Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

Players win football matches NOT managers..

I am sick and tired of continually reading posts along the lines of "Gunn has to go"..."we should look elsewhere for a manager..."  "...look at Keane at Ipswich, thats ambition.." etc etc etc.  Its the 11 players on the pitch that win matches, not the bloke who picks them to play.  Why is it always Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea who are fighting it out for the top honours every year??  Is it due to the fact that their individual managers are magicians and have discovered some mystical potion that transforms average players into world beaters, or is it more a case that the clubs are so big, they can attract the worlds top talent.  These players know the history and size of the clubs they are joining, and surely this must make them know they have to perform 100% week in week out, or they''ll be out of the side. The manager doesnt have to do this.

Take our beloved club for instance.  When we finished 3rd from top in the premiership, and played in Europe, this was the pinnacle of years of building the club up.  Buying quality but cheap lower league or local players, and blending these players with our own youth products.  This reached fruition when we did so well in the premiership.  What the club should have done when we lost at Inter Milan, was to have a good look at the squad, bring in 2 or 3 quality players to add to what we already had, and I think this would have cemented Norwich as a top half of the premiership side.  But no, we sold the team off.  Unsuprisingly, this led to relegation.  This practice has continued since, and lo and behold, we''re staring at relegation to league 1 as a result.  You cannot blame the managers for this!!  This is a result of the greedy individuals who have been in charge of our club. 

For where we are right now, I think Gunny is the man for the job.  He always fields the strongest 11 players he has available, he has shown good judgement with his signings, has shown he believes in the youth system by bringing several young players into the side this season, and has pulled a rabbit out of the hat by signing Cody for peanuts.  My only issue is that he sometimes makes late subs, but hey, it''s not like we''ve got Thierry Henry on the bench!  Yes Grant and Roeder made mistakes.  Getting rid of Hucks was a huge mistake,  and both of them lost the fans and players due to their unlikable personalities.  These were mistakes and problems that Gunny would never make.

If we fail this season, it s the board who have failed contiually over 15 odd years, not Bryan Gunn who is simply trying to make a "silk purse from a sow''s ear".  Please keep team Gunn in charge and allow them to build our club up once again from grass roots, as I firmly believe that this is what they''ll do.  Sorry to run on!!  

If the manager is not too important then why don''t Man Utd get rid of Sir Alex as they have great players. The manager plays a vital role and we have a rookie for one,he has not even served an apprenticeship and gets given the reigns of one of our most important seasons ever. He is naive in tactics and his substitutions are a non event,and I don''t believe the players respect him.

I agree that he is on a shoe string budget but that would have been known when taking over, I also can''t believe that the likes of Doncaster have had much to spend aswell!!

Also it is time for this board to step down and let somebody seriously interested in running the club do it!!

"This is a result of the greedy individuals who have been in charge of our club. "Greedy how exactly? Because they don''t have limitless pockets of cash to pour into the club?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"This is a result of the greedy individuals who have been in charge of our club. "

Greedy how exactly? Because they don''t have limitless pockets of cash to pour into the club?
[/quote]

How much of ''their'' cash - (in relation to the supporter''s cash), have those in charge pumped into Tangible Fixed Assets?

And if, where or when, is the reaped rewards and benefits from all these off the pitch ''incomes'' going to come to fruition?

Maybe the CE chipped in for his own curtain rings and ''Girls Aloud'' computer mouse-mat for his office?

Managers:

Pick the team

Motivate

Select tactics

Sign players

Sell players

Choose coaching staff

So yeah, who needs a football manager....

God give me strength.