Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Declan Rudd should start next season

Just seen Arry Redknapp mentioning our 2 youth keepers and their potential to play for England one day.To avoid another Joe Lewis situation we need to see this young lad in 1st team action.   He clearly has the talent, the spurs youth coach was raving about him the other week.   I would rather play in league 1 with Rudd in goal then some has been who has experience or the current back up keeper.   Yes he will make mistakes, but so did Greeno when he first started but I would really love to see him given the number 1 shirt next season.(The story from Arry is here - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2405789.ece)Just seems that people in the premiership are already well aware of Rudd and rather then risk losing him to a premiership team we should give him his chance.Thoughts ?

Duffman,

I think it''s clear if we get relegated Marshall will leave. Then It''s obvious to give Rudd the shirt.

As good as Rudd can potentially be, potential doesn''t always buy you the groceries. I don''t think he should be pushed straight into the first team. Definately get him on the bench and get him playing in the reserve team against better opoosition than he''ll meet at youth level, but throwing him into the first team straight away is basically going to destroy him if he has a bad game. He needs to be given some TLC before being thrust in at the deep end.  

Lewis definitely benefitted from going out on loan before he left us... I''d hope that we can give Declan a few months at League 2 level (whichever league we''re in), then put him on the bench from January next season. From there it''s up to him to force his way in.

I certainly expect to see Rudd on the bench next season regardless what division we play in.

I suspect Arry will make a move for Rudd over the summer after that comment. Cue Rudd playing for England in three years time!

We''ll be soo skint next season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Gunny as player manager next year, back between the sticks... as well as getting stick.

if we stay up and don''t have to sell the few semi decent players we do own, then i''d prob stick with marshall and maybe consider loaning rudd out next season to see how he gets on if a league 2 team took him. if we go down then i''d personally prefer to offload marshall and go with rudd - we''ll have f.a money so it would be nice if we had the balls to play a highly rated youngster which we''re lucky to have on our books. i was pretty disappointed when we bought marshall (even though i do like him), but just because that meant j lewis never even got a chance and we sold him without one first team app. to his name.same goes with martin and spillane. if we go down, i''d prefer if we simply go rid of permanent players who aren''t good enough to take us forward and give those guys a chance in the first team. it would be nice to establish a fairly stable first team at some point in the near future as the crazy amount of loan signings this season clearly hasn''t done us many favours and i think it''s harder for the fans to connect with the team if it''s changing all the time / half are loanees