Sign in to follow this  
ACE

Roy Keane - Managerial Record - Championship

Ok, been doing some digging out of curiosity at some of the "wallet manager" stuff.  Lets see how much he actually spent on getting Sunderland from bottom of the Championship to promotion in the same season.....All info from soccerbase.comDwight Yorke 220KLiam Miller FreeStanislav Varga & Ross Wallace combined fee 1.1 millionGraham Kavanagh 500KDavid Connolly 1.4 millionAnthony Stokes 2 millionCarlos Edwards 1.5 millionStern John FreeTotal transfer fees: 6.72 million

Now bearing in mind WE paid during the same season:3.5 million for Earnie 600k For CroftTotal transfer fees: 4.1 millionThe difference between him getting them promoted and us finishing 18th was just 2.62 million

I dont think you could call that much spending at a club like Sunderland who get 30,000+ at a game extrvagant.

My point is that it is a total myth that he got them promoted spending a fortune.  He attracted better quality players for low fees because he is a name, while we struggled to get in anyone of note which is apparently down to Geography.I do hope there is some sort of large protest if we do go down on Monday.

''The difference between him getting them promoted and us finishing 18th was just 2.62 million''...

..and the fact that they had a far better squad than us in the first place. They were quite clearly under performing when he came in.

2 million on Anthony Stokes... You do have to giggle at that one.

Thats the thing isn''t it- we spent 4M plugging holes in a squad that was already small and leaky he spent 6+M on players that were overpriced to add to a squad that was already full... and few of his additions managed to make a huge impact (some did do well though)TBH I see him as a similar man to Roeder and he will have an instant impact- but it will not last, I''d put money on it.For those crying "sour grapes" lets not underestimate the fact that money and success going into ITFC would potentially help our geography look better to investers and actually help us become the bigger club that we believe we are/should be.

I think a lot of us, myself included, are hoping and praying he gets it badly wrong at Ippoo, and wastes vanloads of Evan''s dosh to boot. Those scummer fans would be insufferably smug if the "Iranian President" helped them to promotion, while we were still floundering around in the lower leagues.

Overpriced???

If our team currently contained those players (as they were three years ago) and we had obtained them at the prices stated, would we be upset?  Would we be where we are now?  Im not convinced we would.

My main point is he did NOT contrary to the cr*p spouted on here spend that much getting them up in comparison to us in the same season.  The larger point is that we have consistently gone for little managers who cant attract those sort of players for those sort of fees and we are on the verge of oblivion due to that.[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Thats the thing isn''t it- we spent 4M plugging holes in a squad that was already small and leaky he spent 6+M on players that were overpriced to add to a squad that was already full... and few of his additions managed to make a huge impact (some did do well though)TBH I see him as a similar man to Roeder and he will have an instant impact- but it will not last, I''d put money on it.For those crying "sour grapes" lets not underestimate the fact that money and success going into ITFC would potentially help our geography look better to investers and actually help us become the bigger club that we believe we are/should be.[/quote]

[quote]I think a lot of us, myself included, are hoping and praying he gets it badly wrong at Ippoo, and wastes vanloads of Evan''s dosh to boot. Those scummer fans would be insufferably smug if the "Iranian President" helped them to promotion, while we were still floundering around in the lower leagues.[/quote]I wont deny that that would make me chuckle a bit but I genuinely believe Keane will not be the saviour- even after thinking long and hard and coming up with the possible bright side of any success they might find.That said- he will probably have enough short term impact to take them up next year... that''s when I think the problems will start for them.

[quote user="Pastry"]Overpriced???

If our team currently contained those players (as they were three years ago) and we had obtained them at the prices stated, would we be upset?  Would we be where we are now?  Im not convinced we would.

My main point is he did NOT contrary to the cr*p spouted on here spend that much getting them up in comparison to us in the same season.  The larger point is that we have consistently gone for little managers who cant attract those sort of players for those sort of fees and we are on the verge of oblivion due to that.[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Thats the thing isn''t it- we spent 4M plugging holes in a squad that was already small and leaky he spent 6+M on players that were overpriced to add to a squad that was already full... and few of his additions managed to make a huge impact (some did do well though)TBH I see him as a similar man to Roeder and he will have an instant impact- but it will not last, I''d put money on it.For those crying "sour grapes" lets not underestimate the fact that money and success going into ITFC would potentially help our geography look better to investers and actually help us become the bigger club that we believe we are/should be.[/quote][/quote]Yep- remember what many of those players were rated at at the time- he was able to get some because of who he was and some by paying far more than anyone else would cs his budgets allowed it... they also allowed for players to be brought in and fail to perform very well without having used up all his budget.

Well considering we sold ashton for 7.5m that 3.5m spent on Earnshaw didn''t seem that bad did it?And the reason he attracted better quality players was because Sunderland with all their money probably paid a far better wages, remembering as well that a lot of those players were at poorer teams or languishing away from the first team squad. So nice try, but it''s an Fail. Better luck next time.

Well I have been looking at the figures of how much he spent after this.

2007/08

Michael ChopraCardiff£ 500000013-07-2007
Kieran RichardsonMan Utd£ 550000016-07-2007
Dickson EtuhuNorwich£ 150000017-07-2007
Paul McShaneWest Brom£ 250000026-07-2007
Craig GordonHearts£ 900000008-08-2007
Andy ColePortsmouthFree24-08-2007
Kenwyne JonesSouthampton£ 600000029-08-2007
Ian HarteLevanteFree29-08-2007
Danny HigginbothamStoke£ 250000029-08-2007
Jean-Yves MvotoParis St-G.£ 30000015-01-2008
Phil BardsleyMan Utd£ 200000022-01-2008
Rade PricaAalborg£ 200000029-01-2008
Andy ReidCharlton£ 400000031-01-2008
Total: £ 40300000

2008/09

Teemu TainioTottenhamSigned01-07-2008
Nick ColganIpswichFree24-07-2008
Pascal ChimbondaTottenhamSigned26-07-2008
El Hadji DioufBolton£ 250000028-07-2008
Steed MalbranqueTottenhamSigned30-07-2008
David HealyFulhamSigned21-08-2008
Anton FerdinandWest Ham£ 800000027-08-2008
George McCartneyWest Ham£ 450000002-09-2008
Total: £ 15000000

Now looking at those figures he has spent at least £55M but thats probably more as some of those are undisclosed. So thats £55M spent and there still in a relegation battle. Also some of those players have just been a total waste of money. I mean there is now way Anton Ferdinand is worth £8 Million. Chopra, Mcshane and Higginbotham all out on loan yet they all cost a hell of a lot of money. While Prica played like two games for them in a year and he cost £2 Million

[quote user="ridgeman"]Whatever is said about Keane lets appreciate one thing he doesn''t accept crap from players and that would elevate us for a start. I don''t think he would get on with Doncaster either.[/quote]

I don''t think Keane would suit our board at all...