Sign in to follow this  
Helsinki canary

Scandinavians go home?

Having seen most of the games this season and on the evidence of tonights 1st half - I am afraid our 3 scandinavian players are just not good enough for this level - Helveg (rubbish v Everton) was not good enough for series A, Jonson has no high level experience and cannot pass the ball and Svenson is a good 1st division striker but too slow for this level. Look at Worthys summer signings and hand on heart there is only one decent signing there and thats Simon Charlton. The January sales will be too late to get any decent players in and the prices will be severely over inflated as all the desperate premier league teams like ourselves will be fighting over the dregs like hungry vultures.

I don´t agree. I know what Jonson is capable of, and he has performed well in the previous games. I´ve never been a big fan of Svensson, but he played really well against Everton and deserved to start. Tonight I´ve was wondering when to substitute him....
Helveg hasn´t played that much really, but of he wants to, he must really start to do better then he has until now.

Another negative poster after a great away point.  We played well until conceding and then another great second half, but still people start negative threads!!!  I don''t get it.

Okay Johnson didn''t set the pitch on fire, but apart from Francis who did?  The whole team played well enough for the point.  To say that Svensson was rubbish is also crazy.  He kept our forward options alive most of the time and we wouldn''t have equalised if he hadn''t been pressurising the two defenders and battling so hard.

We sat too deep in the first half and invited them in and gave them soooo much time on the ball.  Okay we were away and feared the pace of Anelka and Wright-Philips, so you can excuse a little bit of caution.  However, look at the difference in the second half when we weren''t so deep Holt and Francis got more time on the ball and used it to good effect.  Some scary mistakes from Greeno and the defence at times, but lady luck was on our side tonight and we deserved a draw.  Also think Eddy''s passing was improved, so Helveg''s gonna have to wait a bit longer to get another chance in his favoured spot.  Also thought Brennan did okay for his first outing in the Prem and facing some pacey forwards/winger. I wouldn''t change  it for the next match, but would keep a close eye on Leon and bring on McVeigh earlier if he puts in another display like that.

Sorry, I thought Matty S had a good game tonight.  Ok, he didn''t have many (if any) goal opportunities but he held the ball up well and particularly laid it off well, usually finding another man in a green shirt!  He also did a lot of hard work harrying and chasing out in the middle of the park.  Deserves to feature again on Saturday, I think!

I think Jonson looked composed and had more time on the ball than any of the others, (apart form Francis). Ok, he was out of position a couple of times I lost count of the number of times that Holt had acres of space to get the ball down and play, instead he opted for teh first time header or chip into teh waiting machester city defence breaking up another canary attack.

However it was a brilliant point and i thought everyone did their bit,

Another Genius posting

Apparantly Helveg was crap in Serie A, how come he played there for 10 years then ?

Jonson''s got no top level experience, so what''s international and champions league then?

Svennson - His challenging in the box led to the goal last night

Do I like using Smilies ?

Yes

and guess what...my glass is half empty too!!

Having sat with the man City fans last night (see previous post) I can tell you they were gutted about only getting a point last night. Does that not tell us it was a good point for us?

Imagine being stuck with Macmanaman (until end of this season) and Fowler (until end of next) and their enormous salaries on your books. The former can only jog and pass it 10 yards, and the other can''t even run that far! Their only way forward is to sell their quality (SW-P), and they remain convinced they will be back in the scrap come the latter stages of the season.

I''m not a glass half full merchant, and I get as despondant as the rest of you at times, but I do see effort and endeavour from the vast majority of the team on the vast majority of occasions, and that''s what I expect to see (see earlier comments on Macca and Growler if you feel we get short changed). There have been some useful points learned (and picked up) this season so far, and IF we win the next 2 at FCR won''t we all feel better then? It will however remain a scrap until May, so get used to the anxiety and live with it!

Ncfcprem

Points taken - but seems Helveg had not been in first team action in series A for quite a while - would that indicate he was not upto it or was he injured? it was quite a coup for Norwich City to get such an international superstar player so cheaply in the twilight of his career. He is an excellent shielder of the ball and showed some good tackling skills - but his speed and distribution is very suspect - the speed I can understand from the slow boring pace of series A but the distribution is awful - wonder if he is colour blind?

Jonson - I think enough has been said on other postings - we are all entitled to our opinions as loyal supporters (I am one that flies back to Norwich for a large amount of the home games from Finland). Seeing the young lad flood playing from Man C last night - which would be a better return on investment. Jonson already getting on a bit. 

Svensson - as said he has a proven track record in the 1st division - and last night he put himself about as also in the Everton game which helped lift the rest of the team - hope that he can turn that effort into some goals soon.

Overall it was an excellent point - and lady luck turned our way - as Worthy said today - maybe we have turned the corner now and all those efforts that have hit the posts will be going in from now!

Saturdays score

NCFC 2 Blackburn 1

I thought Sven was pretty poor last night.  However, I think it''s worth sticking with a Sven/Leon partnership up front.  The more games they play, and play together, hopefully they will improve.

As for Jonson, yes he had a poor game.  However, he has been steadily improving since he got here.  Stick with him.  He will do well for us this season.  I''m really confident of that