Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

really sad to see

i do really feel gutted for luton town , they pretty much had thier back against the wall from day one this season .

30 point deduction was just a disgusting penalty , they may have just been relegated before they even started , at least that would have given them a chance to get back into the leauge quicker .

if southampton go unpunished , this is a complete shambles and so unfair for teams like luton town .

i really hope to see them fight back and get back into the leauge quickly .

best of luck luton .

[quote user="singing canary"]

i do really feel gutted for luton town , they pretty much had thier back against the wall from day one this season .

30 point deduction was just a disgusting penalty , they may have just been relegated before they even started , at least that would have given them a chance to get back into the leauge quicker .

if southampton go unpunished , this is a complete shambles and so unfair for teams like luton town .

best of luck luton .

[/quote]

I have a couple of mates that are LT supporters and they are gutted, they never really stood a chance with such a huge deduction and I think those who make those decisions should haveg their heads in shame.  How can you deduct such a huge amount off one club and a smaller amount from another club who is in similar situations?  Absolutely shambles.

I just hope that this won''t finish the club off, and that we will see them climbing their way back in the near future.

I also hope that some of the players show a bit of gumption and loyalty to the fans who have supported them through better times, and will support them through the bad times.

alot of companies have gone under of late , i think its disgusting that the leauge has to punish further , when teams like southampton are just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the football leauge .

30 points was bad , when considering southampton would only get a maximum of 10 points maybe .

alot of companies have gone under of late , i think its disgusting that the leauge has to punish further , when teams like southampton are just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the football leauge .

30 points was bad , when considering southampton would only get a maximum of 10 points maybe .

[/quote]

I know, my point exactly.

If they are going to make these rules they need to stick by them for all, not for those whose face doesn''t fit.

To be fair to the league, this is not the first time that LT have had financial difficulties.  When a club is seen to be repeatedly flirting with financial meltdown because of unsustainable business models think they need to be treated severely.

However a 30 point penalty is savage, think they should have investigated running it over a few seasons.

There was an interview with a tearful Luton fan on breakfast TV this morning. The guy had been a fan for 43 years and travels from Portsmouth for every game, home and away. As he said, the FA''s punishment hurts people like him, not those who got the club into administration, because they''re long gone. Ultimately it''s the supporters, ie the people who''ve been putting their money into the club week in and week out who pay the price, while the suits who oversaw the decline simply pop up somewhere else and start feathering their nests again.

The system is wrong, end of story.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

There was an interview with a tearful Luton fan on breakfast TV this morning. The guy had been a fan for 43 years and travels from Portsmouth for every game, home and away. As he said, the FA''s punishment hurts people like him, not those who got the club into administration, because they''re long gone. Ultimately it''s the supporters, ie the people who''ve been putting their money into the club week in and week out who pay the price, while the suits who oversaw the decline simply pop up somewhere else and start feathering their nests again.

[/quote]

Agree with you totally [Y]

[quote user="Ciderkidd"]To be fair though, I''d heard that they have been in administration 3 times in recent years.
[/quote]

But should the clubs fans and community suffer as a result of the mismanagement of the previous owners? The club has been punished by a failure of directors to pay a tax bills after paying out top whack for players. The new owners have come in, offered to settle the offending tax bill, so surely that should have been the end of the situation? The inland revenue rejected the opportunity to take settlement and the football league refused to revoke the penalty. The new owners only missed out on the deadline by one week.

That just goes to show that decent people get punished, whilst the perpetrators go unpunished. Thats the problem with limited liability, the previous owners can walk away relatively unscatched, leaving all other stakeholders in the sh*t.

I think that the treatment of that football club has been disgusting, and hope that they have the resources and players to get back up next year. Maybe we could send them a couple of players again, maybe Luke Daley and Korey Smith?

Sorry folks but I completely disagree. Some of you may be too young to remember that Luton Town used to forbid away supporters and play on a shonky pitch, both of which gave them an enormous advantage for home games and rather suspiciously precipitated their most successful period. Their fans never complained about Football League rules or their club''s management when they were both to their own advantage. They are a club who has finally paid the price for pushing their luck too often and for too long.

[quote user="curnster"]Sorry folks but I completely disagree. Some of you may be too young to remember that Luton Town used to forbid away supporters and play on a shonky pitch, both of which gave them an enormous advantage for home games and rather suspiciously precipitated their most successful period. Their fans never complained about Football League rules or their club''s management when they were both to their own advantage. They are a club who has finally paid the price for pushing their luck too often and for too long.[/quote]

Absolutely agree curnster. Those who say it''s wrong ..end of story, are either too young to remember the facts or have got VERY short memories.

Going into Administration is cheating. Plain and simple.We all berated Ipsh** when they did it. And I''ll say the same if it happens NCFC. And Luton Town are serial offenders. Aren''t they the ones who tried to implement Thatcher''s bizarre "membership" scheme?

I hope they''ve learnt their lesson and come back in better ,more realistic financial shape.

If the FL find in favour of punishing Southampton,then they too should have extra pts deducted for trying to take the p*ss.

[quote user="canari francais"]

[quote user="curnster"]Sorry folks but I completely disagree. Some of you may be too young to remember that Luton Town used to forbid away supporters and play on a shonky pitch, both of which gave them an enormous advantage for home games and rather suspiciously precipitated their most successful period. Their fans never complained about Football League rules or their club''s management when they were both to their own advantage. They are a club who has finally paid the price for pushing their luck too often and for too long.[/quote]

Absolutely agree curnster. Those who say it''s wrong ..end of story, are either too young to remember the facts or have got VERY short memories.

Going into Administration is cheating. Plain and simple.We all berated Ipsh** when they did it. And I''ll say the same if it happens NCFC. And Luton Town are serial offenders. Aren''t they the ones who tried to implement Thatcher''s bizarre "membership" scheme?

I hope they''ve learnt their lesson and come back in better ,more realistic financial shape.

If the FL find in favour of punishing Southampton,then they too should have extra pts deducted for trying to take the p*ss.

[/quote]

Hardly young here, well over 40, but really that''s irrelevant.

That''s the thing though isn''t it?  They slap 10 points on some, 15 on others and 30 points on LT.  It should be accross the board punishment, not differing amounts.

Forgive me for thinking that there were different investors at LTFC.  And for thinking that you shouldn''t be punished for someone else''s gross mis-management of a clubs finances.

[/quote]

I''m 52 and my memory is fine thank you. If you re-read my post you will fund that at no point do I agree with administration as a means of offloading debt. My point is that the current system punishes supporters not the people actually responsible. Instead of trying to patronise me perhaps you would like to read what I actually write rather than what you want to see. Then again, arrogance is the French disease, I suppose.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="canari francais"]

[/quote]

I''m 52 and my memory is fine thank you. If you re-read my post you will fund that at no point do I agree with administration as a means of offloading debt. My point is that the current system punishes supporters not the people actually responsible. Instead of trying to patronise me perhaps you would like to read what I actually write rather than what you want to see. Then again, arrogance is the French disease, I suppose.

[/quote]

Ohhhh la la [:$][:D]

I''m still not sure about all of this. But I do agree the current system punishes the fans more than anyone. Especially more than those who were responsible for the administration in the first place. But for every misfortune that happens in football it''s the fans that suffer because they have the real loyalty and can''t just clear off to pastures new.

On the other side of the coin before these punishments were in place clubs like scum and Leicester used the system to their own ends at the expense of clubs like ours whose fans and owners have had to continually dig deep and suffer to keep their heads above water. Yet some posters still would welcome administration here which I''m afraid I think is shamefull.

As for the 30 points, well it was relegation in any other name. Clubs have been relegated in the past but that relegation effects other clubs. Why should another club have a promotion they haven''t earned just because Luton or anyone else were mis-managed. And given the choice Luton and their fans would have taken the 30 point deduction over relegation last summer anyway.

[quote user="Beauseant"]. Instead of trying to patronise me perhaps you would like to read what I actually write rather than what you want to see. Then again, arrogance is the French disease, I suppose.[/quote]

And I suppose,saying "It is wrong...END OF STORY" is not either arrogant or patronising Beauseant.? Are the rest of us not allowed an opinion?

I really cannot see what''s relevant about who is running the club at any given time. Everyone who runs a club knows the rules. If they don''t want to abide by them,they shouldn''t get involved.

[quote user="Beauseant"]. Instead of trying to patronise me perhaps you would like to read what I actually write rather than what you want to see. Then again, arrogance is the French disease, I suppose.[/quote]

And I suppose,saying "It is wrong...END OF STORY" is not either arrogant or patronising Beauseant.? Are the rest of us not allowed an opinion?

I really cannot see what''s relevant about who is running the club at any given time. Everyone who runs a club knows the rules. If they don''t want to abide by them,they shouldn''t get involved.

[/quote]

It''s neither arrogant or patronising, merely a way of expressing a strong opinion, but if I''ve offended you by it I will happily retract it.

You are right to say that those who run clubs know the rules. However, you have missed the point that they are not the ones to suffer. Do you think any of Luton''s former directors have been hurt by their relegation? They are no longer at the club, so the pain is borne by the fans.I fully endorse the strong punishment of those who caused the administration, but that isn''t what is happening here. Yet again the FA are hitting the soft target, the fans. I have no affection for Luton as a club but the reasons for that are the machinations of their former chairman and directors, not the fans. There but for the grace of God and all that.

With respect,Beausant,"I''m not missing the point". The new people who took over at Kenilworth Rd knew the score (no pun intended!),so if they were not prepared to hack it,I repeat ,they should not have got involved.

Until going into administration is made a Criminal offence,how do you suggest that the original perpetrators should be punished?

Hitting the fans/clubs/members might just focus their minds before rubber stamping the "appointment" of dodgy new owners.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Nail on the head.

It wasn''t any of the fans that caused Luton''s problems but they are the ones who will suffer.

With respect,Beausant,"I''m not missing the point". The new people who took over at Kenilworth Rd knew the score (no pun intended!),so if they were not prepared to hack it,I repeat ,they should not have got involved.

Until going into administration is made a Criminal offence,how do you suggest that the original perpetrators should be punished?

Hitting the fans/clubs/members might just focus their minds before rubber stamping the "appointment" of dodgy new owners.

[/quote]

I personally think that the directors should be banned from holding any directorship under company law, because at present they can just walk away.

However, you are rather harsh in suggesting that fans and/or members have sufficient info available to them to establish whether owners are "dodgy". Usually dodgy people succeed by conning honest ones because they''re rather good at it. Fans just want their club to do well. Look how many people would have taken Cullum without further investigation in the summer.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I personally think that the directors should be banned from holding any directorship under company law, because at present they can just walk away.

[/quote]

Well OK,Beau,this may be on your wish list,(and,for the record,I agree with you),but,sadly ,unless the law is changed it aint going to happen.

But you still don''t say HOW,EXACTLY,the miscreants are to be punished.

[quote user="canari francais"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Well OK,Beau,this may be on your wish list,(and,for the record,I agree with you),but,sadly ,unless the law is changed it aint going to happen.

But you still don''t say HOW,EXACTLY,the miscreants are to be punished.

[/quote]

Tbh I don''t really know! However, the answer should not be to punish the fans, which is what is happening at present.

The only other remedy,under current law is to wind the club up. And I fail to see how that would be better for "the fans". At least,under the current rules they have a team to support,albeit in a lower league.

[quote user="canari francais"]The only other remedy,under current law is to wind the club up. And I fail to see how that would be better for "the fans". At least,under the current rules they have a team to support,albeit in a lower league.[/quote]

Fair point, but I think that we agree that the current system is far from perfect!

best of luck luton .

[/quote]

Agree, but I think Luton will bounce back stronger!

I''ve nothing against Southampton but fairs, fair, they should be deducted 10 pts this season and thats nowt to do with the fact it could help us.

In fact it was us in the same situation as Southampton then I''d still feel it was right if we got deducted 10pts!