Sign in to follow this  
@NYCANARIES

Gartside wants to kill football, Norwich included?

The idea of a two tier Premiership with no relegation to the Football League has been around for several years and will probably happen within the next 3 to 5 years imo. 

If we''re not among the top 34 clubs in England when it eventually happens, we only have ourselves to blame.  It shouldn''t be beyond us to finish 14th or higher in the Championship. 

I wouldn''t want anything to do with a 2 tier premiership. Completely plastic existance. The sooner the Premier league breaks from the football league the better.

I just don''t see what the problem with having it with relegation still included! Why should a team get away with sitting bottom of the league every year, it''s non sensical! MLS is a completely different entity if anyone tries to mention that, and eventually, when their soccer expands, they will have to change their system to one more like ours. There i can see why they don''t do relegation as the MLS owns all the teams anyway and there isn''t as many teams hoping to get in the top league yet, so for now their system works. Imagine if they went on league positions next year and we finished 10th and just got in, but Leeds, fresh from a playoff final this year went up as champions of league 1 next year and were not included! It would absolutely suck as leeds as will many others rightfully overtake the likes of Bolton and Wigan more often than not and with their fan base, gartsides idea borders on criminal. Just because Bolton in the long run can''t balance their books and keep a big club running how it is. I''d love to see what he''d say if relegation was included in the proposal!

If it did ever happen the fact that there would be no promotion from the league is totally unacceptable. What about the likes of Leeds, Southampton, Charlton, Forest, Us etc who currently lie outside the top 36 but might normally be classed within the top 36?Also what about smaller clubs with ambition like Peterborough etc?It would be totally unfair.Basing it on attendance might be fairer but even then, it would be down to timing. Attendance tends to drop when teams are less successful and does not always indicate potential. Just as we see calls for a season ticket boycott and others that have stopped going as "a protest," the same has happened at other clubs going through difficult periods but when the club recovers and they usually do, the attendance returns. Some fans decide that they don''t want to attend when a team is struggling but are part of a teams potential when better times come.So either way - basing it on position or attendance seems arbitrary and unfair.

This is a terrible idea and simply wont work.  Basically all that will happen, is that the Championship is going to be given a new name.  Given a few years, the financial gulf between the Premiership 1 and 2 will be the same as is currently seen between the Championship and the Premiership.  I am all for expanding the Premier League, however I would make a “Premier League North” and then a “Premier League South”.  That way one league won’t be superior to the other, resulting in higher TV revenue for teams in one as opposed to the other.  We could select the top 18 “Southern” teams and then the top 18 “Northern” teams.

There should certainly be relegation between the Football League and the new Premier Leagues.  Possibly 2 teams up and two down.  However League One and Two would need to be redesigned to a Football League North and South.

I think a salary cap of sorts should be instituted in the new leagues, otherwise nothing will change.  Maybe a certain percentage of clubs earnings can be used for wages/transfer fees.  This would still cause a slight imbalance between the rich and poor clubs, however it would be considerably closer than is seen at the moment.  It would also ensure teams don’t overstretch themselves putting themselves in financial jeopardy.

We would still keep 4 Champions League spots and two Uefa Cup places, 2 Champions League and 1 Uefa Cup place being given to each league.

In regards to Celtic and Rangers joining the new Leagues, I am opposed to the idea.  However if its going to happen from which they are going to benefit massively due to the increased exposure, TV revenue etc they have to pay.  They can pay 100 million each, with the money to be divided out amongst the other 34 teams in the league.  The money should be given out disproportionately with more going to the smaller teams than the larger ones.  This will help to boost the smaller teams and provide a far more competitive league.

This is just my two pence worth, I would be interested to hear what you all think.