Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

chelsea v liverpool

I have to say before tonight I was so bored of these two playing eachother I was starting to find watching paint dry more entertaining but awesome match tonight. Have to say was hoping the scousers knicked it near the end now. Really hope united go out tomorrow night now

[quote user="pennywise "]is it me or are itv willing liverpool to go through ?[/quote]

Yeah of course they are. Makes it more exciting if Liverpool would have pulled it off. Therefore increasing viewing figures.

Anyway, hell of a match. Absolutely gutted Chelsea went through.

[quote user="STAR IN THE HOOD"]Why the negativity towards English sides?[/quote]

Only negativity towards Chelsea. Because I hate Chelsea. And so should any football fan in my opinion in the way that Abramovich''s money alone has made them one of the best teams in the world in the space of one season.

If you mean me? the reason i want Barca to win is that i''ve seen them play twice this season at the Nou Camp, whereas i haven''t seen any of the English 4, therefore i want Barca to win it

[quote user="pennywise "]is it me or are itv willing liverpool to go through ?[/quote]Clive Tyldsley was commentating, right?

What a cracking match. Liverpool looked like they were going to turn the tie around in the first half but Drogba and Lampard inspired Chelsea in the second half. Drogba may be ever so slightly annoying but when he plays like that he is the best all round centre forward in the world.I really wanted Liverpool to win and it''s a feeling I''m not at all comfortable with. My childhood years were spent watching Liverpool sweep all before them and being taunted by their ''fans'' for choosing to be a City fan. But this season something within me seems to be willing them to win games and I can''t control it. I want Rafa Benitez to be my kindly yet eccentric Uncle and I think I could watch Alonso play all day even if he was just booting the ball against a wall in my back yard. I''m even warming to $tevie Me! I like to think that it''s the coverage of the twenty year anniversary of Hillsborough that''s causing me to look at Liverpool with a more sympathetic attitude but I''m not sure. My Dad claims to support Liverpool as his ''second team'', what if it''s in my genes? I even respect Dirk Kuyt for his attitude and team spirit. Help me please!COME ON PORTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="ncfc90"]If you mean me? the reason i want Barca to win is that i''ve seen them play twice this season at the Nou Camp, whereas i haven''t seen any of the English 4, therefore i want Barca to win it[/quote]Why not prefer an English team to win it..you know, assuming you are English.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ncfc90"]If you mean me? the reason i want Barca to win is that i''ve seen them play twice this season at the Nou Camp, whereas i haven''t seen any of the English 4, therefore i want Barca to win it[/quote]

Why not prefer an English team to win it..you know, assuming you are English.
[/quote]

Because what does that mean anymore? I''ve always wanted every English team to win each game in Europe. Then, since Abramovic, that no longer counted for Chelsea. Now it no longer counts for Manchester United as well, because the amount of glory hunters that all support United at my school annoys me, and therefore I hope that Man Utd fail.
Arsenal and Liverpool on the other hand - I still always want them to win in Europe. So come on Porto, Barcelona and Arsenal!

Yes i''m English, but having seen Barcelona play twice this season, i have alot more affection for them than the others, and they way they play. Messi is without a doubt the best player in the world by a country mile And i know that if he plays half as well as he can, he will tear Chelsea apart.Barcccccccccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaa!

[quote user="hogesar"]Why not prefer an English team to win it..you know, assuming you are English.[/quote]Maybe he prefers the football that Barca play? What has nationality got to do with it?

No, it''s because i have seen them play twice this year. Plus yes they style of football they play is amazing to watch, and possess some of the greatest players, Messi, Eto''o, Henry (sometimes) Xavi and Dani Alves are all arguably the best around in their respective positions.

Abramovic didn''t make Chelsea good, Mourinho did. Ranieri spent loads of cash and didn''t improve Chelsea in his time under Abramovic, Mourinho brought wisely and turned Chelsea into the team they are.

I''m sure none of you would be complaining if it''d happened to us....

Am personally pleased that Chelsea won - can''t stand Liverpool and Benitez nowadays, nor their "best fans in the world" (...which we''ve discussed on here plenty of times).

Also, for those who decry Chelsea for being foreigners, Liverpool are barely more ''English'' - foreign owners and few English players (I think I''m right in saying they had only one English player in their squad tonight?). 

"Abramovic didn''t make Chelsea good, Mourinho did. Ranieri spent

loads of cash and didn''t improve Chelsea in his time under Abramovic,

Mourinho brought wisely and turned Chelsea into the team they are.

I''m sure none of you would be complaining if it''d happened to us...."

I would argue this Lambo. I believe the year Abramovic came in Chelsea finshed second under Ranieri putting Man Utd into 3rd. An impressive feat with one season of money, far better than Man City have managed so far. Also, unfortunately for Ranieri, they came against the ''Invincibles'' in Arsenal. I think any team, even Chelsea under Mourinho, would not have knocked them off the top. I genuinely believe the foundations for the Chelsea team now were built under Ranieri. Lampard, Terry,  and Cech were all brought into the team by Ranieri who have all been pivital to their success. Mourinho was a master at management but did no better in Europe with them as Ranieri did. It seems ill-judged to be so dismissive of Ranieri''s contribution to their siliverware fortunes as you happen to be.

I''ll never understand why people blindly support any team/individual just because they''re English.I''m from Norfolk, don''t really feel any affinity with a bunch of mancs, scousers or londoners. I want Arsenal or Barcelona to win the champions league because they play the best football of any team in the world today.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]I''ll never understand why people blindly support any team/individual just because they''re English.I''m from Norfolk, don''t really feel any affinity with a bunch of mancs, scousers or londoners. I want Arsenal or Barcelona to win the champions league because they play the best football of any team in the world today. [/quote]Totally agree. Plus if Man Yoo or Liverpool win I have to deal with all their glory hunting idiot fans crowing over how many Champions League titals they have won without having ever seen a game at one of their overated grounds.

I''m just going to stick the "come on Man united" out there.Would much rather see them in the semis against arsenal than some pushover portugese side who caught the world champions on an off day. Would rather see Barcelona throw Chelsea out, United chuck out arsenal and then one hell of a ding dong in the final, which we should of seen in last seasons semis.Just throwing that out there.

[quote user="Polar"]I''m just going to stick the "come on Man united" out there.

Would much rather see them in the semis against arsenal than some pushover portugese side who caught the world champions on an off day. Would rather see Barcelona throw Chelsea out, United chuck out arsenal and then one hell of a ding dong in the final, which we should of seen in last seasons semis.

Just throwing that out there.
[/quote]

ABU..........always will be even if they were the only "English" team left in it.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I really wanted Liverpool to win and it''s a feeling I''m not at all comfortable with. My childhood years were spent watching Liverpool sweep all before them and being taunted by their ''fans'' for choosing to be a City fan. But this season something within me seems to be willing them to win games and I can''t control it. I want Rafa Benitez to be my kindly yet eccentric Uncle and I think I could watch Alonso play all day even if he was just booting the ball against a wall in my back yard. I''m even warming to $tevie Me! I like to think that it''s the coverage of the twenty year anniversary of Hillsborough that''s causing me to look at Liverpool with a more sympathetic attitude but I''m not sure. My Dad claims to support Liverpool as his ''second team'', what if it''s in my genes? I even respect Dirk Kuyt for his attitude and team spirit. Help me please![/quote]I''ve been the same for a couple of seasons now, pretty much since watching that Champs League final in the Murderers... there was one solitary real Liverpool fan in our area and as the game progressed everyone had ended up crowding around him and egging him and his team onto victory... you can''t argue with great games of football and Liverpool do get themselves involved in them more often than they''re given credit for - remember the FA Cup final against Wet Sham a few years ago, and now last night as well... top stuff! [Y]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Shack Attack"]I really wanted Liverpool to win and it''s a feeling I''m not at all comfortable with. My childhood years were spent watching Liverpool sweep all before them and being taunted by their ''fans'' for choosing to be a City fan. But this season something within me seems to be willing them to win games and I can''t control it. I want Rafa Benitez to be my kindly yet eccentric Uncle and I think I could watch Alonso play all day even if he was just booting the ball against a wall in my back yard. I''m even warming to $tevie Me! I like to think that it''s the coverage of the twenty year anniversary of Hillsborough that''s causing me to look at Liverpool with a more sympathetic attitude but I''m not sure. My Dad claims to support Liverpool as his ''second team'', what if it''s in my genes? I even respect Dirk Kuyt for his attitude and team spirit. Help me please!
[/quote]
I''ve been the same for a couple of seasons now, pretty much since watching that Champs League final in the Murderers... there was one solitary real Liverpool fan in our area and as the game progressed everyone had ended up crowding around him and egging him and his team onto victory... you can''t argue with great games of football and Liverpool do get themselves involved in them more often than they''re given credit for - remember the FA Cup final against Wet Sham a few years ago, and now last night as well... top stuff! [Y]
[/quote]

Great games of football they might get involved in but don''t let''s forget it was their '' best fans in the world '' in the Heysel Stadium in 1985 who got English clubs banned from Europe for five years.

Liverpool enjoy European football every single season but they denied us, Coventry and even little old Wimbledon the chance to enjoy it too.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Great games of football they might get involved in but don''t let''s forget it was their '' best fans in the world '' in the Heysel Stadium in 1985 who got English clubs banned from Europe for five years.

[/quote]

That''s a fairly simplistic view to be honest. Heysel was the last straw but the behaviour of English fans over a period of time was equally responsible for our ban.