Sign in to follow this  
Canary Pirate

I couldn't help thinking......

Today I attended the funeral of a friend who unfortunately lost his long battle against cancer. He lived near Stowmarket and the funeral service was in Ipswich. He was an avid Norwich supporter and in keeping with his character at the request of his wife and daughter there was to be no wearing of black. It was to be normal clothing and including footy shirts if desired.

As he worked in Suffolk there was a mixture of persons wearing Norwich and Ipswich shirts. It just so happened that those wearing Ipswich shirts sat to the left of the aisle and those ( including myself ) wearing Norwich shirts sat to the right of the aisle during the service. We all then went for prepared refreshments afterwards. I had a very interesting conversation with some Ipswich supporters about the forthcoming game on Sunday and it was refreshing to exchange views discussing our hopes, fears and expectations etc.

Ultimately, this was a sad occasion but it was also a celebration of the life of someone who loved his family, cared for his friends and frankly was just a right decent bloke.

I could''nt help thinking, " what a pity we could''nt be as tolerant and respectful of each other in life as we were in sorrow, there is no need for the use of derogatory words such as SCUM etc etc "

R I P   Phil

[:(][:)][:D]          

When I posted on here in February asking for sponsorship for a 10k I''m running for Cancer Research, one of the first people to donate was an Ipswich supporter who sent me the following message:

"sorry it''s not much but i''m on a short working week. It doesn''t matter who we support in football when fighting this awful disease. Good luck.  "

At the end of the day, although rivalry in football is all part of being a supporter, it should never be taken too far. There are, believe it or not, more important things.

We all have the fact that we''re football fans in common, don''t we? In sorrow people show their true colours - in ''life'' we can exchange humourous rivallry but ultimately (as the Evertonians showed after Hillsborough for example) we have a shared root.

im sorry for your loss...a bit of football banter is what its all about as long as it doent go to far...at the end of the day we are all human(except the scummers...joke)[Y]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]im sorry for your loss...a bit of football banter is what its all about as long as it doent go to far...at the end of the day we are all human(except the scummers...joke)[Y][/quote]

Banter, joking and rivallry are all fine, you are right " I think we ALL probably know what examples of taking it too far are !

[quote user="Beauseant"]

When I posted on here in February asking for sponsorship for a 10k I''m running for Cancer Research, one of the first people to donate was an Ipswich supporter who sent me the following message:

"sorry it''s not much but i''m on a short working week. It doesn''t matter who we support in football when fighting this awful disease. Good luck.  "

At the end of the day, although rivalry in football is all part of being a supporter, it should never be taken too far. There are, believe it or not, more important things.

[/quote]

Good on him ! I suppose its like many situations in life, its probably a minority who overstep the mark but it tends to be them that are remembered ???