Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

The officals on Saturday are...

Ipswich Town v Norwich City (12:45 )
N D SWARBRICK
S Creighton and P W Melin
Fourth Official J D A Hopkins

From the RefWorld website: http://www.refworld.com

Neil is another referee who started refereeing somewhat later than most National List officials being twenty nine. Making rapid progress he reached the National List of assistant referees in only six years, spending four years at this level before being promoted to the referees’ list. He has refereed the Pontins’ League Cup Final and a Conference Play Off Semi-Final and has also officiated at FL Play Off Semi- Finals.

How did you get introduced into refereeing?

Whilst working nights at a former company in the mid 90’s a work colleague who at the time was a National List referee cajoled me into running a line for him in a Lancashire Police Cup fixture. As it was an afternoon kick off he always struggled to get a couple of assistants for the games. He knew I played football and had a rough understanding off the game so I went along to help him out. He encouraged me to join the Lancashire FA and it just progressed from there. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far? 

Without doubt receiving the letter, which congratulated me on my promotion to the National List of referees (pending passing the fitness test of course).

What is the best game you have officiated and why? 

I’d have to say my last ever Panel fixture as a referee. It was the semi final 2nd Leg of the Conference Play Offs between Carlisle United and Aldershot on the 6th May 2005. I only received the appointment two days before the game due to the original referee unfortunately being taken off the game. A slice of luck on my part which I believe you always need to progress in whatever you are doing. Aldershot were a goal up from the first leg but with a crowd of over 10,000 cheering on the home team they equalised early on. It was a typical cup-tie with both teams going for it. Carlisle went 2-1 up on aggregate only for Aldershot to equalise in the last few minutes of normal time. No more goals in extra time and when Aldershot went 3-1 up on pens with only two each left you’d have thought it was game over but the Carlisle keeper saved the next two and both Carlisle penalties were converted. Then it was sudden death, Aldershot scored only for Carlisle to equalise, and then Aldershot missed their next one. At this point Carlisle supporters thought their team had won and streamed onto the pitch in there hundreds. There was a delay of about five minutes whilst the pitch was cleared before the winning penalty was taken. 

What are your aims as a National List Referee?

To continue to establish myself on the National List and put myself in the frame for refereeing a Premiership fixture. 

What skills do you think you need to become a referee? 

To have empathy for the game and the man management skills whilst still keeping control of the match.

Who has been the biggest influence in your career and why? 

When I was refereeing at Local and Supply Level Jim Bryson (Preston Referees Society) gave me tremendous support and encouragement. Throughout my career Eddie Wolstenholme has given me fantastic guidance. Always supplying me with advice on a variety of issues /problems I have encountered. As an ex work colleague and my first Panel /Football League Coach I could not of hand picked a better ally.

In your opinion who is/was the best referee? 

Jack Taylor – World Cup Final Referee. An absolute gentleman who reached the pinnacle of the refereeing profession.

God save us from fast tracked officials !You''ve only got to look at Dareen Cann to see the flaws in the system. Fast tracking makes arrogant self obsessed prats become even more so. Expect a strutting, grinning "look at me" performance involving perverse decision making just to show who''s boss.

His only ever previous Norwich game wasn''t a good one - the 3-1 defeat at Derby back in October. He did two Ipswich games last season - their 3-1 defeat at Charlton and 1-1 draw at QPR. Was also in charge when Whitley Bay nearly came all the way back against Lowestoft last season.

Wasn''t Creighton the linesman who decided that Millwall could keep taking penalties until they scored last night?

Wasn''t Creighton the lino for the Joe Lewis penalty thing at the Millwall/PBoro game?

I saw that penalty thing, it was a joke! Joe Lewis done the same thing every time and they were just waiting for him to score.

The guy missed it twice so should have just left it at that in my opinon.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]At least if they turn up on Saturday they''ll have plenty of time to get know each other.....[/quote]

Well spotted!