Sign in to follow this  
birdman

Misleading Academy

Even if it was cost cutting I would be looking at the man in charge, how much would an x pro cost? Simon Charlton was coaching at the club but has now moved on to take over at Mildenhall which proves there are x pro''s out there that do not want the world in wages.

Have to say Paul Stephenson was a massive loss, I''d have taken him as interim manager over Gunn - though doubt we''d have got Crook here if that was the case.....''One Mark Bowen - there''s only one Mark Bowen.........''

I see Nick Davey scored again in the last game for the Academy, that makes him the top scorer this season having started half the games of the other strikers and yet we are still releasing him. Strange decisions at the Academy as well as the first team the whole place needs a complete overhaul

Hi birdman, I always enjoy reading your reports on the academy as it''s a side to the club that I know very little about. I was just wondering, in your opinion, which players, if any, will be able to help us out next year in League 1? Do you think any have a chance of becoming first-teamers?

Interesting to see the comments from people who watch these youngsters play regularly. I have to say that despite the fact there are obviously concerns about some of the players being released or players being played out of position my own feeling (as someone who has seen some of these kids in pre-season and for the reserves from time to time) is that we do at least have a chance of 3 or 4 of these boys making the breakthrough to the first team, particularly now we are in league 1 and may be forced to throw a few in at the deep end!

I hope to see Rudd, Smith, Adeyemi and maybe a couple of others featuring next season.

Quick question - when I watched them at Dereham last summer there was a kid who played the second half at (i think) left back who I thought looked an absolutely superb player technically. Very, very good touch and left foot. He was young so possibly a first year. any idea who that was?

Sam Habergham was probably the left back, very good player and has recently started playing for England, hopefully before the other clubs come sniffing he will be signed up.

[quote user="Grif"]Hi birdman, I always enjoy reading your reports on the academy as it''s a side to the club that I know very little about. I was just wondering, in your opinion, which players, if any, will be able to help us out next year in League 1? Do you think any have a chance of becoming first-teamers?[/quote]

I have posted this on another thread but in my opinion If they play Korey Smith in the correct position he should be ok, Decland Rudd should at least make the bench if a big club does not come in for him, Tom Adeyemi might feature but I still think he needs a bit of building up, Luke Daley on the wing and Sam Habergham at left back thats about it from the Academy.

Lewis Blois played for England, as did the Jarvis'', Henderson etc!

Jackson Ramm was let go by the academy and was promptly signed by Blackburn Rovers!

Robbie Simpson; let go by nthe Academy - now scoring at Portman Road for Ipswich!!!

Sam Gaughran - let go by the academy - now P''Boros Reserve skipper!!!

[quote user="birdman"]Sam Habergham was probably the left back, very good player and has recently started playing for England, hopefully before the other clubs come sniffing he will be signed up.[/quote]

I don''t think it was Habergham as i''ve seen him before. This was a younger kid. Hope you are right though and Habergham makes it. My only concern was he looked a bit lightweight when I saw him but maybe he''s filled out now?

Might have been David Cooper as he played at Left back and right back for the Academy?

As you were at the Dereham game you would have noticed the Dereham player who made a lot of our prospects look poor Nicky Howell), released from the Academy when they decided to keep Eagles?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Quick question - when I watched them at Dereham last summer there was a kid who played the second half at (i think) left back who I thought looked an absolutely superb player technically. Very, very good touch and left foot. He was young so possibly a first year. any idea who that was?

[/quote]The only academy player that came on at the back in the second half was George Francomb although I think it was at right back.  He''s put some peaches of crosses in for the academy team this season from which there''s been a few goals. Think he also takes a decent corner too.