Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The Moan Gauge

For all the moaning that''s gone on about our need to secure a striker it''s interesting to note that 5 or 6 other teams have scored less than we have. Another 3 or 4 teams have a maximum of two goals more than we have. I wonder how much moaning is going on within other teams  message boards? As a matter of fact, I couln''t help but smile as I looked at the 11 goals Manchester United have scored and wondered what volume of noise our moaners would create if they were sitting at Old Trafford with $50 Million+ worth of strikers on the pitch amongst a sell-out crowd of 67,000+ each game. Kind of puts our level of complaining in perspective for me considering we are the new kids on the block, minimal Premiership experience throughout the squad and management etc.  

We are a couple of wins away from some of the moaners taking a well deserved break.

[quote]For all the moaning that''s gone on about our need to secure a striker it''s interesting to note that 5 or 6 other teams have scored less than we have. Another 3 or 4 teams have a maximum of two goals m...[/quote]

Usual drivel Yanky Panky!.

If I was sitting at Old Trafford with 67,000 other fans I guess I would be looking forward to challenging for the title, to challenging for our domestic cups, and to a continued run in Europe.

As it is, I sit amongst 23,000 fans at Carrow Road, we are equal bottom in the league with our worst ever start in the top league, out of the Carling Cup, and not in Europe.

I don''t understand the comparison

I think what YC is saying Fatman is that Man Utd with all their striking prowess are not actually bulging the net that regularly up to now and yet we are slagging off our players for the same reason so actually spending millions on forwards may not even produce the goals that we are desperately seeking as Man U are proving up to now this season

I can''t say I have been aware of too many posters "slagging" off our players - just pointing out that they are not doing the business and they look unlikley/ unable to do the business.

That being so, those of us on the "darkside" believe that the Club should invest come the January sales.

Comparisons with MU, or any other Club, serve no purpose in that particular debate.

We either invest to improve our chances of staying up, or we don''t. Some of us believe that a lack of investment would be detrimental to the Club.

There is some merit in navmans comments - Man U have INVESTED multi millions to be champions and look unlikely to even qualify automatically for the champ league next year.

But despite having saha, smith, horse face and chav man rooney they have only scored 11 goals in the league showing that splashing the cash does not guarantee results not matter how much you dress it up as an "investment"

I am sure that Chelsea & ''pool saw Mutu, Drogba & Cisse as "investments" yet where has it got them?

The only difference between us and them is the size of our budgets and what we can afford to lose.

OTBC

PS My dad regularly places a sizeable "investment" at the local bookies and gets a similar return - as was discussed earlier your approach to risk eastablishs what is an investment and what is a flutter.Most people would see an investment as something with the probability of a return. Signing a multi million pound striker only gives you the possibilty of a return. A subtle but substatntial difference.God - how did I get dragged into this again!OTBC

You don''t expect me to actually believe that propoganda do you Zipper?????I''m hoping that someone quickly posts something about that tight-fisted board of ours before I start believing you and turning into one of those raving leftie yes-men sycophants!

As with stocks and shares the hard bit is getting the investment right.

Pretty much we all agree that the club needs, probably in reverse order, some class in midfield, a tall pacy defender and a goal SCORER. And even we are struggling to come up with many names who fit the bill.

Fortuntaley the club do seem to want the same thing and probably in the same order. Unfortunately they either cannot or will not raise the cash needed to get the team to be what we all desire. I beleive the board will not over-commit the club as they have a clear view of what the club long term future is and without knowing the full details we are not in a good position to argue with that. And one thing our board does have in its favour is that they are genuine Norwich fans unlike far too many other clubs. We shoul be grateful for that.

I am more than happy to invest what it takes to get us where we want if the player would genuinely improve the squad; its just I have seen few names mentioned (Johansen, Harewood, Ashton, Christie, Crouch, Jansen etc) that are worth breaking the bank for - the exception probably being Darren Bent.

What I do know is that we have a board, manager and players who are giving 110% in every game and have been outclassed in just two games (''pool and gooners) It shows that, while we know that they are a group who fall short in terms of quality, they have a passion as fevered as ours, the fans, to stay in the English Premier League come May. Because of that they deserve our fullest backing against Blackburn on Saturday and the time to show us exactly what they can achieve this season.

KICK IT OFF

Zipper - I would agree completely with you about giving the boys total support on Saturday - I would never not give what ever team we put out my support However, I reserve the right to have an opinion about how they played - and it will not always be complimentary

I agree with you FMF, we must continue to criticise players and put forward our views on what we feel would improve the team - after all other than actually watching the team perform that is the main pleasure for following a team - being able to form and share opinions about players, the management club etc (& bragging rites over the binners!)  What I do want to see in that criticism reserved for the post match pub/internet discussion rather than on the pitch during the game.

For example I know that my views on Eddie do not concur with the majority on this board - however I still cheer his name when announced prematch and am proud that I have never resorted to booing him or any other player mid game - it doesnt mean I wont slate him later or give him some praise when he has a decent game - eg against Citeh.  I still want him replaced though 

Similarly I feel that we do possess a weak squad that will struggle all season and feel that even pushing the board into burning/investing £5m (that we may or may not have/be able to raise) on a quality international striker (let alone an v average Marlon Harewood) is NOT likely to save us from relegation - what we have to hope is that a signing gives the squad  an increase in confidence to match their fantastic endeavours and get us those lucky breaks and those key wins.

At the end of the day we needed 10 wins and 10 draws to survive this season - we now have to win 9/10 from 27 games - a tough call indeed. 

But I will still enjoy every game between now an May - starting with Blackburn on Sat.

OTBC      

Yay! I agree with almost everything in your last post Zipper - the bit I don''t is fairly obvious ( I think we should invest come January), but what the hell

FatMan, I note your last post containing the following thought:

"However, I reserve the right to have an opinion about how they played - and it will not always be complimentary"

Let me ask you a serious question and, please, try to avoid being nasty and see if you can give a serious answer. When was the last time that you had something positive to say, whether about how our team played or any other subject? I personally can only remember one occasion this year and that is when you, appropriately, offered kind remarks on the passing of Ron Ashman.  

We don''t need the money... although it would help,

but could you imagine a Ronaldo... or even worse a Rooney in our camp... Ohhhhhh... I couldn''t think of anything worse, Rooney is just a hot head, who''s on his way out, so he trys to start fights all the time... Our "team" is a group of talented individuals... who play as a TEAM. No one man show, no fancy, pancy foot work, no bullsh*t just straight to the point, solid talent!!!

ahhhhh.....ummm.... I was talking about Norwich wasn''t I ?????

Kick the ball at the goal??........ BRILLIANT!!!!!