Sign in to follow this  
xxxx

Boro and Hull battle for Croft

Premier League strugglers Middlesbrough

and Hull City are to go head-to-head for Norwich City midfielder Lee Croft. The

23-year-old, who is also wanted by Stoke, is set to quit Carrow Road at the end

of the season when his current contract expires.Croft has scored five goals this

season and has been one of the shining lights during a miserable time for Bryan

Gunn''s side. And with Norwich on the brink of relegation from the

Championship, Croft is desperate to leave and try his luck in the Premier

League.

Shame but inevitable really in the circumstances that Crofty will be off.Doubtless we will be spun the ''good piece of business'' angle letting him go for nothing as it will free up a chunk of wage bill. Personally I think the better business would have been giving him a new contract in January with a ''get out'' clause for him to ensure we received some kind of fee for him.

[quote user="Buckethead"]Shame but inevitable really in the circumstances that Crofty will be off.Doubtless we will be spun the ''good piece of business'' angle letting him go for nothing as it will free up a chunk of wage bill. Personally I think the better business would have been giving him a new contract in January with a ''get out'' clause for him to ensure we received some kind of fee for him.[/quote]Err, what? Gunny has already said he wants to keep him, why would Crofty going elsewhere be spun at all? I think you''re criticising for the sake of criticising.

agree with the previous poster! how any one can say Croft is agood player when all he does is run up and down the touch line is beyond me! he must be the nly winger i have ever seen who cant actually cross a ball!

jas :)

Regardless of how good we think he is, he is a saleable asset and it is a shame to see him leave for nothing when we could have hoped to at least recoup the money we paid for him.

I understand that the club have been doing all they can to get him to stay but he/his agent are set on a move.

Truth is he wants 9k a week on a 3 yr deal. Thats 1.4 million!!!!!!!!   no way is he worth anything even close to that.

Well we paid 700k or so for him so would think we could have sold him for at least £500k if he had a contract.  Not sure why we did not agree to 9k a week and then sell him, as long as the signing on fee was not too large we would still make money on the deal.

[quote user="jim blair"]Truth is he wants 9k a week on a 3 yr deal. Thats 1.4 million!!!!!!!!   no way is he worth anything even close to that.[/quote]

He is if Boro, Hull or Stoke are prepared to pay it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

agree with the previous poster! how any one can say Croft is agood player when all he does is run up and down the touch line is beyond me! he must be the nly winger i have ever seen who cant actually cross a ball!

[/quote]

Mark Rivers?

There is no way Crofty will cut it in the Prem. I admire his attitude and his determination but lets all be honest he''s a bit of a headless chicken and he cant cross. Free up some wages for the Summer.

Croft is a typical Nigel Worthington player... can''t fault the work rate (know what i mean) - but how many chances has all his hard work actually created this season?Good player, not effective enough for us, and definately not a premiership player.

[/quote]If Lee Croft could cross the ball he''d be an exceptional player, i like to think of him as a championship version of aaron lennon he can''t cross for sh*t either.

Hope he doesn''t leave but can''t blame him if he does, he''s a better player than a lot of people get him credit for. But people see that his crossing is inconsistent and all of a sudden they can''t see all the good parts to his game and you get the "headless chicken" type comments.

But there you go... Chris Brown wasn''t good enough for a lot of our fans but Preston seemed to think he was ok and look at where they are comapred to us.

Good luck to him I say, he gets a fair bit of stick on here at times but there''s no way anyone can question his effort.

I like Croft in the sense that he works hard and seems to really care but when it comes to the quality of the final ball I think it is pretty obviously he comes up short every time pretty much so it wouldn''t be a catastrophe.

A lot of other players would fail to get to the point of crossing the ball in, fail to beat their marker.  He''s a handy player to have.  It would be a shame to lose him.

He is a good option to have at the club - his final ball is too often poor but he does stretch the game and add some pace.   I dont think he warrants an autonmatic starting spot due to his lack of quality but it says more about the state of our league position that his is first choice than whether he is a champs squad player.

Will be missed and will cost to replace - which is why it will be sad to see him go.

I too would be sad to see him go. The idea that any Premiership team thinks he would be an asset is beyond me, though I suppose neither Hull nor Boro will be in the Prem next season.

[/quote]

Hooray, someone else has spotted it!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Hooray, someone else has spotted it!

[/quote]

You are both wrong;  stats (and they never lie do they??) for the season show he has delivered more crosses this season than any other champs player.

Mind you - they dont judge the quality of them do they - i dread to think what his success rate is;  the assists per cross ratio would be an embarrassment.

Of course we have all spotted it, read my match reports - I dont rate Croft, and agree with Lim - I cant see what any prem club would want with him! - but at this level he is a perfect squad player.  And several others rate him for his committment above quality.

[quote user="The Butler"]Don''t panic it would mean crossing the Humber and we all know he is not able to cross anything!![/quote]

ba-doom TISH!

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]

Premier League strugglers Middlesbrough

and Hull City are to go head-to-head for Norwich City midfielder Lee Croft. The

23-year-old, who is also wanted by Stoke, is set to quit Carrow Road at the end

of the season when his current contract expires.Croft has scored five goals this

season and has been one of the shining lights during a miserable time for Bryan

Gunn''s side. And with Norwich on the brink of relegation from the

Championship, Croft is desperate to leave and try his luck in the Premier

League.

[/quote]Is it me, or has Croft been 23 for years.

Doesn''t surprise me. If we stay up, he may consider staying - if we get relegated, who can really blame him?

[quote user="The Butler"]Don''t panic it would mean crossing the Humber and we all know he is not able to cross anything!![/quote]

With the accuracy of his final ball in.....He''ll probably turn up at Blundell Park....

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

If Lee Croft could cross the ball he''d be an exceptional player, i like to think of him as a championship version of aaron lennon he can''t cross for sh*t either.
[/quote]

Lennon is way ahead of Croft.

Hull, ''Boro and Stoke are welcome to Croft.