Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

why do some of you give gunny a hard time ?

i certainly see that some people dont agree with gunnys appointment for the rest of the season .

also reading some of the threads on here quite a few would not want him in charge next season , why not?

my honest thoughts are , i think he would make a great manager given time .

it may sound like im repeating myself , as i have said before my reasons of why he should be , yet i will go over them again .

no one can surely argue the fact roeder left us in a mess , no confidence in the team , even some of the fans telling by on here,were extremely divided in thoughts.

it just goes to show , the lack of experience many thought he had ,have to a degree been proved wrong considering his record is slightly better than roeders.

we lacked seriously up front , apart from the brief spell with lita under roeder this season , yet gunny was the first to see and put that right , with the loan signing of alan lee , mooney , and a very cheap mcdonald , who have shown they have more grit than anyone roeder signed ie ... lupoli ,

defence ... red cards sendings off cost us dearly , on many occasions , yet now noone can argue bringing back shacks was a good decision , and we have conceeded far less goals .

suddenly since gunny took over , players want to stay here play here , alan lee , i should imagine hucks will come back , and some of the decent loan players will want to stay.

the games we have lost in most we have been unlucky , and poor referee decisions have cost us a few points , and we have not been thrashed by any team under gunny .

most of the players under stringer and brown , (norwich glory days ) , have gone on to do well in management .

gunny has not had a chance to sign who he want on a perminent basis , apart from one who most can see will be a big hit for 25 grand !!!

hes commited to the team , and i cant see any other manager doing any better with the team he got .

some of the players are improving all the time , with the right coaching from butterworth , crook  both extremely good players for norwich and highly thought of .

i firmly believe gunny has much better contacts than roeder , ferguson , bruce , both think gunny would be a good manager .

considering the mess we were in , if we stay up i would consider that nothing short of a miracle for someone with no management experience .

i really think some of you should give the man a chance he has improved this team tenfold ,

i have faith in you gunny , keep us up , then hopefully a perminent deal next season , then we can move forward and put this city back where it should be in the premiership .

people shouldnt be knocking you , considering you have had to make due with the mess the idiot roeder left this squad in .

good luck gunny and gang ....... hopefully your top premiership footballing knoweledge in your playing days will be passed on to our players ,

"Improved this team tenfold"? Er, no he hasn''t. In case you hadn''t noticed we are still very close to the edge. Yes, we are showing more spirit (in some games) and Gunny is a lovely bloke who loves the club, but there is no evidence so far to suggest that he "would make a great manager given time" (something we don''t have by the way). His selections are questionable and he is reluctant to make tactical substitutions even when the game is screaming out for them. I hope he will keep us up, and appreciate his honesty in interviews, but do I think he''s the man to take us back to the top? The honest answer is that I don''t think so, but am prepared to be proven wrong.

alan lee , gow , mcdonald , shacks all beter players than roeder brought in , some of roeders didnt even get on the sub bench .

2 of the four ive mentioned have scored for us , surely thats a improvement ,

problem is... and especially on the pinkun messageboard, there are a lot of fans who''ll never be happy... always think there is someone better... (who wants to manage us with zero funds?) i cannot believe so many people are still moaning about tactics and sub timing... every single manager ever to have managed a team be it sutton united, norwich, manchester united etc have made mistakes, and will continue to make mistakes. we are playing a lot better under gunn, we have better shape, better players in the first 11 and 16. the motivation is there. every team in our position will wobble, it''s only natural... sadly i think a lot of our fans just think... something or someone much better is just round the corner... it''s not (yet) and they''re not. Gunn is the man for the job and IF he is here next season i fully believe we will be a better side and playing better football than we have done since we got promoted to the prem under worthington. You can hold me to this, but i don''t think i am wrong. Support the team and support gunn. stop the misery.  

here here ...

at least he can bring in strikers who know where the net is , and defenders who can defend and not get sent off every weeks !!!!

if we stay up , i really hope he gets the job .

[quote user="The Chirp"]problem is... and especially on the pinkun messageboard, there are a lot of fans who''ll never be happy... always think there is someone better... (who wants to manage us with zero funds?)

i cannot believe so many people are still moaning about tactics and sub timing... every single manager ever to have managed a team be it sutton united, norwich, manchester united etc have made mistakes, and will continue to make mistakes.

we are playing a lot better under gunn, we have better shape, better players in the first 11 and 16. the motivation is there. every team in our position will wobble, it''s only natural... sadly i think a lot of our fans just think... something or someone much better is just round the corner... it''s not (yet) and they''re not.

Gunn is the man for the job and IF he is here next season i fully believe we will be a better side and playing better football than we have done since we got promoted to the prem under worthington.

You can hold me to this, but i don''t think i am wrong.

Support the team and support gunn. stop the misery.  
[/quote]

There''s a difference between having reservations and not supporting someone. Any City manager will have my support, but that doesn''t mean that I won''t have an opinion. That''s what the forum is for, and what the OP asked for. If it doesn''t agree with your own, that''s fine.

beau i normally agree with what you have to say, thing is, it''s easy to find a complaint with any manager, no manager is perfect, if they were they''d win every single game! Gunn has come in and in my opinion, he''s done pretty well. Especially when you consider the position we''re in financially, in the table and not to mention the numerous loan players and lack of quality he had in the squad when he took over. players such as fotheringham, cureton and pattison haven''t seen the light of day and quite right as well. I know pattison has his fans on here but i thought he was extremely poor tracking back. Elliot omozuzi has been shown the door as he''s clearly not the best fullback in the league as glenn said he was... he was terrible on a few occasions. Next season if Gunn is still here, he''ll have a pre season and his own (very small) budget to spend... I think then we''ll see a better side. out will go jamie, fozzi and patty giving us a fair a fair amount in wages saved...i expect IF we stay up to see shack back for a nominal fee (wolves wont have paid the full amount outright) especially if wolves go up.I think the bulk (read all) of our money to go on Lee and Gow. Lee will cost in the region of 350-400k, Gow 300k (i imagine fees are in place for both) - the board know they have no choice other than fund this or risk chaos. Then i reckon we will see Spillane as sub centre-back/right back along with david stephensMartin and MacDonald supporting Gow, Lee and possibly Mooney on a season long loan (esp in Reading go up).It will be interesting to see what will happen to bertrand. ... one more point...Ince isn''t right for norwich, in a sense he''s another task master like roeder... jewell (another one linked) had a torrid time at derby so i think sometimes the grass isn''t always as green on the otherside as you think it is.

I''m not pro Gunn, far from it, but I will back him and the rest of the Dream team as I doubt the board will pull out the stops to get anyone better in.........plus, I also believe that decision has already been made by Smith and Co.

However, I praise Bryan for lifting the spirit in the club and raising morale.[Y]

[quote user="The Chirp"]beau i normally agree with what you have to say, thing is, it''s easy to find a complaint with any manager, no manager is perfect, if they were they''d win every single game!

Gunn has come in and in my opinion, he''s done pretty well. Especially when you consider the position we''re in financially, in the table and not to mention the numerous loan players and lack of quality he had in the squad when he took over.

players such as fotheringham, cureton and pattison haven''t seen the light of day and quite right as well. I know pattison has his fans on here but i thought he was extremely poor tracking back.

Elliot omozuzi has been shown the door as he''s clearly not the best fullback in the league as glenn said he was... he was terrible on a few occasions.

Next season if Gunn is still here, he''ll have a pre season and his own (very small) budget to spend... I think then we''ll see a better side.
out will go jamie, fozzi and patty giving us a fair a fair amount in wages saved...

i expect IF we stay up to see shack back for a nominal fee (wolves wont have paid the full amount outright) especially if wolves go up.
I think the bulk (read all) of our money to go on Lee and Gow. Lee will cost in the region of 350-400k, Gow 300k (i imagine fees are in place for both) - the board know they have no choice other than fund this or risk chaos.

Then i reckon we will see Spillane as sub centre-back/right back along with david stephens
Martin and MacDonald supporting Gow, Lee and possibly Mooney on a season long loan (esp in Reading go up).

It will be interesting to see what will happen to bertrand.

... one more point...Ince isn''t right for norwich, in a sense he''s another task master like roeder... jewell (another one linked) had a torrid time at derby so i think sometimes the grass isn''t always as green on the otherside as you think it is.
[/quote]

I think you''ve misunderstood me slightly. I accept that with our resources we are not going to bring in a big name (and that doing so doesn''t in itself guarantee success). The OP was asking why some of us knock Gunn and I was attempting to explain what the reservations are. I think its also important to state that I agree that a lot of good decisions have been made, and I agree with your points above about the likes of Fozzy and Curo, but it is also relevant to  point out that Killen and Leijer were also brought in by the current management team. However, I accept that no-one gets everything right.

I would LOVE Gunny to suceed, and I really hope he does, but I would be dishonest if I said that I felt overly confident in his decision making so far. Leaving Lee out v Wednesday was a huge error, as were the many decisions to delay substitutions in various games until too little time was left. The Southampton game resulted in the loss of what may be two vital points because we were tactically naive in this respect, and playing Mooney in midfield at Swansea was just bizarre. Finally, you credit Gunny with ousting Curo, but the fact is that he brought him back and continued to play him when he was missing golden chances in every game. He is totally inexperienced and sometimes it shows very badly.He will learn, but hopefully it won''t be in League One.

However, as I''ve said he will continue to get my full support.

My only criticism has been the substitutions and the odd team selection. However there a two others around him and I don''t for one minute suspect Gunn is as ''pig-headed'' as what a certain Roeder was.

If I was to give him a mark it would be 7/10 and could do a little better,and to learn from his mistakes. Importantly his admiring quality is that he does actually admit when he has made an error or two,although I''d like him to work out who our best team is and not make wholesale changes.

I think some of the criticism comes from using this board as a relief valve or posting messages when still getting the game out of your system. 

[quote user="Beauseant"]I think you''ve misunderstood me slightly. I accept that with our resources we are not going to bring in a big name (and that doing so doesn''t in itself guarantee success). The OP was asking why some of us knock Gunn and I was attempting to explain what the reservations are. I think its also important to state that I agree that a lot of good decisions have been made, and I agree with your points above about the likes of Fozzy and Curo, but it is also relevant to  point out that Killen and Leijer were also brought in by the current management team. However, I accept that no-one gets everything right.

I would LOVE Gunny to suceed, and I really hope he does, but I would be dishonest if I said that I felt overly confident in his decision making so far. Leaving Lee out v Wednesday was a huge error, as were the many decisions to delay substitutions in various games until too little time was left. The Southampton game resulted in the loss of what may be two vital points because we were tactically naive in this respect, and playing Mooney in midfield at Swansea was just bizarre. Finally, you credit Gunny with ousting Curo, but the fact is that he brought him back and continued to play him when he was missing golden chances in every game. He is totally inexperienced and sometimes it shows very badly.He will learn, but hopefully it won''t be in League One.

However, as I''ve said he will continue to get my full support.

[/quote]I totally agree with this, well said that man.

If the board appointed GOD himself or Alex Ferguson to replace Roedernowhere then I''m sure some fans would of complained - You''ll never please everyone!

Whether people admit it or not Gunn with his backroom staff was the best option at the time. If it had just been Gunn on his own with some of the academy staff and that muppet Roedernowhere brought in form Newcastle Sadler (only good for swearing and upsetting players aparently) then it would of been worrying but we''re definately better of with Gunns crew!

Yes some of Gunns line ups have baffled me but then again name me a pro manager thqat doesn''t make similar decisions!