest that Wimbledon''s fate was sealed by Hillsborough. They didn''t have the fan base to comply with the Taylor report, and had to ground share with Palace. As soon as you start to do that, you lose the distinction, and in london, a team without a ground has no identity - its not like other places where you have one local team and fierce local loyalty. Once that happened, the only value in the club, as a bunch of Norwegians also decided, was the redevelopment value of Plough Lane. And following the move to Milton Keynes (the worst move ever) we now have AFC Wimbledon who have the entirety of the old club''s fanbase, and more besides.

But I agree with the rest of the analysis.