Sign in to follow this  
StevenageFan

Good result

Thought I would try something positive on for size as everyone that has started a topic tonight has decided its easier to moan about the bad stuff than focus on the fact that we got a decent point tonight.

Negatives:  we sat to deep to start with, but had good reason to do so (pacey quality strikers).  Hux was unimpressive, but well marked frequently by 2 players.  Crosses from everyone were poor, either low or too close to keeper.  Green very unlucky with goal.  Leon looked out of sorts, but was he properly fit after injury?

Positives:  First 15 minutes were much improved, up until conceding. Second half as what we have come to expect.  Work rate and ethics unquestionable from everyone.  Well taken goal from Francis.  Continous battling from Svensson.  Encouraging first appearance from Brennan against some very good pacey players.  Edworthy passing looked better.  Holt was a torment all match.  Hendo looked good albeit for a short amount of time.  Green redeemed himself with some good saves especially the one onto the post.  Lady luck was on our side for a clear penalty against Flem.  Best of all we didn''t lose and we are off the bottom...........AGAIN!    Oh and Harry Redknapp (spelling?) said don''t write us off, we have had a tough start to the season fixture wise and picked up some good points, thanks Harry.

I generally agree with you Stevenage Fan but although I am I suppose happy with the point I thought the game was there for the taking and feel a bit frustrated that we didn''t get the win.

The reason for my frustration is that we just allowed them to play for huge swathes of the first half- no tackles, no pressure, as you also identified the defence were far too deep with the strikers left stranded as Holt and Francis tried to shore things up. Now I thought we were actually damn lucky not to go in a couple down. Time and again we let them play and gave them way too much space in dangerous positions.

Again the second half transformation is mystifying and showed that when we did get the basics right we were the better side. For 20-25 minutes or so there was really only one team in it and better passing between the three strikers could have resulted in another goal, with Francis and Edworthy getting forward whenever possble. Then we reverted to the first half style and let them back in, the Flood shot which hit the post, the two penalty appeals were all the result of panic ridden defending with players sitting too deep and allowing runners to come up into the danger areas unmarked.

Surely by now we know we can beat these sides and we don''t have to be frightened or cautious. My goodness, playing 4-3-3 away at Man City is a truly bold move by Nigel (who is to be applauded for the approach he took) but the players couldn''t repay his confidence in the first half.

Shame Hux didn''t have one of his better games (he seemed a bit overawed by the attention as an ex-Man City player) but I thought Sven had a good game as did Holt who has been much criticised this season. Edworthy did well and Henderson looked pretty assured in the few minutes he had which was great to see. Nice to see Brennan back who with a good run could be an asset on the left and he coped manfully with Wright-Phillips and Flood ripping down their right.

But Jonson disappointed and Leon just kept getting caught offside time and time again. The real problem is that defence sitting too far back and Holt and Francis almost on top of them meaning any balls out into midfield tended to ping back too quickly.

Yes, a point and some good individual showings but that game was truly there for the taking and we couldn''t quite exploit Mills and Dunne''s terrible performances. Roll on Sat- its going to be a cracker methinks.

I felt very positive after the game and thought that there was some good performances, Harry Redknapp said it was a good point and as so many other teams are drawing we moved off the bottom.

Now this morning almost every post and thread is negative and whilst some are mildly constructive most are the usual ''pinch penny City with crap Scandanavians fail to win again. P.S. Holt still useless'' variety. 

Little over a year ago pre- Hucks, Harper, Crouch we were going nowhere and less than a year later people are complaining that we failed to win at Manchester City. Some people need to get real, realise we can''t buy ''til January and stop bringing the rest of us down.

There were probably people booing Henderson''s every move from their living rooms when he came on, just keeping their hand in for Saturday.

Perhaps it''s time I found a new message board.   

GOOD RESULT?!?!?!  If I have to read "WORTHY PLEASED WITH POINT" on sky sports anymore this season I''m going to scream!!!

Last night was not a good result - Man City were garbage they had 2 decent players, unfortunately we showed we had less than that.  Forget about the teams in the Premiership''s first division - we have to be beating the teams around us, and last night Man City were there for the taking - and we failed.

Don''t get me wrong I want to be positive I want to believe, but it has now been 11 games and our squad is better than that - at some point we nede to start being honest:

JONSON was cr&p

Huckerby - unfortunately crocked himself by falling badly on his knee in the first half and never really looked right afterwards.

A win against Blackburn?  God I hope so - if we don''t we''re in the deep do do''s

Yeah there were positives from last night but not many. Stevenage Fan you must be the most boring football fan in the world.

Things AREN''T always great and people don''t have to agree with everything the manager is doing because "he knows best" people don''t have to encourage players when they are playing below par, people are entitled to voice there opinions on what''s going wrong if they feel that something is going wrong it doesn''t make them less of a fan.

If fans just sat back and took everything without questioning the board, the manager or the players we would still have Chase draining our money or...god-forbid...Bryan Hamilton. It''s our duty as fans to get behind the team but its also our duty to say when we are unhappy.

I''m not saying "sack Worthy" or "Huckerby is rubbish" coz he''s had one bad game. I think Worthy has done a superb job but that doesn''t mean that he should be beyond criticsm. Nobody is.

No need for that shortfatb, there''s a lot of positives to come out of last night, so lets all just be positive. i think all this talk of new strikers should be left alone till january. yeah o.k so the moaners do have some good points to make but we can''t just criticise all the time. yes Holty does let himself down with passing and technique, but his work rate and commitment is there for all to see. i think he had a decent game last night and broke up the play and was solid, and he didn''t give the ball away too much. most of the critics are blowing things out of proportion. it was good to see the players working hard to win the ball back especially in the 2nd half. and i think the defence were very good and strong, and limited man city''s chances, despite a couple of nervy moments. Francis was terrific as always and hucks was quiet but he constantly had two men or more on him the entire game but he still created some good chances.

Now then, i think that the elusive 3 points will come on sat, so will you all please stop moaning all the time and get behind the lads, cos bein negative gets you nowhere.  

Do not despair ShortfatB - I''m with you!! There are people who can remember last year (and the 8 before it) and I''m still positive about the future, whatever league we''re in.

You are right stella - we did show the squad for what it is last night - we are 2 quality player shortr of Citeh and in addition we did not play well. On the balance of play we should have lost and as such how can a point away from home from a 1-1 draw not be a good result? OTBC

What about that offside decision? I couldn''t hear the commentary over all the loud noise in the pub, but it looked extremely clear that McKenzie (or was it Francis?- both were involved in the break) was in his own half when the ball was passed to him. If that linesman hadn''t flagged, we could have had a 3 on 1 situation and maybe even a goal.
Everything evened out in the end tho, as Man City should have had one penalty.

Is it me, or have we had a lot of shocking refereeing decisions this year?

[quote]GOOD RESULT?!?!?! If I have to read "WORTHY PLEASED WITH POINT" on sky sports anymore this season I''m going to scream!!! Last night was not a good result - Man City were garbage they had 2 decent pl...[/quote]

All things are relative Stella !

Worthy was pleased with a point because it was better than a defeat with no points. Of course he would have been even more pleased with a win and three points.

If you take an honest unbiased look at the game we could have gone down by  five goals couldn''t we ? So even more reason to be pleased with a point.

So don''t scream yet Stella, save it for Saturday when we win and we will all scream with you !

[quote]Yeah there were positives from last night but not many. Stevenage Fan you must be the most boring football fan in the world. Things AREN''T always great and people don''t have to agree with everything...[/quote]

Stevenage Fan you must be the most boring football fan in the world.  - How do you come to that conclusion?  Is it because I am positive?  Is it because I see the good things and the bad things and from last nights games and thought there were more good than bad?  Is it because a draw away from home against Man City, a team that could have been 3-0 up at half time and should have had a penalty in the second, in my opinion was a good result?

Things AREN''T always great and people don''t have to agree with everything the manager is doing because "he knows best" people don''t have to encourage players when they are playing below par, people are entitled to voice there opinions on what''s going wrong if they feel that something is going wrong it doesn''t make them less of a fan. - totally agree with you, never said anything to argue those points, was merely trying to be positive.  Yes we have drawn a lot, but forgetting all the others last nights draw was a good one, because we were close to losing more than once.

I never said anything about people not being able to have their opinions, my whole message is my opinion.  In my opinion we scrapped out a good away point, so to come on the board and see the usual drivel about Scandinavians losing us the game and Holt being rubbish was annoying. 

In the big picture I am annoyed that we haven''t won yet and I am annoyed with some performances from a lot of the players including Jonsson, Holt, Francis and McKenzie, but from last nights game I could only see good things and was please that we didn''t lose, because we damn near did.

Thanx bananaman, perhaps you me and Stevenage should start our own site, ''Views from the Bright Yellow Side'' or ''Glad we''re not Wolves'' perhaps?

Yep - we can take Zippers Left Foot (otherwise known as "he who speaketh the most sense") and a few others and discuss the REALITIES of REAL football in the REAL modern day world.Actually... I might really set that up. Any wallet-wavers, armchair Ron-Atkinsons, conspiracy theorists or people that think Iwan should still be at the club will be banned!

Ok. Apologies Stevenage Fan I was probably a bit harsh. You''re just being positive rather than being a moaner like me (yes I admit it I am a moaner) that doesn''t make you boring just because you don''t moan about stuff.

I''m just getting bored of every week saying "first win will come soon" and "yeah but thingy played well" I think we''re underachieving, we knew it would be tough up here but I think we''re a better side than we''re showing and Man City were poor last night, I felt we should have beaten them and it wasn''t a good result. It wasn''t bad but it weren''t good.

I have been a City fan for about 40 years now, and Man City is one of those places we always seem to lose at (except 97?) so even for just that point I am pleased.  After 11 games in the Prem, the attitude of the players has been excellent, no team works harder - what more can we ask.  Look at some of the teams who have invested heavily (Brum, charlton, The Baggies) has it done them any good?  People like steady Eddie, Flem and Holt have been the ultimate professionals this year and deserve our support and respect.  as for Jonson, OK he hasn´´t been great, but not through lack of effort.  What he needs is confidence, which is not going to be gained by him getting stick 

I have to admit that after the game last night I was a bit p***ed off.  But in hindsight a point away at Man City isn''t to bad.  It''s a tough place to go to.  We just need to start picking up maximum points at home.

We''ll be right!

Nick Wright- We are ALL behind the team & I don''t think anyone is really moaning as such.  I love this club (as we all do) but last night was NOT good enough. We didn''t play well, the final ball was lacking and once again, half-chances were not put away. We were lucky not to concede 2 penalties late on in the game,(Worthy himself admitted it afterwards, which is why he was pleased with a point).

Our midfield was ripped to bits by one touch football and 2 excellent saves from Greeno kept us in it, OK he was at fault for their goal but how many mistakes does he actually make? 

Once again, this is not a moan, just factual observations from the game. OTBC

I agree completely with you bananaman, while I enjoy a number of posters, ZippersLeftFoot puts more objective quality into his posts than anyone else on here. He should be given the "golden pen" award to hold on to until someone else can take it from him on merit. Keep it up ZLF, it might make the rest of us aspire to higher quality input.