Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Is Keane appointment really a kick in the teeth?

Yes, I will admit that Keane did a great job at Sunderland. But it''s only one club and it did it with a hell of a lot of money.

At Ipswich he won''t find it so easy. There won''t be as much money and it won''t be easy to attract big name players down there. I just don''t think it will be as easy for Keane as some people think.

Also I think it needs to be remembered was back before Sunderland appointing him, he was just a player with a good career. He had no Management experience.

Therefore he was in the same boat as the likes of Grant and Gunn. I personally still think Gunn is doing a decent job whatever happens. And we are not to know how good of a manager he could be. Given time and money.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Yes, I will admit that Keane did a great job at Sunderland. But it''s only one club and it did it with a hell of a lot of money.

At Ipswich he won''t find it so easy. There won''t be as much money and it won''t be easy to attract big name players down there. I just don''t think it will be as easy for Keane as some people think.

Also I think it needs to be remembered was back before Sunderland appointing him, he was just a player with a good career. He had no Management experience.

Therefore he was in the same boat as the likes of Grant and Gunn. I personally still think Gunn is doing a decent job whatever happens. And we are not to know how good of a manager he could be. Given time and money.[/quote]Agree entirely.

I would have been terrified that Ipswich could gain promotion very soon had Fergie, Benitez, Hiddink, Wenger, O'' Neil, Bruce, Moyes or McCarthy been appointed - all impossibilities, of course. But with Keane and most other likely appointments at Ipswich there''s no telling if we can fear the worst or not!

Yes of course its a kick in the teeth.

Keane is a manager who:

1) Has played at every level of football and is highly decorated. Along with this comes an extensive list of contacts "friends" and other associates who he can lean on for assistance

2) Has already proven he can get a team promoted from the championship to the premiership on a pretty decent budget.  (Refer to point 1 and 2 with the signature of Dwight Yorke

3) He is a natural born winner with a Midas Touch. He WILL get the binmen back to the premiership

4) He has played for arguably two of the best managers ever to grace English football. Sir Alex and Brian Clough. Like anyone he will have picked up tips and tricks from his former mentors.

Face it, stop trying to lie to yourselves and pretend that this is not a hammer blow when we least needed it.

Again due respect to Mr Gunn but its like comparing s Shire Horse to a National winner.

Its a no contest, we have no ambition and for the first time EVER i honestly have no pride in being a Norwich fan :(

.... Why''s everyone so obsessed by saying "Keane worked with Fergie, they have a good relationship" etc etc.

I''d say Gunny has a much better relationship with Sir Alex than Keane does.

and for the 3rd time in 2 days again i ask... why are you so worried about what Ipswich are doing when we have one of the biggest games in the history of Norwich City coming up??

If your really that interested in Ipswich F**K off down there and support them, my only priority is us winning on Monday, i couldn''t care less who Ipswich appoint and what they do next season.

15 threads about Keane and Ipswich in the last 24 hrs, don''t we have any more games or a future to talk about??

Exactly CA, let''s focus on cheering the lads to a win on Monday instead of worrying about what''s beyond our control across the boarder

sorry to be a nay sayer or doomy.

But I have accepted the fact that we are going to lose both games and go down.

Sorry but it means that come the game and performance i will not be disapointed and can say " Yup, knew that was gonna happen" rather than " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Lame yes, but im a realist.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

Keane is a manager who:

1) Has played at every level of football and is highly decorated. Along with this comes an extensive list of contacts "friends" and other associates who he can lean on for assistance

2) Has already proven he can get a team promoted from the championship to the premiership on a pretty decent budget.  (Refer to point 1 and 2 with the signature of Dwight Yorke

3) He is a natural born winner with a Midas Touch. He WILL get the binmen back to the premiership

4) He has played for arguably two of the best managers ever to grace English football. Sir Alex and Brian Clough. Like anyone he will have picked up tips and tricks from his former mentors.

[/quote]

I agree with most of this. The kick in the teeth is not the actual appointment Keane (which could go very wrong) but the fact that we could never convince someone of his stature in the game to come and manage us. Well were are only lil old Naarichs o shouldn’t have unrealistic ambitions.

We are ''toothless'' in many aspects of NCFC....I suppose we could probably try to ''gum'' other teams to death....

"Gunny laughs off our relegation worries"......

[quote]I agree with most of this. The kick in the teeth is not the actual

appointment Keane (which could go very wrong) but the fact that we

could never convince someone of his stature in the game to come and

manage us. Well were are only lil old Naarichs o shouldn’t have

unrealistic ambitions.[/quote]Is it a good time to mention that Roeder had a better Premiership record with Newcastle than Keane had with Sunderland ?  All he can do is shop, and if it goes badly, which it will when he won''t get enough cash, he goes mental.  I''m quite looking forward to it all going down the pan.

Ok.  Lets step back a second.

Your 16-17 born local and wanting to go for trials with a club. You perform well at Norwich and Ipswich and are offered a contract by both clubs. Both clubs have Championship stature. The kid and his family have no local allegience. Who are you going to sign for ? Manchester United Legend Roy Keane ? Or......Brian Gunn

Or

You are a young Brazilian (LOL) superstar and will sign for a small fee of £100k. 2 clubs bid for you Norwich City or Ipswich town. Never heard of them... who are they ? Brian Gunn ??? WOW Roy Keane, Manchester United Legend, Worldwide name. Everyone who has heard of Manchester United has heard of Roy Keane.

He has more stature in football than our ENTIRE club.

WHY oh WHY oh WHY.. does our board not have the ambition to try to get us a man like Roy Keane. You could argue that they tried and failed with Roeder but still. We have Gunn while the Binmen land World Reknowned Keane.

[quote user="Lambo"]

.... Why''s everyone so obsessed by saying "Keane worked with Fergie, they have a good relationship" etc etc.

and for the 3rd time in 2 days again i ask... why are you so worried about what Ipswich are doing when we have one of the biggest games in the history of Norwich City coming up??

If your really that interested in Ipswich F**K off down there and support them, my only priority is us winning on Monday, i couldn''t care less who Ipswich appoint and what they do next season.

[/quote]

Bravo!  I am with you 100%!!!

Your 16-17 born local and wanting to go for trials with a club. You perform well at Norwich and Ipswich and are offered a contract by both clubs. Both clubs have Championship stature. The kid and his family have no local allegience. Who are you going to sign for ? Manchester United Legend Roy Keane ? Or......Brian Gunn

Or

You are a young Brazilian (LOL) superstar and will sign for a small fee of £100k. 2 clubs bid for you Norwich City or Ipswich town. Never heard of them... who are they ? Brian Gunn ??? WOW Roy Keane, Manchester United Legend, Worldwide name. Everyone who has heard of Manchester United has heard of Roy Keane.

WHY oh WHY oh WHY.. does our board not have the ambition to try to get us a man like Roy Keane. You could argue that they tried and failed with Roeder but still. We have Gunn while the Binmen land World Reknowned Keane.

[/quote]

Nexus you sound very realistic you should come down Pr and watch the revolution take shape, be quick though ST''s are selling well, 13,000 sold already and now the early bird scheme has been extended, should have around 17,000 st holders when the season starts!!

[quote user="Lambo"]Exactly CA, let''s focus on cheering the lads to a win on Monday instead of worrying about what''s beyond our control across the boarder[/quote]

Yes lots concentrate on the Reading game. All these Ipswich/Keane threads are amusing the scummers down the road but they''re not helping us get into a postive mood for the weekend games and more importantly our game on Monday.

Hee hee Billasablue - please keep coming on here cos every time you post you give me a good laugh. 13,000 season tickets sold eh? Wow whoopdy doo. And you may have 17,000 by the time next season starts? Amazing!! We''re rubbish and we''ve sold 18,000 BEFORE THIS SEASON HAS ENDED!! It''s called passion and supporting your team - come up to Carrow Road if you want a lesson in how it''s done. (If you can get a ticket that is).

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="Lambo"]

[/quote]

Bravo!  I am with you 100%!!!

[/quote]  Ask Bryan Robson if playing under Fergie made him a great manager. Keane is a BIG named PLAYER. Sorry   used to be. Now he is a manager. A manager who blew £83m on average players at his last club.

Or

Yep but he can''t cook so I''ve heard.

[/quote]

Or

[/quote]

Yep but he can''t cook, so I''ve heard

Keane is a manager who:

Face it, stop trying to lie to yourselves and pretend that this is not a hammer blow when we least needed it.

Again due respect to Mr Gunn but its like comparing s Shire Horse to a National winner.

Its a no contest, we have no ambition and for the first time EVER i honestly have no pride in being a Norwich fan :(

[/quote]

Mr Keane has many things to his credit but, unfortunately, his temperament sometimes works against him.  That is why he is currently getting the publicity - Fleet Street is fairly confident that, sooner or later, there will be some "incidents" (and if, of course, they can help with those, they will)[;)]

Keane is a manager who:

[/quote]

Agree entirely.

Now you''ve got two options -

1/ You can try and persuade those who are pretending it''s not terrible news for us, and who still think we''re better off with Gunn than Keane, and better off with Smith than Evans

or

2/ You could run full pelt into a brick wall repeatedly until you knock yourself cold.

The second one is a much easier option I believe.

You can fool some of the fans all of the time - Ask Mr Doncaster.

ORRR.. you could stop worrying about Ipswich and how they do and support the team you claim to, thought i''d throw that option out there too.

Thats not me defending Delia in any way, i firmly think we need new leadership at the top of the club, but constantly worrying about Ipswich gaining promotion when we could get religated is the perfect example of having your priorities all wrong.

Lets get behind the team and try to stay up instead of looking longingly at Portaloo road.

[quote user="billabasblue"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

Or

[/quote]

Nexus you sound very realistic you should come down Pr and watch the revolution take shape, be quick though ST''s are selling well, 13,000 sold already and now the early bird scheme has been extended, should have around 17,000 st holders when the season starts!!

[/quote]

Wow! 13000! that means you''re only 5,000 behind us then, you Tw@t

Regards from NCFC - In Suffolk!

[quote user="Lambo"]

ORRR.. you could stop worrying about Ipswich and how they do and support the team you claim to, thought i''d throw that option out there too.

Thats not me defending Delia in any way, i firmly think we need new leadership at the top of the club, but constantly worrying about Ipswich gaining promotion when we could get religated is the perfect example of having your priorities all wrong.

Lets get behind the team and try to stay up instead of looking longingly at Portaloo road.

[/quote]

Who''s worrying about Ipscum? It''s called stating the facts, and burying your head in the sand ain''t going to change what''s happening. I will be shouting my head off for the team on Monday night, and hoping for a win. And if we lose, instead of the traditional lap round the pitch by players and officials after the game,I would like to see the NCFC Board collectively disembowel themselves in the centre circle by way of apology to the fans.It''s really the least they could do....

Judging by the amount of posts about them and Keane i''d say half the board are, especially as everyone is bleating on about how they''re getting promoted etc. It seems to be the biggest topic of conversation here when IMO our far bigger concern is monday.

Anyone would think Keane had a managerial record similar to Sir Alex. Rather than the reality of one promotion.

There seems to be a lot of love for Keane on this message board. While disrespect for Gunn. I still say Keane is unproven and Ipswich could go either way.

Sorry but all the people who seem to think that Ipswich are destined for greatness purely because they appointed Roy Keane as manager are idiots! The only reason why there is so much hype surrounding Ipswich Town right now is because Roy Keane is such a high profile, appointing him as manager is not a sure sign of ambition in any way. If Ipswich would have appointed someone like Paul Ince as manager who has done as much as Roy Keane as manager if not more (given he has spent alot less money) then no one would have given this stroy a second glance, but because Roy Keane is a such a high profile it''s assumed that Ipswich are set for greatness, this is not the case as Keane still has alot to do to prove himself as a great manager.

I don''t know what''s worse, the deluded Ipswich fans who think that there club are now world beaters or the the depressed Norwich fans who think Ipswich are now set for greatness and can''t talk about anything else, despite the fact we have a huge game coming up on monday.

GET A GRIP FOR CHRIST SAKE!

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Yes, I will admit that Keane did a great job at Sunderland. But it''s only one club and it did it with a hell of a lot of money. At Ipswich he won''t find it so easy. There won''t be as much money and it won''t be easy to attract big name players down there. I just don''t think it will be as easy for Keane as some people think. Also I think it needs to be remembered was back before Sunderland appointing him, he was just a player with a good career. He had no Management experience. Therefore he was in the same boat as the likes of Grant and Gunn. I personally still think Gunn is doing a decent job whatever happens. And we are not to know how good of a manager he could be. Given time and money.[/quote]

Keane is irrelevant...Ipswich are irrelevant. What is relevant is that NCFC have no ambition, desire or ability to bring such a high profile name to the club.

That''s what is a kick in the teeth.