Sign in to follow this  
Joe90

JONSSON STILL RUBBISH

How long are we going to give Matty Jonsson to get up to scratch?

once again, 75mins into the man city game and he''s had ANOTHER shocker. all the talk about him improving, its rubbish.

your views pls. bring bk the little lad.

I wish I could get angry with this view - but I can''t because you are right. He wouldn''t be so knackered after every game if his first touch was good enough NOT to propell him into the defender!Svensson was excellent though - Huckerby was not good, but did his best.

I think Jonson did a good game defensively, but he don´t get the right balls to work with, offensively. But, generally, I would say he is underperforming compared to how we are used to se him representing Sweden.

Rubbish - no

Not an excellent game - yes.

I can''t believe that after getting a great away point someone can still find something so negative to talk about.

Sorry but feel I must agree with the original poster.  Man City are a poor side and I feel that they were there for the three points but we had too many players off the pace.  Yes in the normal scheme of things an away point is an excellent result but we are not sitting pretty at the minute and single points will not keep us up.  For too long now we keep hearing that it will come soon.  Well maybe soon will be just  too late for us. Yesterday was a massive game for us (as they all are) and Sat is even bigger.  We will just wait and see.  I just hope it is not another draw as the frustration that they are bringing makes you feel as if we have been beaten.  They are just getting so monotonous and I know I am opening myself up for the (would you rather get beat) brigade and the answer to that is of course not but I would rather WIN.

Johnsson off the pace

Huckerby off the pace

Green - terrible error

Holt - awful pass just before half time that would have put forward (cant remember who) through on goal

I repeat Man City are a poor side and even though we were away I felt a better side would have wiped them but there again a better side than Man City would have overpowered us.

He was disappointing in terms of his cost and reputation, seemed to be trying without success and was often behind Edworthy when we were attacking or defending which is fairly baffling. 

I might of course be wrong here but I think we''ll find out later on that Hucks was carrying a knee injury after the tackle on him fairly early on in the first half.  After treatment it was obviously decided that he wanted to carry on and could do so, but it was clear that there was blood on his kneecap and, from then on, he seemed tentative about taking the full back on and about getting involved in anything that might have resulted in making it worse.  (I hope for his sake that he doesn''t get those nasty fluid sacs around his kneecap like I did recently.  If he does he will not be playing on Saturday, I fear).

I know its not good to be critical towards individual players - but we have to admit the facts that at this level (yes the best league in the world) teams cannot afford to carry passengers for the ride. I cannot fault Jonsons effort - but he really just looks out of it on the right side - many occasions Svensson was having to come over to the right to win the ball. Jonson didnt win a single ball in the air or on the ground, when he did get possession he gave the ball away with a poor cross or pass. Yes tonight their were some other less than star performances - but if certain players under perform week in week out - then I am sorry but we wont survive if we continue to play them and hope they might come good some sunny day. The right wing wing has been a problem for us for several seasons - the great dane Steeno has never been replaced - he was clearly one of the best crossers our club has seen. Sorry there is no room for sentiment in this league - Jonson out and try little mcveigh again.

Spot on Navman- an away point would normally be OK but we know we could have won that game (and others before). With others starting to win and Palace on a roll we do need those extra points soon.

I too was screaming in first half injury time- Holt had a generally good game (although he too was waytoo deep in the first half) but that pass was just far too close to James and I think it was Leon who would have been through on goal to put us in level at half time.

I don''t want to incur the wrath of Stevenage Fan, but we were actually a bit lucky to get that point (despite all the positives) as many refs would have given one or both of those pen appeals and that shot off the inside off the post just made me shudder with relief.....................

However we are off the bottom and if we win on Sat (which has to be a must-win game) we could get some momentum going and the next few games are all winnable.

Navman the Holt pass you mention was to McKenzie and Jonsson was in loads of space on the right with the whole goal to shoot at.   Had he gone for Jonsson and Jonsson scored would this thread have a slightly different?  I was screaming for Holt to pass for Jonsson.

I am thinking of changing camps from the "realists" to the "star gazers"

On that basis it is easy to see why Jonsson is potentially the most expensive player in our history. His pace is awesome; his tackling fearsome; his passing immaculate; his workrate stupendous; his stamina outstanding and his eye for goal inspiring

Quite east to see why he took home over £70k net last month (fact)

The trouble is if we drop everyone after a poor game (and many commentators had Jonson as citys best players against Newcastle) Ranieri would be known as a manager who stuck with the same side compared to this city sides tinkering! Have we actually started with the same 11 for 2 consecutive games?

One day its Eddie, , Holt has been targetted, so have Francis, Bentley, Helveg, Sven, Doc, Leon, McVeigh, Safri Jonson and Drury now Greeno, fleming and Hux finally succumb to the criticism of playing poorly. Well what a surprise - players are not machines and do have off games which is usually compounded but a constantly changing team. Jonson highlighted this particularly well last night and now I expect him to get the same torrent of abuse from the moronic Barclay fans who heckled Helveg against Everton before he even touched the ball!

So let me think that leaves us with a team of, well I started listing the players but ITS THE RESERVE SIDE!

At the end of the day we have a side that on the whole is outclassed by 90% of prem sides, led by a novice premier manager and a board that has a long term vision for the club.

Last night we saw a game of two poor sides where neither played well enough to deserve a win. Both clubs have debts but one stands on the precipice of a Leeds type disaster having sold its soul to the just one more player will make us excellent approach (and Citeh HAVE a genuine 20 goal a season striker)and the other has a longer term view. At the end of the game both sides could have said well we should have won - but neither did.

However with the exception of the Arsenal and Liverpool games my club has performed WELL ABOVE the sum of its individual players and COULD have taken three points from the other 9 games.

The club is finding its way in a difficult league on limited resources and doing themselves proud. A little bit of luck, some stability of approach on the pitch (4-4-2 to 4-1-2-1-2 to 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 doesnt help) some improved defending, better finishing and more class in midfield may mean we escape relegation.

We played badly last night make no mistake - but we still grab a valuable away point - and that is the sign of a good team.

Rant over

OTBC

Well I must have seen a different game to the rest of you (Stevenage fan excepted, maybe).  While I wouldn''t say that ANY of our players had a great game last night, Jonson was in no way the worst.  I have been liking what I''ve been seeing of Jonson lately, and when you consider that he is an attacking player, our current formation restricts him to defensive duties to which he is not suited.

If changes were to be made judging by last night''s performance, then most of the 11 would be dropped!  Nice to see Brennan, but on that performance I don''t think we''ll see him again in a hurry.  As for McKenzie, he was truly, truly awful.  Most of the game we looked like a 1st Division side.  A good point, all things considered.

I thought Jonsson was rubbish and has had more than enough time to prove himself . Why oh why did Worthy not buy Kevin Cooper - He is twice the player that Jonsson is and can actually beat players and make goals , something which Jonnson is seemingly incapable of . We are missing the Cooper factor from last year , no doubt about that .

Berks Canary is on the spot.  We all knew what Coops was capable of and in truth we have not really replaced him.  It does make you wonder how the transfer market works, doesn''t it?

I''ve yet to see him justify his place in the team. how long do his advocates cling to excuses for him and the others we have acquired since we were promoted. Only Charlton has been a valuable acquisition which is worrying when supporters are clamouring to spend more!If Drury comes back , we switch Huckerby to the right and push Brennan into midfield - at the expense of Jonson - I think that''s the best XI from the squad we have (including Holt, Edworthy and Fleming).

Back to the author...!

I still can''t believe Jonsson is getting good remarks from some people. We can''t live on his PAST form with sweden or the like, we have to be real and look at the performances that he''s put in. Correct me if I''m wrong but he''s started 7 or 8 games out of the 13 this season and I just think that he''s been given long enough for the time being. Everything broke down last night around Jonsson. Once the ball was played out to the right, he either wasted a ball pumped into the box with no effect from just inside the opponents half or, more often thatn not, gave the ball away in an important area.

However, he must be doing something right in trianing for Worthy to keep picking him. Please!!.... someone must have the answer?

I also agree that Leon didn''t have a great game last night, I thought he was very average. A confessed Leon fan myself, I am too.

With the long ball system that we seem to be playing for ther vast majority of matches recently, we surely would have been better keeping Iwan - at least he held the ball up. We have to start playing it around the park on the floor... this is where we create the most chances - NOT in the air!

oh PLEASE!!!!!!Iwan???? Get outta town.He could barely jump in the last two seasons, and if you''re idea of holding the ball up means fouling your opponent, then yes, I guess he could have been some use.No - Iwan had his day, and Svensson can do all Iwan can and more. But yes - we need a goalscorer to get that round white thing in the goal.

I agree that Jonsson has been mostly crap this year, with a few bright moments here and there. However, I do think he''s improved, apart from last night when he was abysmal and did virtually nothing positive.

If you watch him when the ball''s in the air though, he''s got an excellent jump and he wins most of what''s put his way. Makes me think that he could be worth trying up front in place of Svensson, who I really can''t see scoring at all. Ok, Matty helped make the goal last night by generally being in the way, but he didn''t hold the ball up well and didn''t win many headers at all. In fact he gave the ball away on numerous occasions in great positions by committing fouls.

Let''s see Jonsson up there with Mackenzie and a welcome return to little Paul McVeigh, who''s done nothing to be dropped.

Joe90 - do you have a split personality?

You quite rightly point out that the we need to get the ball on the ground but then want to kick out a proven international who by his own admission has taken time to come to terms with our game; I''ll say it again it took Thierry Henry 6+ months to get up to speed with the prem - on that basis NCFC would have accepted a failed ''investment'' & would have sent him packing by now!

Your arguments about dropping Jonson are sound but he is hardly alone in the underperforming stakes last night either so you comments would leave us with a youth team on saturday.

Then you compound your errors by suggesting we should have kept Iwan - shame on you! ;-)

OTBC

I agree with Zipper.  I just can''t fathom why so many posters are against Jonsson, when no one wearing Green was any better last night.  They all had below average games yet the shouts for Jonsson out are all over the place.

I thought Leon was the worst player on the pitch last night, but would still give him another start to see if it was just an off day.   If Drury is better, then him for Brennan (who didn''t play badly) would be my only change.   I would let Holt know this was his last chance though.  I think the only reason Safri hasn''t been brought back in for another try is because he is fasting.  I would have liked to see Mullers given a spell for one of the cente pair too.

I am sure Jonsson, Leon and Holt all know they have Helveg, McVeigh, Mullers, Bentley and Safri waiting in the wings and a repeat of last nights display could affect anyone of their places, but with so many underpar performances you can''t just change the whole team.

So Navman Man City are crap eh? Still good enough to beat Chelsea two weeks ago!!! What do you expect away from home with the squad we have? Im not one of these "lets enjoy the premier league for one season" brigade but credit where its due it was a good point!

I agree with the above poster. Man City beat Chelsea. They have an attacking force of Anelka, Fowler and Wright-Philips. They are hardly a terrible team. I could understand your point if you were talking about Bristol Rovers (who we scraped past) or perhaps West Brom and Palace (who we obviously drew with)...but Man City? Hardly that bad....

OK so they beat Chelsea with a penalty but dont know if you actually watched the SKY highlights.  Chelsea only carved up about 30 chances and it was just one of those days.  What I meant was that Man City hardly set the world alight do they and if I had a list of teams at the beginning of the season of teams we could more than likely beat then they would be on it.  I mean Southampton nearly beat Arsenal last weekend.  Does that make Southampton any good - no.

Every dog has his day, and by that I mean Southampton, and not Jonsson.

Man City are a good side, no doubt about that, just look at the side, one of england''s most exciting young players in Sean Wright-Phillips, Englands current first choice goalkeeper (like it or not) and Anelka who has a combined transfer fee of over £30 million. Hardly £300,000 from Peterborough was he??

They had an off day, and it was a good point. Time to move on.

We need to pull our finger out for Saturday though, because Blackburn are no mugs either, and I agree with other posts on here, we had a better chance of beating Portsmouth or Everton than Blackburn.