Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

The Man . . .

Yes, good piece, but it usually is, even if as rumoured it''s not always written by the same person. Most of what the Man said does hit home. As a group Norwich fans are really either very laid back or extremely accommodating of if not failure, then failure to seize a chance and progress.

Am I a fan of The Man, I have to admit, yes I am, his column is the one I read first and usually the one I agree with most, the times I don''t agree with his views at least I can see why he thinks as he does.

Is he in the minority though Mystic? No, I don''t think he is, though minority who have a chance to speak out in a newspaper column, yes, he probably is.

Not a minority of people I know thats for sure although judging by last weekdn at Portman Road I am beginning to question whether i truly know what the majority of Norwich fans want for their team!

An excellent column as always!

That''s an interesting one Jim. I wasn''t at Portman Road, but have heard about the Delia incident from those who were. Very strange I have to admit. I too am not sure what the majority of fans want besides the obvious of wanting our team to do well. Where you get the divide/difference of opinion though is how we all qualify our definition of the team doing well and what to do when it''s not.

Have to admit of those fans I know personally don''t think many of them, if any, think this season has been anything but a total disaster, both on and off the field.

for my money - the delia thing at ipswich was a brass neck bravdo pr stunt - after yet again we had thrown the match away in poor fashion...what was there to cheer about???another ill timed example of the ''lets be''avin you'' mentality...to cover over the cracks that our side isn''t good enough now - or then in the prem,,,

I think it was a very good article and hit a number of nails on the head. I find the whole adulation of Delia thing at Poorman Road very bizarre. I don''t hate the woman, and accept and am grateful for her contribution to the club, but I recognise that it''s time for a new regime. This season has been a very painful experience, even if we miraculously avoid the drop, but to clap and cheer her after yet another second half no show had moved us closer to League One makes no sense at all to me.

I rather enjoyed this piece....( I hope the originator doesn''t object to my puttin'' it on here?)....

SQUEAKY-BUM TIME FOR DONC

ACCORDING to The Guardian this week, our £179,000-a-year chief executive will have extra reason to be nervous on Monday.

The newspaper claimed that if we are relegated, Neil Doncaster will be removed from his roles on Football Association and Football League boards. The Man is not sure if the claims are true, but if they are, moving forward, it would come as a hammer blow to Dear Neil, who treasures his role in the “corridors of power”.

Whether our club will manage to remain as successful without his vital influence at football''s top table remains to be seen. At least it would give him even more time to spend on the small matter of Norwich City Football Club.

There is nothing in this article that hasn`t been said on here many many times only differance is The Man says it everyone says yeah very true good piece! On here people such as Smudger and Wiz have said the same thing and get abuse! Guess you cant win [:D]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I rather enjoyed this piece....( I hope the originator doesn''t object to my puttin'' it on here?)....

ACCORDING to The Guardian this week, our £179,000-a-year chief executive will have extra reason to be nervous on Monday.

The newspaper claimed that if we are relegated, Neil Doncaster will be removed from his roles on Football Association and Football League boards. The Man is not sure if the claims are true, but if they are, moving forward, it would come as a hammer blow to Dear Neil, who treasures his role in the “corridors of power”.

Whether our club will manage to remain as successful without his vital influence at football''s top table remains to be seen. At least it would give him even more time to spend on the small matter of Norwich City Football Club.

[/quote]

I rather suspected that you''d enjoy that, Mello[:D] I wonder whether your secret identity has been revealed!

wonder when the club will inform archant that they no longer want "the mans"  column published weekly.... perhaps when he starts questioning the board and their means once more?

jas :)

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

I rather suspected that you''d enjoy that, Mello[:D] I wonder whether your secret identity has been revealed!

[/quote]

Not me Guv, honest....

[quote user="JF"]

There is nothing in this article that hasn`t been said on here many many times only differance is The Man says it everyone says yeah very true good piece! On here people such as Smudger and Wiz have said the same thing and get abuse! Guess you cant win [:D]

[/quote]

The difference is that the Man does it in a way that doesn''t smugly patronise, insult and alienate.

At last, an artice that fires an arrow right at the heart of the problem. This will make deeply uncomfortable reading for many fans.A key part is that the majority of Norwich fans are deeply and irreversibly attached to Delia Smith. Here is a slightly defenseless, slightly eccentric elderly woman, an almost maternal figure with whom they have shared so much with. Younger supporters have grown up with her... infact, for anyone 18 or under, Delia is all they know. Here then is a 13 year relationship, including of course a brief holiday together in the Premiserhip sun, so deep and entrenched that calling it a cultish devotion is not a stretch. When the Clucks and Smudgers of this world say most fans  now support "DNCFC", they''re totally on the money.Now, I wasn''t born in Norfolk, and perhaps that''s why I have felt the exact frustration expressed in this article for many years.  Actually, sometimes I wonder if you do need to be from "outside" something to evaluate it properly. There are many individuals at CR, and on this very message board, who neatly fit The Man''s description.  The average Norwich fan, and probably the average Norfolk citizen, is exactly as The Man calls them. There can be absolutely no denying it.

[quote user="Peter Thorne"]At last, an artice that fires an arrow right at the heart of the problem. This will make deeply uncomfortable reading for many fans.

A key part is that the majority of Norwich fans are deeply and irreversibly attached to Delia Smith. Here is a slightly defenseless, slightly eccentric elderly woman, an almost maternal figure with whom they have shared so much with. Younger supporters have grown up with her... infact, for anyone 18 or under, Delia is all they know. Here then is a 13 year relationship, including of course a brief holiday together in the Premiserhip sun, so deep and entrenched that calling it a cultish devotion is not a stretch. When the Clucks and Smudgers of this world say most fans  now support "DNCFC", they''re totally on the money.

Now, I wasn''t born in Norfolk, and perhaps that''s why I have felt the exact frustration expressed in this article for many years.  Actually, sometimes I wonder if you do need to be from "outside" something to evaluate it properly. There are many individuals at CR, and on this very message board, who neatly fit The Man''s description.  The average Norwich fan, and probably the average Norfolk citizen, is exactly as The Man calls them. There can be absolutely no denying it.
[/quote]

Oedipus Complex....

Yet another excellent article from the man, that''s two pieces from archant in the last few days that have finally put into print what many of us have been feeling for some time. Maybe they are beginning to grow some balls at last, hopefully they''ll really stick the knife in if we are relegated.

They need to "Stick the knife in" whatever happens otherwise same position this time next year!

[quote user="Peter Thorne"]At last, an artice that fires an arrow right at the heart of the problem. This will make deeply uncomfortable reading for many fans.

A key part is that the majority of Norwich fans are deeply and irreversibly attached to Delia Smith. Here is a slightly defenseless, slightly eccentric elderly woman, an almost maternal figure with whom they have shared so much with. Younger supporters have grown up with her... infact, for anyone 18 or under, Delia is all they know. Here then is a 13 year relationship, including of course a brief holiday together in the Premiserhip sun, so deep and entrenched that calling it a cultish devotion is not a stretch. When the Clucks and Smudgers of this world say most fans  now support "DNCFC", they''re totally on the money.

Now, I wasn''t born in Norfolk, and perhaps that''s why I have felt the exact frustration expressed in this article for many years.  Actually, sometimes I wonder if you do need to be from "outside" something to evaluate it properly. There are many individuals at CR, and on this very message board, who neatly fit The Man''s description.  The average Norwich fan, and probably the average Norfolk citizen, is exactly as The Man calls them. There can be absolutely no denying it.
[/quote]

Very true Pete.  Thing is, it wasn''t always like this, we used to be normal football fans.  Hopefully one day we will be again, but if this goes on much longer the damage will be very difficult to repair.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

Very true Pete.  Thing is, it wasn''t always like this, we used to be normal football fans.  Hopefully one day we will be again, but if this goes on much longer the damage will be very difficult to repair.

[/quote]

Meant to add: the board are no doubt aware of the deep divisions between the fans.  Are they bothered?  I don''t think so, divide and rule and all that . . .

[quote user="Peter Thorne"]At last, an artice that fires an arrow right at the heart of the problem. This will make deeply uncomfortable reading for many fans.A key part is that the majority of Norwich fans are deeply and irreversibly attached to Delia Smith. Here is a slightly defenseless, slightly eccentric elderly woman, an almost maternal figure with whom they have shared so much with. Younger supporters have grown up with her... infact, for anyone 18 or under, Delia is all they know. Here then is a 13 year relationship, including of course a brief holiday together in the Premiserhip sun, so deep and entrenched that calling it a cultish devotion is not a stretch. When the Clucks and Smudgers of this world say most fans  now support "DNCFC", they''re totally on the money.Now, I wasn''t born in Norfolk, and perhaps that''s why I have felt the exact frustration expressed in this article for many years.  Actually, sometimes I wonder if you do need to be from "outside" something to evaluate it properly. There are many individuals at CR, and on this very message board, who neatly fit The Man''s description.  The average Norwich fan, and probably the average Norfolk citizen, is exactly as The Man calls them. There can be absolutely no denying it.[/quote]I don''t know a single supporter who is "deeply and irreversibly attached to Delia Smith". Many fans I know and speak to acknowledge Delia''s hard work and servitude but equally fully admit she''s long past her usefulness and needs to go asap.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]I don''t know a single supporter who is "deeply and irreversibly attached to Delia Smith". Many fans I know and speak to acknowledge Delia''s hard work and servitude but equally fully admit she''s long past her usefulness and needs to go asap. [/quote]Sorry, but that''s rubbish. How many hundred of fans chanting her name having been beaten by the scum, at the scum, teetering on the edge of our lowest point for 50 years... strongly suggests otherwise.

An article that just goes over old ground, and like some of the members of this forum it states the bleeding obvious but comes up with no answers.

The true answer the the problem, Topic..is that the club needs strong and firm leadership...but it has none. If it''s not led properly from the very top, then everyone else at the club thinks mediocrity is acceptable as that is what they are shown from the club leadership!

[quote user="Topic has 1 Replies"]An article that just goes over old ground, and like some of the members of this forum it states the bleeding obvious but comes up with no answers.[/quote]

Pray, do tell all us ''old ground grinders'' on this forum....what your constructive solution to the stating of the bleeding obvious -  but no answers to the situation, is?

G''urn then!

[quote user="Topic has 1 Replies"]An article that just goes over old ground, and like some of the members of this forum it states the bleeding obvious but comes up with no answers.[/quote]

Frankly if we lose tomorrow I couldn''t give a t**s if there is an answer or not. I will want accountability and (metaphorically speaking) blood.

I just hope if we do stay up people don''t get caught up in the euphoria of it all and forget to adress the real problem!

I guess the Man just swings with popular opinion like the rest of our spineless majority???

Funny articles but never exactly challenging because they are always way behind the times (which is why I stopped reading him).

However, I wouldn''t like to start rumours but I wrote this article as the Man said that he was struggling and needed to follow the lead set by the Great Smudger.

Time for a pint... C''mon Reading... DELIA OUT!!! [B]

[quote user="Smudger"]

I guess the Man just swings with popular opinion like the rest of our spineless majority???

Funny articles but never exactly challenging because they are always way behind the times (which is why I stopped reading him).

However, I wouldn''t like to start rumours but I wrote this article as the Man said that he was struggling and needed to follow the lead set by the Great Smudger.

Time for a pint... C''mon Reading... DELIA OUT!!! [B]

[/quote]I don''t believe that I''m going to bother asking this of you Smudge as you do like to dodge a question, but in the spirit of achieving the impossible I can but try to get you to answer this :What makes you think that relegation will be the end of the current board ?