Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Referee accountability

Having watched the extended highlights last night, I really can’t see how we didn’t get a penalty from the elbowed clearance early in the first half. It was so blatant, but neither the referee or assistant deemed it a foul. They’d probably say “but the Doc was fouling”, if that’s the case give a freekick to Watford, make it clear to the fans.

I really think that referees should be made fully accountable for their decisions, and in the same way that a member of management team is required to face the press, the referee should be made to do the same.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]

Having watched the extended highlights last night, I really can’t see how we didn’t get a penalty from the elbowed clearance early in the first half. It was so blatant, but neither the referee or assistant deemed it a foul. They’d probably say “but the Doc was fouling”, if that’s the case give a freekick to Watford, make it clear to the fans.

I really think that referees should be made fully accountable for their decisions, and in the same way that a member of management team is required to face the press, the referee should be made to do the same.

[/quote]

Whilst I agree that there should be more consistency, I cannot condone anything that makes the job harder for refs.  We are struggling to get good quality officials at the moment with fewer and fewer people prepared to give up their weekends for 90 minutes of abuse.

I think it should be made part of the UEFA coaching badge that you do a seasons refereeing.  This would help the managers to better understand the demands and would generate a bit more respect.

[quote user="First Wizard"]And was Lee''s ''goal'' offside? on the highlights, the lino took ages to raise his flag.[/quote]It''s that irritating rule whereby the assistant has to wait for the offside player to touch the ball (ie. become active) before he raises his flag. Assistants should be given the discretion to decide when a player is interfering and when to raise their flag.

[quote user="First Wizard"]And was Lee''s ''goal'' offside? on the highlights, the lino took ages to raise his flag.[/quote]

I was angry about that as I felt it was played back by one of their players - my daughter sitting next to me said that on Radio Norfolk they said I was right. If I can see that why can''t the officials?

The ball was played back by a city player (it hit him more than was played). From the highlights it''s a very tough one to call. There was certainly no daylight, but he was probably a tad in front of the defender.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]The ball was played back by a city player (it hit him more than was played). From the highlights it''s a very tough one to call. There was certainly no daylight, but he was probably a tad in front of the defender.[/quote]Daylight rule is gone, it''s now any part of the player that can play the ball. It''s why alot of these that seem level are given. I think alot of these people moaning about refs, especially when they judge it on a tv reply after the game, should give reffing a go. It''s not an easy job, you can''t see everything.

I think alot of these people moaning about refs, especially when they judge it on a tv reply after the game, should give reffing a go. It''s not an easy job, you can''t see everything.

D Urso was close to the action when Drury was clattered and decided not to give it, even the referees assessor agreed we should have had a penalty and he was in the stand. The standard of refereeing has declined but those at the FA seem to think that everything is rosy. Kettle who was the referee when we played Cardiff was appalling (It was interesting to read in a national newspaper that one game Kettle refereed in the Championship "it was a poor game but if it had been a good game the referee would have spoilt it").

Saturdays referee was poor and it was interesting to read what Redknapp said a few weeks ago about this referee.

The paying public are entitled to a consistent standard of refereeing the rules of the game are the same week after week its the application of the rules that vary week by week. 

Some of the refereeing in the english league this season has been horendous. It''s a tough job, but some of them especially outside of the top flight dont even look fit enough to keep up with play. I dont think you can make them accountable in any real way but i think some are still paid a pretty hefty salary on i think i saw that 24 ref''s get £33,000 a year as a retainer and then £500 for every premier league match and £210 for football league games. the rest just get £210 without the retainer. But those 24 refs are not required to give up their other careers aslong as they are avaliable for their match commitments.

Maybe more professional salaried refs, who are not allowed to do another career and therefore can spend the week making sure they are focussed on the matches not frazzled out by another job. They maybe can also be attached to a local club so they can train and be somewhere near the fitness levels of professional players (obviously they could never ref matchs for that club or even the same league games). It might also help the players and the refs respect each other alittle more. I dont understand why we have amatuer referee''s for a professional sport.

Is that why they flag when the offside player is standing on the touchline and the ball flies 20 feet over his head into row Z ? Never have understood that !