Sign in to follow this  
Foxy is a Pleasure

Magilton sacked

[quote user="CT "]Some felt the same about Gunny....[/quote]I think it''s a bit before your time CT, but Gunn is a legend at this club, and Magilton is possibly one of most hated players in ''recent'' years, and despite the fact that Gunn shouldn''t have got the job, he deserves it more than Magilton.  He was a complete idiot as a player, and just as bad as a manager when it came to his opinions on Norwich.  Luckily he wouldn''t ever consider taking the job, so we don''t have to worry.

lets put it this way

i wouldn;t want either but if had to have

magilton or gunn...........i''d sadly pick magilton (even though he crap manager)

ipswich will get boothroyd in anycase NAP

Oh I know all about Gunny status as player.

Forgetting all of Magiltons and Gunnys player history- which of them would you prefer to manage us?

I.E who do you think is the better manager of the 2- i know who i think...

Warnock might well be an unprintable expletive deleted, but he has also managed 4 top 10 finishes in this league in the last 5 seasons.  The only other manager to do that is Mick McCarthy.  Ok, he''s likely to have a 4 top tens out of 6 seasons record at the end of this season, but you have to wonder if that blonde freak down at Palace has backed him fully.  If Evans is willing to spend, and Warnock is Mad Jims'' replacement, then Ipswich will likely be top 6 next season.

Magilton has had time and money to show what he is capable of and he has completely under-achieved. Gunn walked into a sinking ship with no money and has had little time to be judged fairly in my opinion. Ultimately only time will tell.

[quote user="CT "]

Forgetting all of Magiltons and Gunnys player history- which of them would you prefer to manage us?

[/quote]Honestly?  Ask any Ipswich fan, and I know plenty having lived in Suffolk all my life, and they believe that the Gunn appointment is very similar to Magilton''s.  What has Magilton ever done as manager?  Nothing, and he has had a far bigger budget over the past two seasons than Grant, Roeder or Gunn.  Personally I wouldn''t want either in charge, but if I had to choose it would be Gunn.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="CT "]

[/quote]Honestly?  Ask any Ipswich fan, and I know plenty having lived in Suffolk all my life, and they believe that the Gunn appointment is very similar to Magilton''s.  What has Magilton ever done as manager?  Nothing, and he has had a far bigger budget over the past two seasons than Grant, Roeder or Gunn.  Personally I wouldn''t want either in charge, but if I had to choose it would be Gunn.[/quote]Well said [:)]

[quote user="CT "]

[/quote]

Gunn has not had time or the means to prove himself yet. He inherited an abysmal situation and has made as good a fist of it as anybody. Only my opinion I know but I am sure that time will show Gunn to be an excellent manager. I have constantly been surprised at the nastiness of the criticism aimed at Gunn and, for that matter, players like Cureton, who have incurred the wrath of some of the posters on here. Makes me wonder why peopel like that bother "supporting" Norwich. Constructive observation and criticism is one thing but gratuitous and unsolicited jeering and spite aimed at Gunn and players is inane and plain unintelligent. 

He still did better than any of our managers in the last few years, we would kill to be 9th right now. Heard saturday Warnock has the job.

why is everyone expecting warnock to get the job??? have i missed something??

warnock would be excellent choice in my opinion

Southampton Echo says :-

Hoddle Ipswich favourite after Magilton sacked

1:30pm Wednesday 22nd April 2009

comment Comments (1)   Have your say »

Glenn Hoddle has been installed as the early favourite to take over as Ipswich boss after ex-Saint Jim Magilton was sacked.

Magilton was appointed in June 2006 and after being handed £12m to spend on players by new owner Marcus Evans was expected to challenge for promotion this season.

However, despite beating deadly rivals Norwich 3-2 on Sunday, Ipswich are marooned in midtable, some 12 points adrift of the top six.

Magilton had been under fire from Ipswich fans for the majority of the season after a lack of progress on the field despite spending heavily on new players like David Norris, Jon Stead and Veliche Shumulikoski.

In a statement Evans said: “Today is a sad day for me.

“I have enjoyed working with Jim over the past 15 months and no one has worked harder to bring success to Ipswich Town in that time.

“Jim has a passion for the club but unfortunately we have not made the progress both he and I expected this season.

“I would like to put on record my thanks for his commitment to this Football Club and wish him every success for the future.”

Assistant manager John Gorman, who arrived to help Magilton at the end of January, has also left Portman Road.

No announcement has yet been made over who will take charge of the final two games of the season while Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has also been linked with the post.

Magilto is very similar to Gunn , got the job because of his playing days at Town and he was the cheap option .It has not worked out and nor will Gunn , thats why we need a manager too in the summer.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

Southampton Echo says :-

Hoddle Ipswich favourite after Magilton sacked

1:30pm Wednesday 22nd April 2009

comment Comments (1)   Have your say »

Glenn Hoddle has been installed as the early favourite to take over as Ipswich boss after ex-Saint Jim Magilton was sacked.

Magilton was appointed in June 2006 and after being handed £12m to spend on players by new owner Marcus Evans was expected to challenge for promotion this season.

However, despite beating deadly rivals Norwich 3-2 on Sunday, Ipswich are marooned in midtable, some 12 points adrift of the top six.

Magilton had been under fire from Ipswich fans for the majority of the season after a lack of progress on the field despite spending heavily on new players like David Norris, Jon Stead and Veliche Shumulikoski.

In a statement Evans said: “Today is a sad day for me.

“I have enjoyed working with Jim over the past 15 months and no one has worked harder to bring success to Ipswich Town in that time.

“Jim has a passion for the club but unfortunately we have not made the progress both he and I expected this season.

“I would like to put on record my thanks for his commitment to this Football Club and wish him every success for the future.”

Assistant manager John Gorman, who arrived to help Magilton at the end of January, has also left Portman Road.

No announcement has yet been made over who will take charge of the final two games of the season while Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has also been linked with the post.

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HODDLE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Magilto is very similar to Gunn , got the job because of his playing days at Town and he was the cheap option .It has not worked out and nor will Gunn , thats why we need a manager too in the summer.
[/quote]

Not similar really in that Magilton didn''t take over a team that was staring down relegation , full of loan players and had no money available.

I think you will find when Magilton took over they were fairly close to the bottom and could not afford to buy anybody worth that much at all , all his troubles have come about because of Marcus Evans money.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]I think you will find when Magilton took over they were fairly close to the bottom and could not afford to buy anybody worth that much at all , all his troubles have come about because of Marcus Evans money.
[/quote]

No. "Magilton was appointed as Ipswich manager on 5 June 2006.

In May 2007, Magilton was linked with the NI manager''s job decided against taking the post due to his lack of experience.

In Magilton''s first season in charge (2006–07), he led Ipswich to a satisfactory 14th position. Then, in the 2007–08 Season, Magilton lead Town to an impressive 8th place finish, missing out on the play-offs by a single point. This position was obtained by virtue of Town''s excellent home record despite their poor away form. Despite the relative success and progress of the team some fans were not happy with his sides failure to make the playoffs in 2008/09."

[quote user="First Wizard"]God I hope they get Roeder![:D][/quote]

You should have followed that with an evil cackle[6]

[quote user="First Wizard"]God I hope they get Roeder![:D][/quote]

I would think they will get it down to a shortlist of two, Roeder and Grant, ah , decisions decisions . . . . .! [;)]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Curbishley has been long tipped
[/quote]

He must have as good credentials as anybody.

My choice would be Hoddle or Bryan Robson..........that''d really drag them down.

[/quote]

What are these good credentials then ? Surely, he should be classified as a rookie manager on this MB ?!

I presume they sacked him now so that the new candidates can get a good look at the players in their last 2 matches, a decision can be made probably after the last game, and the new manager can get down to business at close of play this season.

I guess, why stick with Magilton when he isnt wanted.