Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Hopes and realistic aims for next season

Assuming we stay up in the championship (I''m fully confident we can do it)- what do you think the club are aiming to do next season?The loanees : Jason Shackell, David Carney, David Mooney, Adrian Leijer, Alan Lee , Alan Gow and Ryan Bertrand all return to their clubs. Without them we only have 24 players in the squad ( 8 of those are youngsters). Dont also forget that in the 16 (squad not inc. youngsters) we have Jamie Cureton, Matty Pattison, Carl Cort and Mark Fotheringham -players that havent exactly set the world alight and havent featured regularly in the first team since the dream team took over.  Taking those 4 out of the equation we have 12 players who most would be happy with in the first team. Call me a pessimist but with only 12 players in the squad capable of championship football we need a hell of a lot of money to get in the 8/9 players that we would require for a decent season next year. I dont think Auntie Delia (and her board) has the money needed to get in those players - uh oh!  There has been talk of Jason Shackell, Alan Lee, Gow and Bertrand staying with us (amongst the fans)- thats all well and good but quality players cost money and I just cannot see us signing any of the 4 loanees mentioned above . This brings me on to the main point of my thread-  what are the club going to do? In an ideal scenario the board will back the ''dream team'' to the hilt and we''ll buy the 4 loan players and 4 or 5 others to give us hope of a great season next season. OR   Will we go down the old un-ambitious route of not putting the boat out and preparing for another season of loan players and surviving or going down?IMO Sammy Clingan is critical to us going down the first route. As much as I dont want him to go, getting some-where in the region of 3M for him could help enormously.  I just hope the board have learnt from their previous mistakes and are already planning for next season- with ambition! We can but hope...

I think if we stay up the board will back BG and team as much as they can afford to do so!

There will be money in the pot, from the sale of Bell and possibly Clingan and if we get a few of the big earners off the books there will be moeny for wages.

However I doubt we would be able to afford to bring in more than a couple of the big name loanees we have at the moment with Shacks and Lee getting my vote.  In addition think Gow is a done deal.

There will be more loans in next season but think if the management have a full pre season to work with the players and a bit of support next year will be an improvement.  Could it be any worse?

If we remain in the Championship I hope lessons have been learned and we don''t make the same error with recruiting too many loan players.         I would like to see the money found for the permanent signings of Shackell, Gow and Lee, with other parts of the squad filled with hungry league players,the likes of  N''Guessan, Hall, Campbell-Rice (if relegated) and possibly some Non League ,Irish, Scandinavians, Aussies, someone playing in America but definately no inbetweenies.         If we have to use loan players I would hope it would be no more than two at any given time.       

If there isn''t any changes in the boardroom or further investment found.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bcpj-q0Snc

My obvious hope is that we win the league - whichever one we''re in. The realistic aim if we''re in League One is to escape it as quickly as possible. If we''re still in The Championship, hopefully we can at least make the play-offs next season.