Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Is this the famous "Manc falling through the roof of the barclay"?

That looks like him. The roof probably was asbestos.

I remember that Nationwide were filming the Mancs on the train on their way to the match............perhaps the BBC were hopeful that something may happen!?!

That was the bad old days of football I''m afraid,

Their "fans" favourite trick in those days was to stampede en masse along the roads bowling over anyone in their path. It got to the point that we used to leave a quarter of hour before the end to avoid getting caught up with them.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ7juikRlUQ

Can anyone clarify this? Just wondered if the roof was asbestos as well?
[/quote]

Yes Duke, the Barclay had a corrugated asbestos roof as did most grounds at the time.

I remember watching the wooden boards at the back of the Barclay being systematically smashed out and then the Man Utd clown started prancing about on the roof. Next thing he''s not looking so clever as he''d fallen through onto the concrete terracing and was being stretchered off around the edge of the pitch along what''s now the City Stand.

The funniest part was when they were half way along a woman rang up to the stretcher and started clobbering him around the head with what looked like her handbag. The Man Utd fan was only semi-conscious after his unexpected close inspection with the terracing and was only saved from further damage by the City stewards who intervened and hauled her off him.

Hilarious.....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ7juikRlUQCan anyone clarify this? Just wondered if the roof was asbestos as well?[/quote]

Yes Duke, the Barclay had a corrugated asbestos roof as did most grounds at the time.

I remember watching the wooden boards at the back of the Barclay being systematically smashed out and then the Man Utd clown started prancing about on the roof. Next thing he''s not looking so clever as he''d fallen through onto the concrete terracing and was being stretchered off around the edge of the pitch along what''s now the City Stand.

The funniest part was when they were half way along a woman rang up to the stretcher and started clobbering him around the head with what looked like her handbag. The Man Utd fan was only semi-conscious after his unexpected close inspection with the terracing and was only saved from further damage by the City stewards who intervened and hauled her off him.

Hilarious.....

[/quote]I had always been led to believe that he was attacked by loads of Norwich fans after he fell through?I have to say looking at other clips from that game that the Man Utd fans don''t look very "hard" at all. The one who has fallen  through the stand looks a right p*ssy.Alot of them look like girls with their silly long hair, are these the people that made up the  firms of that era?I don''t think i would be intimidated or scared by them if they were around now yet Man Utd fans allegedly were the most infamous at the time for rioting in cities around the country.

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

That was the bad old days of football I''m afraid,

Their "fans" favourite trick in those days was to stampede en masse along the roads bowling over anyone in their path. It got to the point that we used to leave a quarter of hour before the end to avoid getting caught up with them.

Look at these lot though! They don''t look very hard to me. All silly long hair.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KShbjJ5_xws&feature=related

[/quote]

the one the cops carry out right at the end(the roof fan i expect) looks like Peter Beardsley...that explains the face then

jas :)

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Looks can be deceptive,

I can assure you they were thugs, long hair or not, and quite capable of causing much damage to property or people.

[/quote]

Can you clear something up for me please?When ever i see these "casuals"/ "hooligans" whatever you want to call them they are for the most part guys in their late thirties upwards with many being in their forties. Back in the 70''s and 80''s were the people that fought at football mainly young men? If so how old? Are these 40 something guys you see doing  it now just the ones who were into it when they were in their 20''s? Was it a young mans game fighting at the footy back in the day?

Organised ''casual'' firms didn''t really appear until the early 80''s, that generation are the ones who are still about nowadays albeit in their 40''s and 50''s.  Before that it was more a case of spontaneous acts of violence by large numbers of travelling fans, hence the large amount on Man U in that clip wearing colours.  So yes, to answer your question a lot of the trouble makers of that era were young lads and probably quite the norm for football fans back then....

I am ashamed to say, that in my youth I was one of those hooligans, although in most part of it we never went looking for it, but it always happened.  The only thing that many of us did do was defend the Barclay End from being taken over by whoever was visiting. That was the sort of the pinnacle to take over the clubs kop end type. I have photos from that game taken by the press at the back of the barclay, a right  old scrap was going on and sadly I was in the middle of it.  The lad who fell through the roof, wasn''t from Manure, he lived in Dereham but shouted his mouth that he was a Utd supporter. I can assure anyone who have doubts about the hardness of this lot, they were some of the worst to come to City, People used to go shopping in the city centre early so as to miss the manchester Utd hooligans running riot.Spurs weren''t that far away neither, Portsmouth fans, in our first promotion season under Ron Saunders, were in the City at 5.30am  just waiting to pick anyone off, I had to go into work early that Saturday to get time off for the match, and only just missed a right kicking.Why did we do it.. after all these years I still don''t have an answer, perhaps because someone else did, your mates did so you did. pathetic really and something I am ashamed of and would detest seeing anything like it come back

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]I am ashamed to say, that in my youth I was one of those hooligans, although in most part of it we never went looking for it, but it always happened.  The only thing that many of us did do was defend the Barclay End from being taken over by whoever was visiting. That was the sort of the pinnacle to take over the clubs kop end type. I have photos from that game taken by the press at the back of the barclay, a right  old scrap was going on and sadly I was in the middle of it.  The lad who fell through the roof, wasn''t from Manure, he lived in Dereham but shouted his mouth that he was a Utd supporter. I can assure anyone who have doubts about the hardness of this lot, they were some of the worst to come to City, People used to go shopping in the city centre early so as to miss the manchester Utd hooligans running riot.Spurs weren''t that far away neither, Portsmouth fans, in our first promotion season under Ron Saunders, were in the City at 5.30am  just waiting to pick anyone off, I had to go into work early that Saturday to get time off for the match, and only just missed a right kicking.Why did we do it.. after all these years I still don''t have an answer, perhaps because someone else did, your mates did so you did. pathetic really and something I am ashamed of and would detest seeing anything like it come back[/quote]

Yes, i have heard this, that back in those days for a lot of guys a fight at the football was just part  of going to the football. You were''nt a hooligan like you are labelled now, you just joined in if it kicked off (which from what  i can gather it did alot).I was working on a site a few months back and this guy i was working with is in with the Norwich lot and he was  telling  me  the same thing that fighting was just part of the Saturday afternoon football experience for alot of young guys. He pointed out a couple of guys in  their mid forties (one of whom was an office  site worker quite high up) who were lovely chaps who you would think  would not say boo to a goose, he said " see him, he used to fight at the football back in the day".I have also  heard that a certain guy who used to be involved high up with the stewarding at Norwich games was also in the day a  Stein.Is it fair to say do you think that the young people who come on this site and get on their high horse about football violence should  first ask their Dad if he used to fight at the football, and that if these same people were young uns in the 70''s and 80''s that there is a good chance  they would be joining  in the fighting as well?

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]I am ashamed to say, that in my youth I was one of those hooligans, although in most part of it we never went looking for it, but it always happened.  The only thing that many of us did do was defend the Barclay End from being taken over by whoever was visiting. That was the sort of the pinnacle to take over the clubs kop end type. I have photos from that game taken by the press at the back of the barclay, a right  old scrap was going on and sadly I was in the middle of it.  The lad who fell through the roof, wasn''t from Manure, he lived in Dereham but shouted his mouth that he was a Utd supporter. I can assure anyone who have doubts about the hardness of this lot, they were some of the worst to come to City, People used to go shopping in the city centre early so as to miss the manchester Utd hooligans running riot.Spurs weren''t that far away neither, Portsmouth fans, in our first promotion season under Ron Saunders, were in the City at 5.30am  just waiting to pick anyone off, I had to go into work early that Saturday to get time off for the match, and only just missed a right kicking.Why did we do it.. after all these years I still don''t have an answer, perhaps because someone else did, your mates did so you did. pathetic really and something I am ashamed of and would detest seeing anything like it come back[/quote]

I bet though, at the time it was good fun!

Fighting was part and parcel of growing up in those days though, the Schoolyard saw at least one fight every week - something my kids have never witnessed. And in those days we did not have violent video games and DVDs in the home....

[quote]I bet though, at the time it was good fun![/quote]

I can''t argue with that, perhaps once I didn''t think so, being against a brick walled dead end street with 40 or so Leicester fans charging at you, there were only 15 of us.   First and only time I  nearly needed some andrex.

I well remember standing in the river end as a 15 year old watching the gaps appearing in the boards at the back of the Barclay as they dismembered the stand, Manure fans were the worst in them days as they had such large numbers and the police struggled to control them. It was usually interesting when the London clubs came to town as well, remember it kicking off on more than one occasion on Carrow bridge and along riverside road when Spurs were here.

Anybody who looks back at those days with anything less than thought of thank God that''s history is mad.

I still have scars from that day, both physical and mental.

I lost my job because of it, lost my liberty because of it.

A period in history is what it is, and where it should stay.

that guy off the roof , was attacked because he had been dropping bits of the roof onto the city fans below and therefore a revenge issue occurred , I was a bit young to go to Man U games then - went to others where there were trouble - including the on pitch battle against Spurs after an FA cup tie in 1983  - seen many people go for a swim as they walked along riverside

[quote user="gary "]

that guy off the roof , was attacked because he had been dropping bits of the roof onto the city fans below and therefore a revenge issue occurred , I was a bit young to go to Man U games then - went to others where there were trouble - including the on pitch battle against Spurs after an FA cup tie in 1983  - seen many people go for a swim as they walked along riverside [/quote]

I can remember one gentleman who went for an involuntary dip just before our ''59 cup matches.

He was "helped" into the water by irate supporters to whom he was trying to tout a fistful of hard-to-get match tickets at inflated prices !

[quote user="gary "]

that guy off the roof , was attacked because he had been dropping bits of the roof onto the city fans below and therefore a revenge issue occurred , I was a bit young to go to Man U games then - went to others where there were trouble - including the on pitch battle against Spurs after an FA cup tie in 1983  - seen many people go for a swim as they walked along riverside

[/quote]

I remember the trouble on the pitch after the cup game with spuds in 1983, think the steins were involved in that one. Good night though, we won the game 2-1 if I remember rightly. In them days we had a decent cup fighting tradition, how things have changed.

As I left the ground that day after the match, as a nine year old with me Mum, some Manure fans (of mid teenage years so much bigger than me) tried to nick the scarves I was wearing around me wrists (it was all the rage in them days to wear three or more scarves to show your loyalty).  Me mam gave a swing of her leg and kicked one of them in the balls and he went off up the road squealing.  Not all of them were as hard as they made out!  Thanks Mum RIP!

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"][quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Looks can be deceptive,

I can assure you they were thugs, long hair or not, and quite capable of causing much damage to property or people.

[/quote]

Can you clear something up for me please?

When ever i see these "casuals"/ "hooligans" whatever you want to call them they are for the most part guys in their late thirties upwards with many being in their forties. Back in the 70''s and 80''s were the people that fought at football mainly young men? If so how old? Are these 40 something guys you see doing  it now just the ones who were into it when they were in their 20''s?

Was it a young mans game fighting at the footy back in the day?
[/quote]

It''s still the same people causing the trouble today as it was then.  Just occasionally they ring in other younger people, as recently demonstrated by our own father and son team running riot in Leicester.  The "yoof" today have too many other pleasures to waste time on the plans necessary for a scrimmage at the ground (or are too busy writing on line to worry about going outside and having a go).  Generally nowadays everyone has learnt that you can''t fight within half a mile of a footy ground and hope to get away with it anyway. 

My recent experience living in a two club city is that most young supporters don''t get over worked up about the other club, but the 40 somethings, once they''ve had a few still look back to those fighting days with nostaglia and let it rip regularly given the chance. 

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="the duke of norfolk"][quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

Looks can be deceptive,

[/quote]

Can you clear something up for me please?When ever i see these "casuals"/ "hooligans" whatever you want to call them they are for the most part guys in their late thirties upwards with many being in their forties. Back in the 70''s and 80''s were the people that fought at football mainly young men? If so how old? Are these 40 something guys you see doing  it now just the ones who were into it when they were in their 20''s? Was it a young mans game fighting at the footy back in the day?

So basically fighting at the football is a hobby to them and they can''t let it go.[/quote]

It''s still the same people causing the trouble today as it was then.  Just occasionally they ring in other younger people, as recently demonstrated by our own father and son team running riot in Leicester.  The "yoof" today have too many other pleasures to waste time on the plans necessary for a scrimmage at the ground (or are too busy writing on line to worry about going outside and having a go).  Generally nowadays everyone has learnt that you can''t fight within half a mile of a footy ground and hope to get away with it anyway. 

My recent experience living in a two club city is that most young supporters don''t get over worked up about the other club, but the 40 somethings, once they''ve had a few still look back to those fighting days with nostaglia and let it rip regularly given the chance. 

[/quote]