Sign in to follow this  
Berkshire Canary

Interview with Coppell

Just heard an interview with Steve Coppell on Radio Berkshire, he has said that he plans to rest a number key players for the last 2 games of the season in preparation for the play-offs.

Could give us a fighting chance then.

Could be worse. Squad players, players out of contract soon champing at the bit to impress. We need to make sure the attitude is right in our camp before worrying about which eleven Reading send out.

So instead of playing that team that, until last night at least, couldn''t score, he''s going to play some fringe players with everything to prove... not sure if that''s such a good thing for us.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]So instead of playing that team that, until last night at least, couldn''t score, he''s going to play some fringe players with everything to prove... not sure if that''s such a good thing for us.[/quote]Two words... Leroy Lita.

If Birmingham lose Saturday he might change his mind as they are six points behind with a vastly superior goal difference and guess who they play on the final day...?

Jesus wept. It''s clearly good news if they rest players. After all, their reserves are so bad they''ve had to end up playing for us. Bring it on.

Well lets say for arguements sake he rests the likes of Hunt and Kitson I would hardly call it a bad thing, OK, they haven''t been playing too well recently but players like that are always going to pose a threat.

i know its scary... BUT my goodness... isn''t this all so exciting!!!!! lolzers. I mean at the top of the league its close to call and at the bottom it''s well... squeaky bum time!English football... by far the most entertaining in the world!look at league two''s playoff race... amazing!

sorry going waaay ot here :-)

I''m pinning my hopes on Duberry not being able to handle Lee. Cort beat Duberry to the high ball every single time in the 2nd half of the game at Reading which we should never have lost and I am confident that Lee will be too much for Duberry on Monday. Therefore, I am hoping we start with Lee and pace (MacDonald) up front on Monday night. A midfield of Croft, Clingan, Russell and Pattison would be my choice because I think Gow is too lightweight for a game of such importance. Pattison has played with total commitment and tenacity whenever I have seen him play but is clearly out of favour with "the management".

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]If Birmingham lose Saturday he might change his mind as they are six points behind with a vastly superior goal difference and guess who they play on the final day...?[/quote]Aye. If Brum win then I can see Reading playing a weakend team yes, but if Brum lose then no chance.

Lita is injured so he won''t be playing and there are also rumours of a further bust up with Coppell.

As for resting Hunt, he''s not been first choice recently and has arguably been our worst player this season. He was on the bench v Derby though.

Liked the comment about Duberry not being able to handle Lee. You haven''t seen Andre Bikey yet!!

If Coppell does rest players it will be more l ikely to be Kitson, Bikey, or the left back Armstrong who has been Reading''s best player this season, although injured for Derby match. Doyle also not first choice at the mo, though he may play against Norwich if Kitson is rested.

[quote user="norfolk royal"]

Lita is injured so he won''t be playing and there are also rumours of a further bust up with Coppell.

As for resting Hunt, he''s not been first choice recently and has arguably been our worst player this season. He was on the bench v Derby though.

Liked the comment about Duberry not being able to handle Lee. You haven''t seen Andre Bikey yet!!

If Coppell does rest players it will be more l ikely to be Kitson, Bikey, or the left back Armstrong who has been Reading''s best player this season, although injured for Derby match. Doyle also not first choice at the mo, though he may play against Norwich if Kitson is rested.

[/quote]

I must admit that I don''t know much about Bikey except that he''s been with you for a few years now is 6ft and weighs under 13 stone. Why did he not play against us in December ? I was at the Norwich swansea game the other week and Lee gave their very big centre back Williams a torrid time so I woudl guess that Bikey will ahve a tough time against Lee although he does have 9 years "advantage" over Lee !

Bikey is a Cameroon international chiefly famous for being sent off for headbutting a stretcher bearer at the last African Cup of Nations. Very good player though and had a few in his pocket in the premiership last year.

Came back into the team recently following injury to Ivar Ingimarrsson, usually first choice.

I''d be very surprised if Bikey was under 13 stone, he looks a fair bit more than that to me. He certainly won''t be having any sleepless nights about Alan ''Give me a contract and then I''ll be rubbish'' Lee.

Bikey is a Cameroon international chiefly famous for being sent off for headbutting a stretcher bearer at the last African Cup of Nations. Very good player though and had a few in his pocket in the premiership last year.

Came back into the team recently following injury to Ivar Ingimarrsson, usually first choice.

I''d be very surprised if Bikey was under 13 stone, he looks a fair bit more than that to me. He certainly won''t be having any sleepless nights about Alan ''Give me a contract and then I''ll be rubbish'' Lee.

[/quote]

Good self-discipline then ! I''m sure Mr Bikey won''t have any sleepless nights about marking Lee as I doubt that he even knows the player. On the other hand, I would add that Lee wouldn''t have any sleepless nights about being marked by Bikey and if he knows that Bikey head -butted a stretcher bearer (what a claim to fame) I should think he will be relishing the prospect of winding up such a hot headed individual. As for Lee being rubbish, I''ve seen him play and he''s far from that so I will have no sleepless nights worrying about that suggestion !

Bikey is a bit of a hothead, you''re right about that, but when he''s good he''s very good.

As for Lee, I''ve seen him play plenty of times as well. He''s an average championship centre forward imho. And he hasn''t got a contract yet.

Bikey is a bit of a hothead, you''re right about that, but when he''s good he''s very good.

As for Lee, I''ve seen him play plenty of times as well. He''s an average championship centre forward imho. And he hasn''t got a contract yet.

[/quote]

So, not rubbish then ?! On the basis of Lee''s recent performances I rate Lee as a good "in your face" bullying, elbowing, old fashioned centre forward who possess some dent skills and pace. Trouble is, he''s getting on in years and probably doesn''t have much left in the tank.

Could be good could be bad;  as well as playing for contracts etc they may also fancy pushing themselves into contention for the play games too.

However agree that non first choice players should also give us a better chance,

As usual with city the key question is not what the opposition turn up with,  but whether our team turns up at all.  If they do 3 points is a possibility,

Believe you me, if our players don''t work hard enough and play with some pride and determination, then we could lose this one, no mattter what team Mr Coppell puts out. I''ve seen it all before. The opposition have fielded weakened teams (due to injuries) and City have lost. Teams have arrived at "Fortress" Carrow Rd with nothing to play for and City have managed to lose somehow. Teams have come to Carrow Rd with the most appalling away records, and lousy runs of form and our yellow bellies have still contrived to throw the game away. I no longer have any idea of what sort of performance and result to expect.

What chance is there of Mooney playing for Reading against us, in a similar fashion to Cureton against Barnsley..? That would be the icing on the top of what has been a wretched season for Lita and Mooney to start up front against us and help Reading to a win that condemns us.

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]

Believe you me, if our players don''t work hard enough and play with some pride and determination, then we could lose this one, no mattter what team Mr Coppell puts out. I''ve seen it all before. The opposition have fielded weakened teams (due to injuries) and City have lost. Teams have arrived at "Fortress" Carrow Rd with nothing to play for and City have managed to lose somehow. Teams have come to Carrow Rd with the most appalling away records, and lousy runs of form and our yellow bellies have still contrived to throw the game away. I no longer have any idea of what sort of performance and result to expect.

[/quote]That''s just what I''ve been thinking! Nothing is ever straightforward with us.