Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Why does The Doc have no trace of an Irish accent?

Not to my ears anyway. I once heard him interviewed on the radio and he had one of those plastic cockney Luton accents, but when I heard his interview on Radio Norfolk after the Wednesday game he spoke in almost a BBC voice, in other words no real discernible accent. Also, the old boy sounded quite sharp and eloquent, which rather belied that slightly gormless, lights-are-on-but-no-one''s-home expression he often has when he''s on the pitch.

The internet informs me he was born in County Donegal in 1980, but I would imagine he arrived in England when he was very young. Does anybody know? Does anybody else care about such trivia?

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]

Not to my ears anyway. I once heard him interviewed on the radio and he had one of those plastic cockney Luton accents, but when I heard his interview on Radio Norfolk after the Wednesday game he spoke in almost a BBC voice, in other words no real discernible accent. Also, the old boy sounded quite sharp and eloquent, which rather belied that slightly gormless, lights-are-on-but-no-one''s-home expression he often has when he''s on the pitch.

The internet informs me he was born in County Donegal in 1980, but I would imagine he arrived in England when he was very young. Does anybody know? Does anybody else care about such trivia?

[/quote]no & no [:D]

He''s always lived in England far as i know - wern''t he on Luton''s books at a early age.

Prob got irish grandparents or something?

I love a certain amount of trivia myself. Did you know that the word trivia comes from the Latin for crossroads, tri + via (three streets). Many years ago in Rome, at the intersection of three streets, they would set up a kiosk where ancillary info was dispensed. This info might have been of interest to you, or it might not - hence trivia.

That''s the sort of trivia I''m interested in. I''m not interested in stuff such as how many times a fly farts in an average day - or factoids as Steve Wright in the Afternoon would call such useless information.

[quote user="Gunn Dogger "]

Do you like watching Q.I?

One of my fave programmes of all time.

[/quote]

I do and I don''t. I find Stephen Fry is rather too smugly aware of how clever he is, and also I hate discovering how many things I had accepted as facts turn out to be incorrect. Makes you wonder what fools disseminated the incorrect "facts" in the first place, and why they did so.

Think it was mentioned in the program against Watford. Doc was the featured player, I remember reading something about him moving over here when he was 5 or 6

[quote user="lincoln canary"]why is the sky blue?[/quote]Only if you live in Coventry. If you live in Reading it''s golden! [;)]

Well your brain tells you that it''s blue. It is also to do with the atmospere and how it scatters all sorts of colours, but they are all absorbed expect the blue, or something like that [:S]

I''d always assumed he was one of those "Irish" internationals like Townsend,Robinson and Lawrenson who only got their caps because their granny once went on a day-trip to Dublin,or some such nonsense. Like Jerry Goss got to play for Wales.

But I stand corrected.

The reason he hasn''t got an Irish accent is because if he didn''t, he wouldn''t be Dean Gaffney''s sound alike! (Robbie from Eastenders)

How much do they sound alike!!!!!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]just listen to Gunny.
If you didnt know he was Scottish Id even say he was a " ''locle "
[/quote]

I think Gunny has developed a sort of hybrid accent, half Scottish and half carrot cruncher. You doont hare ''im saying goo instead of go, or ha ya fa'' gotta dickey bor? (instead of, excuse me, my good fellow, but does your father possess a donkey, by any chance?). Equally, I have never heard him ask: Ha ya gotta loight bor? Not yet, anyway - give him time.

[quote user="ncfc90"]Well your brain tells you that it''s blue. It is also to do with the atmospere and how it scatters all sorts of colours, but they are all absorbed expect the blue, or something like that [:S]
[/quote]

I thought as the spectrum of colours is seperated, blue is not strong enough to travel through the atmosphere, or to be absorbed, so its the only colour we see in the sky??!

Science was quite a while ago...

yeah but anyone can edit wikipedia so not necessarily reliable

getting back to the point :P if i didnt know it was doc i would say it was more gow''s voice lol who would you think he would be?

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]

[/quote]

maybe for the same reason Andy Townsend, Tony Cascarino and Ray Houghton did.. because they are "faux" irish?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Phil E Stein"]

[/quote]

maybe for the same reason Andy Townsend, Tony Cascarino and Ray Houghton did.. because they are "faux" irish?

[/quote]

Not quite the same as those listed jas!

[quote user="Irish canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Phil E Stein"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cascarino was about as Irish as Pele.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Irish canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Phil E Stein"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cascarino was about as Irish as Pele.

[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote user="ncfc90"]Well your brain tells you that it''s blue. It is also to do with the atmospere and how it scatters all sorts of colours, but they are all absorbed expect the blue, or something like that [:S][/quote]meaning the sky is every colour except blue

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"]The best accent is Steve McLaren''s new and authentic dutch accent, reproduced here for your enjoyment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90

What a cock.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that, MT. It''s a classic. If the wally with the brolly ever tires of football management, he could always try a new career in comedy I suppose.