Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Birmingham V Preston

Just thought I''d say it''s 0-0 at halftime. If it stays like this, Reading will no longer have any chance of achieving automatic promotion, despite playing B''ham last game of the season. Could that help us? Reduce their motivation? Cause Steve Coppell to rest some of his first team players? I do hope so!

Yes. If Birmingham draw they can''t go up auto and if Preston don''t win they are guaranteed play-offs.Plus if the other guy is ot be believed, and us on Sky vs. Charlton depends on this game, there is a fair bit staking on it.

Can''t see a positive side to that result. They''ll be at us on Monday now. Was really confident after Coppell said he''d rest a few players if automatic promotion was off the agenda. Bet he won''t be doing that now. Still, their overall form over the last couple of months has not been good so let''s keep fingers crossed.  

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]Can''t see a positive side to that result. They''ll be at us on Monday now. Was really confident after Coppell said he''d rest a few players if automatic promotion was off the agenda. Bet he won''t be doing that now. Still, their overall form over the last couple of months has not been good so let''s keep fingers crossed.  [/quote]

If they come at us, great.  We have Cody on the break !!   

Preston''s first goal meant the Charlton game has no chance of being on Sky. Their second meant Reading now will be gunning for it on Monday (even though it will probably be Sheff Utd who get the final spot).Double whammy. [:|]

Is there a line of thought that says Reading will be more vulnerable if they have something to play for? E.g. we can get behind their back line more often if they are bothering to attack, or their game will be less fluid if they are twitchy about the result.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]Can''t see a positive side to that result. They''ll be at us on Monday now. Was really confident after Coppell said he''d rest a few players if automatic promotion was off the agenda. Bet he won''t be doing that now. Still, their overall form over the last couple of months has not been good so let''s keep fingers crossed.  [/quote]

If they come at us, great.  We have Cody on the break !!   

[/quote]Thank you. That''s what I was trying to get at, but you put it far better than I did. Also, they may underestimate us.

[quote user="Chip20"]Is there a line of thought that says Reading will be more vulnerable if they have something to play for? E.g. we can get behind their back line more often if they are bothering to attack, or their game will be less fluid if they are twitchy about the result.
[/quote]

Exactly !!  It could work to our advantage.   

[quote user="Chip20"]Is there a line of thought that says Reading will be more vulnerable if they have something to play for? E.g. we can get behind their back line more often if they are bothering to attack, or their game will be less fluid if they are twitchy about the result.[/quote]But exactly the same could be said about them getting in behind us...

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Perhaps the best thing about the Reading game is that we haven''t lost at home to any of the top six sides.

Maybe we''ll have to settle for the draw though ?

God, who needs all this.......?

[/quote]

A draw isn''t good for us and no good whatsoever for Reading. I expect both teams to go for it from the off.

[quote user="book end"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Perhaps the best thing about the Reading game is that we haven''t lost at home to any of the top six sides.

Maybe we''ll have to settle for the draw though ?

God, who needs all this.......?

[/quote]

A draw isn''t good for us and no good whatsoever for Reading. I expect both teams to go for it from the off.

[/quote]A draw for us is still a valuable point. If we got a point and beat Charlton. A draw would mean that Barnsley have to win, a loss would mean Barnsley just need to draw.

Reading have the play off spot. The most that Preston could do if they win their final game and Reading lose their last two would be to go level with Reading on 74 points.

Now look at the goal difference. Reading +31, Preston +11. Reading could afford to lose both their last games 0-6, and Preston could with their final match 6-0, and Reading still have the play off spot.

So, in that sense, Reading have nothing left to play for. Anything less than a 15-0 defeat will leave them safe on the last day, nad we don''t often beat top teams 15-0. I wish I could believe that Reading being safe will help us.

But Reading, if they beat us, would then need to beat Birmingham in their last game at home to get automatic promotion. They have the superior goal average to Birmingham and in my opinion are the better side.

Reading getting 2nd is also dependant on Sheffield United losing at a hopeless Palace side with nothing to play for. They''re far too good to go and lose that game, and Coppell, being the realist he is, will know that.

I doubt the Preston game has changed anything, except which games are televised.

I cant believe you are all trying to put a positive spin on this result. It was the worst thing you could have got. Now Reading really do have something to play for tomorrow and Coppell will not be resting his big guns knowing that the can beat Birmingham and go up last game of the season if Warnock does a job on his old team. Being positive is one thing, Norwich could well win, but there is no way Reading are just gonna roll over now. Lita to score the winner anyone?

[quote user="EarnieTHEred"]I cant believe you are all trying to put a positive spin on this result. It was the worst thing you could have got. Now Reading really do have something to play for tomorrow and Coppell will not be resting his big guns knowing that the can beat Birmingham and go up last game of the season if Warnock does a job on his old team. Being positive is one thing, Norwich could well win, but there is no way Reading are just gonna roll over now. Lita to score the winner anyone?[/quote]

Lita is out for the rest of the season.  So is Hunt.  Doyle has only just started "light training" after injury so it seems unlikely he will get a full game, if at all.

Coppell said on Friday that he would likely go with the team that beat Derby although the Ipswich lad on loan to them is not likely to retain his place.