Sign in to follow this  
rjwc22

Can Ipswich afford Keane?

Now I am not suggesting that his appointment is a bad one, but at Sunderland all Keane demonstrated (to my mind) was an ability to spend a lot of money.

I think the total was something like £70m on 33 players during his tenure and this begs the question - can Ipswich afford this?

Marcus Evans is notoriously secretive and little is known about him but it is estimated that his personal wealth is somewhere around £200m which certainly dwarves Deliah''s £13m but is not going to keep Keane in prawn sandwiches for long unless he is prepared to commit a huge % of this to the club in what are uncertain economic times, which see the Marcus Evans group struggling and laying off staff.

Initially it is thought that he has spent circa £30m in purchasing Ipswich (though some of this will only be debt guarantee) and in bringing in Keane is committing to massively increase the club''s wage bill along with providing another £20m for transfer funds.

I cannot see Ipswich being able to make a profit any time soon with these changes and I doubt Keane is going to find Evans'' pockets as deep as those of the Irish horse traders up North.

I am intrigued to see how this plays out as think it is going to be a one shot deal.  Ipswich will spend some money on players in the summer and will have next season to prove they can go up.  If they fail to do this cannot see Keane hanging around (how is he going to stake his claim for the Old Trafford job in the champ) and think ME will get bored soon as well.

As a Norwich fan I am actually wuite happy to see ME spending some money at town as if nothing else it could help to draw attention to football in our region and hopefully increase the attractiveness of NCFC for potential investors.

I think thats a good analysis of the situation. Far from being a decisive, bold move from Evans the fact that Keane was in so quickly speaks to me of an owner who is desperate for success. Well what happens when that success isn''t forthcoming? How much more money will the Marcus Evans ''Credit Card'' stretch too? Interesting times ahead and like I said on another thread if it doesn''t work out with Keane then I feel Ipswich are in for some rocky times ahead.

Maybe Keane will be successful with less money?Even if Ipswich limit his spending to 10 or 20 million, that will still be many times over what is available to Gunn thanks to our inept board.

I think the transfer budget will certainly be at least 10x ours, but not sure that it will go further.

With 15 players out of contract in the summer can see Keane wanting a clear out and wanting to bring in a lot of new faces.  However this is a man used to spending £5-10m on a single player and as such £20m is not going to go very far in building a squad.

I think he will bring in a couple of big name Prem players and maybe a couple of other good champ additions but not much more than this.  As such will be interesting to see what kind of squad he has next year.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I think the transfer budget will certainly be at least 10x ours, but not sure that it will go further.

With 15 players out of contract in the summer can see Keane wanting a clear out and wanting to bring in a lot of new faces.  However this is a man used to spending £5-10m on a single player and as such £20m is not going to go very far in building a squad.

I think he will bring in a couple of big name Prem players and maybe a couple of other good champ additions but not much more than this.  As such will be interesting to see what kind of squad he has next year.

[/quote]His managerial experience was at one club, which had the cash to spend, so he spent it. To judge him as you have upon that seems slightly unbalanced.I personally think he''ll do well at Ipswich, I expect to see them pushing for the playoffs next season.A far cry I imagine, from where Norwich will be.

There is nothing unbalanced about judging a man on the facts.

I am not saying I think he will fail or that Ipswich will go bust or anything stupid.  I also can see them challenging next year.  However money is no guarantee of success in this division (QPR) nor is the appointment of a big name manager whatever his experience is.

Given the limited work experience he has, I think it is just as likely that he will turn out to be the next Bryan Robson as the next Bobby that all the Ipswich fans want.

Whatever happens, he will certainly raise the profile of Ipswich which I think was probably one of the main reasons he was picked.

They have said they will back him , he will get around £20 million and they probably only need to add 2 or 3 more quality players to make them serious contenders anyway .Supporting Norwich these days is a bit like supporting a non league side, Delia Smith is just so far out of her depth its unreal.

The main flaw in your argument is that Evans''s wealth far exceeds £200m, according to most reports he is an actual fact a Billionaire, the estimated £200m was exactly that based on his british financial affairs, however most of his business is abroad and nobody knows his true wealth, except he tried to buy the trinity mirror paper for £800m a few years back So he clearly has very deep pockets!

As for keane this £70m is a myth, he spent around £10m to get Sunderland promoted from the ccc, if rumours are to be believed he has twice that kitty to splash next season on us, the £70m is what he spent in the PL as well!

I think you are forgetting one vital fact.  Sunderland had a sh*t squad, Ipswich on the other hand have a decent sized squad with some quality in it already - its not a rebuilding job.[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]