Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

Criticism

Its interesting to read some of the criticism of players on this board.  Sometimes deserved sometimes not.  One player on monday night who got no end of criticism from City fans was Danny Mills.  When he was here he used to get slated as the worst city player ever etc etc One year after leaving we looked to be heading for division 2 and he was heading for England and a 6 million price tag.  I do wish the fans could avoid scapegoating players.  Chris Llewellyn looked like being a great prospect until the boo-boys got on his back when he wasn''t immediately the new Eadie.

It seems to me that the players/management are either the best ever or the worst ever/biggest waste of money etc.  Nigel Worthington is learning and has actually come to many of the same conclusions as fans, so far without sucess (follow the correlation between man in the stands articles and worthington''s team selections except for the Holt selection !!).  Confidence is low generally and we NEED a win.  Many of the performances are good but heads are dropping too easily now.  Palace have shown what can happen when you get just one win.  Lets get behind the team and remain optimistic.

OK Helveg hasn''t been the player he was cracked up to be yet.  However, when he gave the ball away against Everton he was trying to make audacious creative passes which several times nearly came off.  OK maybe that wasn''t what was required but this is part of the adaptation process.  He is probably playing with players of a much lower standard than he is used to and has not yet adjusted his passing to the situation he''s now in.  Safri has also shown great promise without quite delivering yet.  Jonson has too.  Lets just get that first win then hopefully we can do a Portsmouth. Mckenzie isn''t Rooney but is a great striker who 9 months ago was playing in front of crowds of 3000 at the wrong end of division 2, I have confidence he will come improve.

My one gripe about the team at the moment is that a lack of organisation is creeping into the defence.  All of the goals against Everton were caused by shocking lack of organisation at the back.  Malky may be limited but I can''t help feeling that the understanding he and Fleming enjoyed would have prevented schoolboy errors like those.

I do hope this comes with time.  I also wish Nigel could be a little more sensible with his substitutions. He seems to have switched from ultra defensive to ultra attacking. Bringing on Mcveigh against mancity looked v.rash to me.  We were being overrun so Helveg coming on to shore up the midfield and maybe make passes to utilize the pace of henderson/Huckerby on the counter attack seemed a logical move.  Mcveigh''s a great player but is a little lightweight and while I appreciate the will to win I couldn''t help feeling this could have badly backfired.

Anyway heres hoping for 5-0 win on Saturday !!

Walker''s parting shot at Mills when he left was that he couldn''t pass the ball.

Following season the stats showed that the prem player with the most number of incomplete passes was......Danny Mills of Charlton.

I thank you.

PS who did we then go and buy not long after.  Malcolm Mackay - who was equally adept with the ball at his feet!

[quote]Its interesting to read some of the criticism of players on this board. Sometimes deserved sometimes not. One player on monday night who got no end of criticism from City fans was Danny Mills. When...[/quote]

Chris Llywelyn was rubbish

I must admit i was a little disapointed by the game on monday, but was happy that we got the point! After watching the way that palace played on saturday, I was hoping to see us play just as "together" football, if you know what i mean... I thought we looked a little "run over" at times, and not steady!! I''m not saying we played crap, and I''m not an expert, but at times we looked like beginners (is it bad to say that?) but you all know what I mean.

Ok so we don''t have the millions, and mega superstars, but that doesn''t mean we can''t play solid, full bodied football, and we have plenty of times this season... but i think we lacked alot of it at times on monday night!! Perhaps I was just hoping we would romp them... and am just disapointed...

Norwich just got back into Prem, which means we just got tele coverage in australia after too many seasons, would be a great shame too lose it again so quick!!

Blackburn on saturday, it''s a done deal!!!

I''m not sure if I agree about Llewellyn.  He was given chance after chance after chance after CHANCE to prove himself!!  And he never did.  He seems to be getting on pretty well at Wrexham, without setting the world alight