Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Son of 'Nigel Boy'!

After reading the comments of Doomcaster and his cohort Munby in today''s Pink Un''s main board, I am now in utter despair!. 

Between them, they seem to have made it clear, that poor bloody ''Nigel Boy'', will get ''bu***r all to spend in January on a striker, who is so badly needed by the club.

In my opinion, these witless and timid men help run this club for us, the fans.

But, they cannot see that the perilous league position we are now in, is mainly down to their tight fisted policies of restraint and caution in the first place.

After Nigel, the team and fans broke their guts getting promoted last year, they, and the rest of the board, are now content it seems, to flush all that hard work down the toilet.

If we are relegated, I know where my finger will be pointing the blame at, and it sure as hell, won''t be pointing at ''Nigel Boy'' and the lads!.

They damn well knew as soon as we were promoted, that they would have to invest in decent players. Nigel could only spend what he was given. 

So they should, I believe, have moved heaven and earth to assist him in this. Come on, could you build a premiership team on approx £2 million?.

Do you really fancy a cold and wet midweek trip to the likes of Rotherham, next year?. Because I know I don''t!.

This sickens me, it really does. Shame on them, and any supporter who shares their policy of restraint at this critical stage of OUR season, and even maybe, our long term future!. 

Damn right First Wizard - the only way this club can move forward is to spend, spend, spend. The following examples prove my point:

LEEDS UNITED - As a result of "living the dream" and spending beyond their means, Leeds are now sitting gloriously at the bottom of Division 1. What imbecile would suggest we wouldn''t want to echo this achievement?

IPSWICH TOWN -  Ditto

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - Ditto

DERBY COUNTY - Ditto

BRADFORD CITY - Ditto

Only I simpleton would agree...er....disagree

For God''s sake, how many times are we going to have the same thread!

I would be more despairing if we''d shelled out a fortune on a bunch of un-proven coca-cola strikers or some aging has been rejects from other prem clubs and put ourselves up the proverbial creek without a paddle if it doesn''t come off. I certainly wouldn''t want us to be spending 6Mill on Harewood who''s only managed 5 goals in the fizzy league and hasn''t managed more than 10 per season in the last 4 or so.

A lot of Doncaster''s statement is, IMHO, positioning the club for when the transfer window opens, both in terms of other clubs and possibly Worthington. They don''t want to appear to have plenty of cash to spend EVEN IF that''s not strictly true. Let''s wait and see, so long as we''re in touch with the rest of the possible relegation candidates come Jan then panic ye not.

Oh no here we go again, part 3 of the "The Board want us to get relegated and one Striker will save us" saga.............enjoy!!!

Don''t get me wrong, like everyone else Yellow & Green, I would love to see Nigel with a sweet £5 Million burning a hole in his back pocket, but people SERIOUSLY, it ain''t gonna happen.  It is for the LONG TERM GOOD of this fine club that this won''t happen.

If someone could guarantee that one striker worth £5M or less would GUARANTEE our premiership status then I am sure that the board would buy him flat out, but the cold hard fact is no one can guarantee that.

Please, please, please, stop crying about lack of funds, lack of the board taking some risks and wait and see what Nigel has got out of the remaining fixtures between now and January.  If we win half and draw half I am sure all this nonsense will have calmed down a bit and then whoever he buys will be a help to an already good squad.

I know you only bring this up because you care and badly want us to stay in the Prem, we all do, but its not serving any purpose at the moment other than to start the same old subjects over and over and its all in a negative light when what we want right now is some positive vibes, please

[quote]For God''s sake, how many times are we going to have the same thread! I would be more despairing if we''d shelled out a fortune on a bunch of un-proven coca-cola strikers or some aging has been rejects...[/quote]

That''s all fine and good Spat, but don''t lets see you moaning at the end of January, yes?.

I know I''m not the first to say it 1st Wizard, but you are being boring and getting people down with the same dull thread wreathed in your mock olde english / mystical way which if written by anybody less fussy in their prose would just be a pointless rant.

Have a word with yourself.

[quote]Oh no here we go again, part 3 of the "The Board want us to get relegated and one Striker will save us" saga.............enjoy!!! Don''t get me wrong, like everyone else Yellow & Green, I would lo...[/quote]

Pearls of wisdom from the sensible Stevenage one, I will cool it a little, ok?.

But, if come January, we end up with some cut price donkey, or worse, a Shefri Kugi type donkey, then I''m going to start again, big time. 

Fair enough?, my friend!.

I will be disappointed if not gutted if we''re looking like going down come Jan. But I won''t be moaning about lack of ambition if there''s no-one available who we can afford, who will add something to the squad. Perhaps it''s naive but i have a crazy idea that Worthy and the club want the same as we all do. Survival, both in the Prem and off the pitch.

I think that I have already said it elsewhere but the best course for the club will be to take in staff on loan until the end of the season.

If the players keep the club in the Premiership no doubt offers can be made. If they fail to keep us up then off they go, thanks for all the hard work, good luck with your future - no strings attached.

Why waste millions on unproven rubbish or has beens? I can understand why the board don''t want to waste a fortune - wasn''t a certain D Huckerby a loan signing before we actually stumped up for the transfer? Didn''t Birmingham do exactly the same thing in their first season back in the Premiership - signing the likes of Dugarry, Forsell etc on loan during the January window and as a result staying up?

[quote]I will be disappointed if not gutted if we''re looking like going down come Jan. But I won''t be moaning about lack of ambition if there''s no-one available who we can afford, who will add something to t...[/quote]

Now I don''t mean this to sound patronising Spat, please believe me, I really don''t. And I''m trying to keep in mind that you are a very valuable junior poster.

But, I find it slightly alarming that you seem to accept, chapter and verse, and without question, just what the board says!.

I had to re check that it was you, and not Doomcaster, who had written your post.

Ah Wiz my old friend, stirring up trouble again are you?  I know I haven''t been posting much lately, but I have maintained a watching brief - and let me tell you, I have been extremely disappointed in the words I have been reading from you.  In the past your posts were well reasoned arguments, now however it seems you have become extremely negative in your thoughts.  You are almost becoming a cross between you arch nemesis Yankee and that old favourite from last year, ''Worthy Out''.........

Come on my friend, get things in perspective!

Temp - turn to your left, and have a look around. Do you see a brick wall anywhere?If you don''t, have a look the other way. Any brick walls?If you do see one, I think you would be better off trying to explain to that wall the points you are making to Mr Wizard.There has been a lot of sense posted on this subject, and all of it seems to have passed him by. I would advise nobody wasting their keyboard''s valuable life-span.

[quote]Now I don''t mean this to sound patronising Spat, please believe me, I really don''t. And I''m trying to keep in mind that you are a very valuable junior poster. But, I find it slightly alarming that ...[/quote]

You don''t so much sound patronising as utterly ignorant...

If you really want to forward this argument rather than constantly whining (by the way, how is the atmosphere in the River End nowadays?), try answering these questions:

1/ Who is this striker available for £3/4 million pounds that will guarantee our survival? Let''s have your suggestions...

2/ If we are relegated anyway, (after buying said striker & and increasing an already large debt), how would we able to retain/build a team to get back up?

3/ What do you think the experiences of Leeds United, Ipswich, Notts Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Bradford City, etc, have taught us?

Quote: Now I don''t mean this to sound patronising Spat, please believe me, I really don''t. And I''m trying to keep in mind that you are a very valuable junior poster. But, I find it slightly alarming that ...

if you don''t want to sound patronising then why mention that I''m a junior poster? That has no bearing on the validity or otherwise of what i said, it just means i don''t have the time or inclination to reply to every thread or start new ones on the same topic when apparently finished.

I don''t swallow everything the board says, but the course they are adopting seems to have reaped rewards so far, the hard evidence is there for all to see. I''m prepared to go with them until they prove otherwise rather than get depressed about a situation that hasn''t happened yet. Perhaps I''m just an optimist. What were you saying this time last year Mr Wizz?

[quote]Pearls of wisdom from the sensible Stevenage one, I will cool it a little, ok?. But, if come January, we end up with some cut price donkey, or worse, a Shefri Kugi type donkey, then I''m going to st...[/quote]

You know what I think?

I think that Wiz deep down knows that we are going to struggle this year and there is, if we are all honest, a very real chance of getting relegated.  He also knows that we are highly unlikey to spend loads of money on a decent striker.  Therefore by making these points now, when we get to January and we don''t buy a mega striker and we are still struggling at the bottom somewhere, he can turn round and say "I told you so ".  We will all then have to say, yes oh great wizard you were indeed right, how could we have been so stupid to have faith in our club to do well without a wad of cash

However, there would be no point in that Wiz, because we all know that what you are saying is right, we are going to struggle and we do need a striker, but spending loads of money isn''t the answer to a long term success, therefore it''s probably (note I am leaving myself a get out of jail free card in case the board come up trumps ) not going to happen and you can say I told you so till you are blue in the face.

[quote]You don''t so much sound patronising as utterly ignorant... If you really want to forward this argument rather than constantly whining (by the way, how is the atmosphere in the River End nowadays?), t...[/quote]

Westminster Canary:

I may be many things, but the wiz does not go round calling fellow posters ''utterly ignorant'' my friend.

Nor for your information, do I reside in the river end (however, I would not insult fellow City supporters, who do prefer to go there, like you just have!).

I would suggest to you, although of course, and bear in mind that I am in your words, utterly ignorant, that 3-5 million might just secure Harewood. And a lot of posters rate him highly, ok?.

If you believe that living in the big city, gives you the right to be so insulting to posters, than I for one, am glad that I live in sleepy Suffolk (Lowestoft area).

Although it would seem to me that ignorance is not just confined to the rural area''s!, yes?.

PS. You mentioned clubs, now in a mess (By the way, just how are Ipswich doing?) who''s boards, in my opinion, were not up to the morale standard of the current City board.

Are you seriously suggesting that City''s board would behave like them?.

1st wiz first you praise our board for having a high morale standing and the it is you who are asking the current board to behave like the immoral boards of Leeds etc by insisting on spending £3-5m on an average player (my opinion) when none of us know whether there is £5m to spend. If our board are of such high morale standing and state that there is only a limited transfer kitty I can only assume that you will be content with whatever the club spends in Jan if the board tell us that there is/was no more to spend? I didnt think so... No excuses for Westminster Canary - one of our city MPs perhaps? - for calling you ignorant though! OTBC

Can I just say all this "Dunkirk" spirit is making me positively nauseous.

We are struggling in general terms because we don''t have 11 players making a team to compete in this league and whilst I don''t think that spending 2, 3 or 4 Million on a striker will necessarily make everything ok I would hope that the judgement of the board and indeed the manager could be trusted in terms of the importance of investing in the team and investing wisely.

Sadly I don''t think Worthy has followed his own script. will only bring in players that are better than what we have ?

The only one of the summer signings to make any impact is Simon Charlton. Once again we didn''t sign a Striker (even though we didn''t have a prolific 1st division striker in our championship season, Huckerby is not a striker and 14 is not prolific)

I am beginning to think the Watford model would probably have been better to follow than this. Take the money and run, all the way back to the championship.

Perhaps we should see if we can get sponsorship by Disney ?

Westminster Canary, you make some excellent points. Many posters on here share your view, particularly me. Additionally, not many on here are more critical than I am, on occasions. A suggestion, however. You appear to be a fairly new poster and I would love to see more input from you but would rather you find a way of doing it without insults.

Wizard, my dear friend, I particularly liked what you had to say to Stevenage Fan, i.e. that you would take his advice and cool it ( on this subject ) until the end of January. I know there is enough other creative subject matter for us to work with, and so do you.

"Sorry Pincer my friend, no pills or magic potions I''m afraid, just stupid postings and a belated realisation on my part, that we have a team and manager/board to be proud of.
Maybe I should now call myself The reborn wizard!"

I''m not picking on you Wizard i just couldn''t resist seeing what people were posting this time last last year and what should I find!

Ha ha ha. Nice one. What have you got to say to that then Wizard? Do you start every season slagging off the board unless we''re top of the league?

[quote]"Sorry Pincer my friend, no pills or magic potions I''m afraid, just stupid postings and a belated realisation on my part, that we have a team and manager/board to be proud of. Maybe I should now call ...[/quote]

Firstly, I regard all of you poster''s as my cybor ''friends'' and fellow city supporters, yes, even YC and those who argue with me, and visa versa. 

And secondly, I have to admit that I have ''over played'' this issue for far too long now (a bad fault of mine I know, but I do believe what I say, and sometimes sheer passion gets the better of me!) but I promise I will, as you request, refrain from posting on this matter again.

Unless of course, one of you lot raise the subject again in January.

Is that fair enough everybody?.

Mr 1st Wizard, sir, dear friend: This is very fair and thank you. Now, just to put your mind at ease if, by the end of January, we have seen no signings and/or the outlook for the team is no more favourable, then i think it''s also fair that you regard the subject as fair game again.

This is yet another conversation of the deaf, and just as mind-numbing as all the others. So much for the best football forum on the web.

Hallo?............