Sign in to follow this  
ca

He's coming home - but maybe not to play.

Think the majority of fans realised that Hucks would end up back at Norwich to work in some capacity rather than play and this interview confirms that in my eyes

''''The passion for his former club is still there is bucketfuls, but Huckerby insists that constant rumours of a return as a player in the new year are just that.

“I might be coming back to Norwich, but I don''t know if I will be playing,” he said. “I will be 33 coming round to 34. Everyone would love for it to happen but it''s possibly a year too late.

“Obviously one or two people have made a lot out of it. I do still speak to Gunny but we have to look at reality. Obviously I want to come back to work at Norwich in some capacity, but playing might be a bit of a stretch.”

Full interview http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED17%20Apr%202009%2008%3A25%3A38%3A160

“The next two days are going to be awful,” he said. “I don''t know yet how I''m going to follow it. It will be three or four o''clock in the morning over here so I will have to sort something out. It''s not on TV or anything but I''ll find a way. We''re playing the night before but I have a little thigh injury and I don''t think I''ll be playing anyway."

I - N - T - E - R - N - E - T  Darren.

We spoke to Hucks after the Man in the Stands piece and he more or less repeated what he said during the Summer - there had been no formal or informal approach but he''d chatted with Mr Gunn and it had come up in conversations.   Everyone was aware of his affection for the club and so "something might be possible but, as I''ve said, I have to take one season at a time, given the injury niggles of the past couple of years."

I am sure I won''t get a thank you from Done Deal Wiz  but unfortunately his hip is playing up again - he is having a jab to get through some games, sat out the public training a fortnight ago, and partially sat out the public training this week.

If you read the local USA bloggers they seem to think he is a bit "off the boil" compared to last season and the two things may not be unconnected - that and the fact that, like Championship opponents, he is no longer the surprise threat of last season and their opponents of a fortnight ago said before the game that they would try to counter him by putting two people on him.  

If he can''t beat his hip problem it wouldn''t surprise me if this turns out to be his last playing season.  If you were unfortunate enough to drop into League One he''s famous enough to be a  (literally) "marked man" there, too.  Of his games so far this season he''s gone off on 73 minutes at the latest, 60 something last week.

He said in the Summer that he felt very fit but added: "I''ll have to judge it when I am back playing competitive games again.  That is the only test and we''ll have to see how that goes."

I think he has carefully chosen his words here, its a done deal but he will remain loyal to San Jose till the end, probably back where he belongs as a player coach to the young un''s

could be good next season for about 20 cameo / sub appearances but still a great influence .

[quote user="Camuldonum"]We spoke to Hucks after the Man in the Stands piece and he more or less repeated what he said during the Summer - there had been no formal or informal approach but he''d chatted with Mr Gunn and it had come up in conversations.   Everyone was aware of his affection for the club and so "something might be possible but, as I''ve said, I have to take one season at a time, given the injury niggles of the past couple of years."

I am sure I won''t get a thank you from Done Deal Wiz  but unfortunately his hip is playing up again - he is having a jab to get through some games, sat out the public training a fortnight ago, and partially sat out the public training this week.

If you read the local USA bloggers they seem to think he is a bit "off the boil" compared to last season and the two things may not be unconnected - that and the fact that, like Championship opponents, he is no longer the surprise threat of last season and their opponents of a fortnight ago said before the game that they would try to counter him by putting two people on him.  

If he can''t beat his hip problem it wouldn''t surprise me if this turns out to be his last playing season.  If you were unfortunate enough to drop into League One he''s famous enough to be a  (literally) "marked man" there, too.  Of his games so far this season he''s gone off on 73 minutes at the latest, 60 something last week.

He said in the Summer that he felt very fit but added: "I''ll have to judge it when I am back playing competitive games again.  That is the only test and we''ll have to see how that goes."[/quote]

2 pointsCam:

1. At no point does Darren issue a direct denial of him playing for us next season.

2. My hip is not playing up![:D]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]We spoke to Hucks after the Man in the Stands piece and he more or less repeated what he said during the Summer - there had been no formal or informal approach but he''d chatted with Mr Gunn and it had come up in conversations.   Everyone was aware of his affection for the club and so "something might be possible but, as I''ve said, I have to take one season at a time, given the injury niggles of the past couple of years."

He said in the Summer that he felt very fit but added: "I''ll have to judge it when I am back playing competitive games again.  That is the only test and we''ll have to see how that goes."[/quote]

2 pointsCam:

1. At no point does Darren issue a direct denial of him playing for us next season.

2. My hip is not playing up![:D]

[/quote]

I shouldn''t think it is with all that virgin exercise[;)]

Don''t think you''ve told us anything we didn''t already know Cam but guess as usual you like to make out you know something that we don''t to put us all in our places.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Don''t think you''ve told us anything we didn''t already know Cam but guess as usual you like to make out you know something that we don''t to put us all in our places.

[/quote]

Quite a hypocritical little assertion there from the board''s self appointed moderator.

I think it''s obvious that he will be back in some capacity, but, as has been mentioned, he is still having problems with his hip so I wouldn''t be surprised if it''s not his last season as a player. If he comes back in some sort of coaching capacity, then that should give just about everyone connected with the club a big lift. His best years with us were 2003-06, but he is a legend and a true Norwich fan as well who should have been given a much, much better send-off than what he did get - and a very belated one at that!

I agree with all of his points, bar the one about letting Shackell go. It was NOT a ridiculous decision (I think I''m right in saying that we had Stefanovic, Kennedy and Archie from Spurs with us at the time he was sold - correct me if I''m wrong somebody!), although with hindsight it would have been more preferable had we just loaned him out until January instead of selling him, for him to come back like the player he has done.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]Did you know his hip was causing problems again? I didn''t

thanks Cam. I think it''s likely to come to him coming as a part time coach - or youth coach with him on a pay as you play deal. A hucks on the bench to come on for 25 mins would be a real benefit to the team. He''s a crowd lifter and say when next season we need a goal or the crowd need a wake up, what better player to introduce?

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Did you know his hip was causing problems again? I didn''t

[/quote]

Neither did i.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Neither did i.

[/quote]

Does anyone not realise that CA is President of the Darren Huckerby Fan Club and is therefore the font of all knowledge with relation to her beloved Hucks? [;)]

Yep i really don''t think Cam was trying to show off or put us in our places CA. he was just adding to your post. nothing wrong with that at all.

I just hope it doesn''t mean that Gunny is still going to be in charge come the new year. Love the bloke as much as anybody but I still don''t think he would be any good as the long term manager. Please bring in somebody else.[;)]

lol. i agree! lets bring someone else in!!!!i hear Sousa''s free.... oohhh look so is Curbs! sure we could get him... or... Wise? Ince maybe? Promotion to the prem here we come!

I heard that he missed the first game of the season due to his hip.  I hope he takes it easy so that he is fit for us in November for our promotion charge...LOL.  

[quote user="The Chirp"]lol. i agree! lets bring someone else in!!!!i hear Sousa''s free.... oohhh look so is Curbs! sure we could get him... or... Wise? Ince maybe? Promotion to the prem here we come![/quote]Not with the current board in charge....

Hucks also said.........

"I think we need five points maybe from the last three games, draws aren''t good enough now."

Now Darren, how do you get five points without drawing?[:^)]

[quote user="CT "][quote user="The Chirp"]lol. i agree! lets bring someone else in!!!!i hear Sousa''s free.... oohhh look so is Curbs! sure we could get him... or... Wise? Ince maybe? Promotion to the prem here we come![/quote]Not with the current board in charge....[/quote]oops! i forgot, sack the board too! we''ll get richard branson in and venables as manager! ;-)

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Neither did i.

[/quote]

Does anyone not realise that CA is President of the Darren Huckerby Fan Club and is therefore the font of all knowledge with relation to her beloved Hucks? [;)]

[/quote]

No need to be sarcastic young Mark, good job I know you [:)] Its pretty easy to keep up with his games/news/interviews on the various websites/blogs and if you did you''d know he''s still bothered by his hip injury. Don''t need a Daily Star journo to tell me whats going on with players or ex players as I''m capable of doing that myself.

the less obsessed may appreciate the info without trawling the web

[quote user="The Chirp"]lol. i agree! lets bring someone else in!!!!

i hear Sousa''s free.... oohhh look so is Curbs! sure we could get him... or... Wise? Ince maybe?

Promotion to the prem here we come!
[/quote]

Thankfully in the world of Chirp the club is nearing the end of a great season, and i thought it was just the ostrich who buried it''s head, seems there are a few canaries who do the same.[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Hucks also said.........

"I think we need five points maybe from the last three games, draws aren''t good enough now."

Now Darren, how do you get five points without drawing?[:^)]

[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="T"]the less obsessed may appreciate the info without trawling the web[/quote]

I''m not obsessed I''ve moved on, but he was my favourite player and I still read up on his interviews, San Jose forums/websites to see how he''d doing if thats ok with you.

If he''ll be playing or not - perhaps dependant on which league we''re in? He mentions his age, but in League One he''d still be dangerous. Heck, he wouldn''t be that bad in the Championship, in my opinion.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]and you as usual decided to make a story out of nothing over your beloved hucks.

[quote user="missing in action"]
and you as usual decided to make a story out of nothing over your beloved hucks.
[/quote]

I thought it was a story from the front page of the pinkun but if it keeps you happy I''ll ask your permission  before I start a thread about an ex Norwich player on a Norwich site in future.