Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Relegation release clauses.

Two years ago, signing a contract for us with this in the fine print wouldn''t have even been discussed. It''s just a thing any sensible player would do to keep on a good wage and playing a good level. Now, however, it is very much a different case. What players do you think have a relegation release clause?I''d imagine; Clingan, Doc, Croft would be amongst the first to come to mind.Thoughts anyone?

Very often these are insisted upon by the club, not the player, so that on a long term contract they are not committed to paying the same level of wages if the team are relegated.  It has been standard practice for quite some years now.

It''s usually wage increase/decrease that the clubs want. Like when we were in the Premiership, and Huckerby was earning £30k etc. I''d imagine Drury will feel this most if we go down. He must have been earning £15/20k in the Premiership, down to £4/5k in League 1!

Relegation release clauses are usually insisted on by agents.

[quote user="AJ"]Two years ago, signing a contract for us with this in the fine print wouldn''t have even been discussed. It''s just a thing any sensible player would do to keep on a good wage and playing a good level. Now, however, it is very much a different case. What players do you think have a relegation release clause?I''d imagine; Clingan, Doc, Croft would be amongst the first to come to mind.Thoughts anyone?[/quote]It''s a worry. Those who have been on contract with us for 3, 4 years probably wouldn''t. But the players which have joined us in the last two years, or re-signed in the last two years, could well have requested one of these. We know that we''ve had poor minimum fee release causes put on players already, so i dread to think how cheap we could let some players go in League One, or if we could get anything for them at all.

[quote user="Cowley"]we only have a few contracted players anyway shouldn''t matter to much[/quote]Very, very sad but true statement

[quote user="AJ"]Two years ago, signing a contract for us with this in the fine print wouldn''t have even been discussed. It''s just a thing any sensible player would do to keep on a good wage and playing a good level. Now, however, it is very much a different case. What players do you think have a relegation release clause?

I''d imagine; Clingan, Doc, Croft would be amongst the first to come to mind.

Thoughts anyone?
[/quote]

Why would Croft have a relegation release clause when he isnt even going to have a contract? Clingan deal looks done and dusted even if we stayed up, Doherty couldnt get another contract in the summer.

It does frustrate me that the uncommitted polayers can walk free having taken the club down.   Inconsistent quality performances from the whole squad,  including the saintly clingan and croft, are the very reason why we are likely to be in league one next season.  Yet they will be free to walk away and play elsewhere while we fans have to suffer in a lower league.

I am all for thjem having to suffer with us - contracts with reduced wages that the club can afford in the lower and the forced to remain at the club they relegated unless the club choses to sell seems a reasonable carrot before the donkeys to me.  

And who cares about unfair contract terms - its about relating earnings to performances!!