Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Lets put it another way

I know we haven''t made the start that some people thought we would.  But let me put it this way if I can:

Games lost - Manchester united, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton

That''s not too shabby.  That''s not too shabby at all.  Apart from Everton (who have had a surpsingly amazing start) I didn''t expect us to get any points from the above games.  Did anyone else?

Games drawn- Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Spurs, Villa, Pompey, West Brom and Man City.

Ok, I think everyone thought (hoped) we would beat Palace.  I accept that.  However, taking points off Newcastle, Spurs and Man City (all away from home!) is not that too bad at all. 

We have played some excellent teams.  Teams which spend a lot of money.  Teams which are looking to the top of the Premiership.

I think we have got used to winning and it''s a shock when it doesn''t happen as often as we want.  I''m completely guilty of this.  I''m desperate for us to win.  Absolutely desperate.  In recent years, if we haven''t made the play-offs, it''s been a bad year.  To make the play-offs you need to win 80% (if not more) of your home games and make sure you win 20% (if not more) of your away games (and pick up a lot of draws).  We can''t expect to do that this year.  It''s going to be tough.

Although I''ve been moaning about not spending enough, who i want to buy in january etc I still think we can stay up.  I stand by my comments about strikers but I''m 100% behind the lads.  I think it''s fair to air my views about certain players.  But to start threads about how rubbish players are, or how they should go home, I would never do (Note:  I''m not finger pointing here!  Every fan has their right to opinion)

We''ll do it.  I''m sure.  The season is young. 

DDiM you realise Yankee is going to jump on you yet again for seemingly changing your mind, lol.

These are the exact sentiments I have been promoting.  We have to face that we don''t have bundles of cash and are going to struggle to say here.  From what I have seen and listened to we are playing some good football with a very low budget team.  This squad can fight to stay up.  Yes it would be nice to get a couple of amazing signings, but unless any deal for Greeno is a good one we probably won''t have the cash.

Lets just keep getting behind the team and the management and hope that their massive learning curve will start to pay off against some of the lesser teams to come.

I totally agree with you DD. Would we prefer to be 2 points better off having beat palace and wba, and getting tonked in the other games?! I really can say that we have been in every game except Arsenal and Liverpool.

I think that this is an honest summary of how the mast majority of reasoned thinkers on this message board must be feeling when they stop to reflect sensibly rather than in the heat of an after-match moment, or a on-line debating session.

We are all desperate for the team to do well, we all care passionately, and we''d all love to be stroming ahead in the latter stages of 2004 as we did in the first half. But remember Watford and Bradford at home? Remember Cardiff and Palace away? All moments where longing and desire and frustrated passion (whilst understandable and laudable emotions) could have got in the way of patience and perseverance and ultimately achievement. We would all have taken 17th position at the start of the season, and there will be many jangled nerve endings before it is or isn''t achieved. But surely the sense of excitement, adrenalin, elation and disappointment we''re going through are simply all part of the fun we get out of really caring about a very special football team: it''s been the longest love affair of my life and I''m still happily married after over 40 years of going to FCR and the rest of the land to pour out that passion, and now my son comes along too so the next generation will keep the baton well and truly alive. We could all have taken the safe but mundane route of being a man united sheep after all, and be so depressed with finishing third that the chips on our shoulders begins to look like a bag of King Edwards.

So care away, question and challenge, but for god''s sake recognise that the jangling nerves and raw emotions that are a good sign that you are truly alive and engaged, and that''s what we''re truly lucky to be experiencing.

DD, I just about fell off my chair when I read your first post on this thread. It looks to me like you''ve copied what I had to say ( almost verbatim ) from an earlier thread when pointed the same perspective out to you and Wizard. I''m pleased to see you doing this, however and encourage you to continue. Perhaps you can have a word with Wizard and see if he can take a positive pill also. 

[quote]DD, I just about fell off my chair when I read your first post on this thread. It looks to me like you''ve copied what I had to say ( almost verbatim ) from an earlier thread when pointed the same pers...[/quote]

I am on the whole a very "glass half full" kind of person YC!  We''ll be all right

Shropshire Canary, I just wanted to say how exactly you have summed up things as I see them from my perspective too.  I''m sure that most, if not all, of us feel the same way as you do.  Even the thought of us being relegated, IF it happens, and the Binners possibly going the other way, IF it happens, does nothing to make me feel the slightest bit different.  In fact it would make me more so, if that''s possible!